Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Illinois 2013

Post by Skink »

mrsteven wrote:And Ill leave it to the others to explain their locational situations.
I'm north of Springfield...somewhere :lol: ...

^are you thinking more like a build event or more hardcore study events? Too bad C didn't get Food Sci (it was that or Materials Science, as I understand); otherwise, I'd suggest that 'cause you missed out on the fun last season...
Cheesy Pie
Division: Grad
State: MI
Been thanked: 0

Post by Cheesy Pie »

I'm in Naperville, and I hope to do Reach for the Stars, Heredity, Water Quality, and Rocks and Minerals.
100% of deaths are somehow caused by science.
Don't be a statistic.
Don't do science.

Naperville Central High School '17 :arrow: Michigan State University Physics '21
GO GREEN GO WHITE
nomynameisnotkevin

Post by nomynameisnotkevin »

I was really disappointed that there's no more Sounds of Music.

and btw I'm from Waubonsie Valley HS.

Does anyone know which invitationals are tougher/easier?

Last year we were in the one with New Trier/Stevenson I believe.
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

nomynameisnotkevin wrote:I was really disappointed that there's no more Sounds of Music.

and btw I'm from Waubonsie Valley HS.

Does anyone know which invitationals are tougher/easier?

Last year we were in the one with New Trier/Stevenson I believe.
There is no telling, depends on who signs up. I don't think I've ever been to an invite that had both teams absent. If anything though, I would WANT to attend it with them. If you can consistently beat both in your event your doing well.
Invites are for practice and sizing up against everyone else so I would go to as many as possible, especially the later ones when people are competent in their particular events. And also to hang out with other sci-oly people, I know I am xD
Sounds was good, never did it b/c I got too busy with all my other events but looked fun to build. Wouldn't want to perform but I could get someone else to do that if I were to have made the instruments.
Where is Waubonsie Valley near? Can't say I can pin point that one

Stink: You know me ;) I'm always engineering, however I want to get away from balsa-based events so I'm picking up some study ones (that I dont need to really study for between AP chem last year and AP Physics C this year I cover TPS already pretty well) . I'm excited for materials science, I'm actually applying for a double major to many schools for Aerospace Engineering and Materials Engineering

Cheesy Pie: So you're going to North or Central? I've heard so much about both from one Chia...
2011 Helicopters State Runner-up
2012 Helicopters State Champion
2013 Robot Arm State Champion
chia

Post by chia »

That reminds me - I wanted to go to two invites this year, but my coaches can't be at both, so... just Hinsdale for us. We haven't gone to it before, so I'll see how that goes.
Waubonsie is in Aurora, just west of Naperville.

I seem to remember Cheesy once telling me she will be going to (Naperville) Central. (Woot!) (Also, please don't leave us for IMSA.) (Like one of our most promising freshmen did this year. >_>)
Skink wrote:I'm north of Springfield...somewhere :lol: ...
Technically you're north of Naperville somewhere, what with that comment about us being "down south" or whatever it was in last year's thread :P
tuftedtitmouse12 wrote:I'm from ... well um...I was from Hawthorn Middle North :P
Keep us updated on how your quest to form a high school team goes - hopefully it'll go well :)
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

nomynameisnotkevin wrote:Does anyone know which invitationals are tougher/easier?
Hi...kevin...you can't exactly predict, as mrsteven said, but do know that some invites tend to have the same teams come repeatedly every year (ie if they're established ones). However, checking the first post, you will find there are a ton of C invites now, so I would expect (and this is pure conjecture) that teams will spread out a little more lessening the competition across the board. The alternate possibility is that teams go to more invitationals, but I'm a bit doubtful there.
mrsteven wrote:Where is Waubonsie Valley near? Can't say I can pin point that one
Five bucks says it's by Metea Valley...there's a string of Valley high schools in some area.
mrsteven wrote:Wouldn't want to perform but I could get someone else to do that if I were to have made the instruments.
You're not a musician? Isn't your avatar a clef? :?
mrsteven wrote:Stink
This is a Stink.

This is a Skink.

It's a crummy username, yes, but it's what I'm stuck with. I thought it was a good idea in '09...and, by the way, that's actually a really cute book, the I Stink one.
chia wrote:Technically you're north of Naperville somewhere, what with that comment about us being "down south" or whatever it was in last year's thread :P
What comment? That post doesn't exist ;) .

EDIT: random thought...what's preenting me from making the discussion topics for every other state? I mean, there's no written rule that you HAVE to be associated with that state, right?
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

sorry SKINK, mistype on my shiny new iPad :P
ya that would probably be a good guess
I'm a brass player (trombone, trumpet the like) So the sound of music instruments didnt suit it. I was thinking a trombone but the copper piping was to expensive since it would have to be copper piping for sound quality
... why would you feel the urge to start other states' pages? Let them do it at their leasure
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Skink »

Nice. And it was just a thought...I mwean, I could make 'Iowa 2013', but it would probably get no posts, anyways.
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

Skink wrote: EDIT: random thought...what's preenting me from making the discussion topics for every other state? I mean, there's no written rule that you HAVE to be associated with that state, right?
Basically the Scioly Code of Honor :P
mrsteven
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by mrsteven »

mnstrviola wrote:
Skink wrote: EDIT: random thought...what's preenting me from making the discussion topics for every other state? I mean, there's no written rule that you HAVE to be associated with that state, right?
Basically the Scioly Code of Honor :P
I have to chime in here. Your avatar is awesome. I used to watch Hamtaro (sp?) all the time.

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”