Illinois 2013

Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI

Re: Illinois 2013

Postby Cheesy Pie » November 5th, 2012, 10:49 am

XJcwolfyX wrote:
Cheesy Pie wrote:
Skink wrote:You just pick up some of these. I mean, I learned Science & Arts Academy is 6th best reading the Facebook page.

Heh. We got fourth, but we were absolutely ecstatic when we found out that South wasn't going to nats. :lol:

That's not nice, I love South!
Why don't you like them?!

I don't know, to be honest. I'm pretty sure it's extreme jealousy, however.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE

chia
State: IL

Postby chia » November 5th, 2012, 2:48 pm

Cheesy Pie wrote:I don't know, to be honest. I'm pretty sure it's extreme jealousy, however.
That's no reason! I mean, I'd sure like to have the success New Trier has had, but they get there through hard work every year and they seem to be nice people based on competitions (as a whole, they're not unsportsmanlike or snooty). Envy is no reason... Kennedy kids are smart enough too, it's a matter of team organization/cohesiveness and willingness to actually study.
One has to wonder what these teams think of the comments we make on here... just because their members don't have accounts/choose not to post doesn't mean they can't read what we say.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

tuftedtitmouse12
State: -

Postby tuftedtitmouse12 » November 5th, 2012, 4:33 pm

chia wrote:
Cheesy Pie wrote:I don't know, to be honest. I'm pretty sure it's extreme jealousy, however.
That's no reason! I mean, I'd sure like to have the success New Trier has had, but they get there through hard work every year and they seem to be nice people based on competitions (as a whole, they're not unsportsmanlike or snooty). Envy is no reason... Kennedy kids are smart enough too, it's a matter of team organization/cohesiveness and willingness to actually study.
One has to wonder what these teams think of the comments we make on here... just because their members don't have accounts/choose not to post doesn't mean they can't read what we say.

Heh, something to keep in mind when "gossiping", I suppose :P
peter, peter, peter

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C

Postby Skink » November 5th, 2012, 5:30 pm

I do wonder at times just how many people ARE reading our inane bantering...I mean, really, what do we know? :lol:

There ARE Stevenson/DW kids here; they just don't post in this topic. What I wanted to say was a reminder that IL is one of the single most competitive states for SO. Look at how DW and Marie Murphy perform at Nationals. The other IL teams, South* down to The Learning Vine and Hawthown South, to compete with them, amp up their game driving up the average performance of the AA teams and the better A ones. That said, those teams that do 'meh' at State--you guys--still have a lot to be proud of in this competitive environment. IL is where it's at! Placing at State in anything--or even coming close--should make anyone satisfied. If not? Remind yourself that there's someone who, for whatever reason, earned their medal more than you did. On a greater scale, there's a team that may have earned its place higher than yours for whatever reason. And that's fine. Hard reality to chew? Perhaps, but we all deal with that...
*let's recall DW climbed up only recently. Give it five years, and maybe a school nobody's heard of will have risen through the ranks.

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » November 5th, 2012, 9:25 pm

Hello everyone,

An invitational will be hosted at Valparaiso University on January 13, 2012. Many VU students are involved in planning this invitational, including a good percentage who have competed in Science Olympiad. This is the first year hosting an invitational with the goal of hosting a competition every year.

More information can be found at our website: http://www.valposcioly.com.

The competition is in Indiana, however, Valpo is relatively close to Northeastern Illinois, so teams in that region would not be too far away.

Have a good season!
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

nomynameisnotkevin

Postby nomynameisnotkevin » November 6th, 2012, 6:05 am

Anyone know which schools will be at the Hinsdale Invitational?

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby mrsteven » November 6th, 2012, 7:48 am

nomynameisnotkevin wrote:Anyone know which schools will be at the Hinsdale Invitational?

My coach said they were having issues regr. So we think my team got kicked out of the system.

Whos at palatine? Since thats the one thats sooner
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion

scm424

Postby scm424 » November 8th, 2012, 4:44 pm

mrsteven wrote:
nomynameisnotkevin wrote:Anyone know which schools will be at the Hinsdale Invitational?

My coach said they were having issues regr. So we think my team got kicked out of the system.

Whos at palatine? Since thats the one thats sooner

I believe Hinsdale South is only allowing schools to bring one team due to space or resource availability or something...

I'll be at Palatine! This is our first time going to the meet. Do you have any overall advice?

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby mrsteven » November 8th, 2012, 5:36 pm

Its a ton of fun. I like scioly meets more than schol bowl ones b/c there is more free time and you can actually talk with people from other teams and make good friends.
Study the night before... real scioly people study the night before... laziness....

Try your best? For rotationing events, talk with your partner QUIETLY I know people who just sit there and listen to other peoples conversations for answers T.T

What school are you from? I'm Buffalo Grove. Likeliness is you won't actually see much of me. Still in the middle of building 1/2 my events so just going to hang around and check out how far other people are right now and some ideas. I think I'm only actually competing in TPS otherwise hanging around engineering events. might help my coach do robot arm if i get really bored

XJcwolfyX

Postby XJcwolfyX » November 9th, 2012, 2:50 pm

Mrsteven what building events are you doing this year?
Medal Counter: 73

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby mrsteven » November 9th, 2012, 7:11 pm

XJcwolfyX wrote:Mrsteven what building events are you doing this year?

Robotic arm, maglev, gravity vehicle and probably pick up boom. So all but gliders.
Also doing TPS and probably materials science.
Just got home fom school actually (9:00) just finished milling the last of my pieces for my robot arm. Wiring this weekend

chia

Postby chia » November 9th, 2012, 7:41 pm

mrsteven wrote:Robotic arm, maglev, gravity vehicle and probably pick up boom. So all but gliders.
Also doing TPS and probably materials science.
So much for just three events, heh.

I still wish my team had been able to go to Hinsdale and/or Palatine, but oh well. We're taking two JV teams to CLC this year! :D
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>

mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby mrsteven » November 9th, 2012, 9:11 pm

Nice lol

Three... Four... Five. Whats the difference?

And like you should be taunting me :P more im on more challenge you have haha. Project #3 is gravity ;) finishing up on project #1 this next 2 weeks and starting #2 (maglev)

chia

Postby chia » November 9th, 2012, 9:31 pm

Wasn't taunting! Heh, I'm only doing one building event, actually, and it's the one you're not doing -points to sig- :P But I'd better make sure my builders are at the top of their game.
I've done woefully little event-related work yet myself - actually organizing the team (we're a lot bigger than we were last year, hence the 2nd JV team) has taken a lot of time :/
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>

chia

Postby chia » November 16th, 2012, 2:30 pm

Awkwardly double posting... but good luck scm424, mrsteven, and anyone else going to Palatine tomorrow! :) (Kind of wish we'd signed up for it, but I'll be at Scholastic Bowl instead, anyways)
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”