Ohio 2013

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2013

Post by silverheart7 »

I think I'm a little too late to join this debate, but I thought I'd contribute some thoughts.

In my region, we do not get states and regionals tests back. It never really occured to me to ask why, but I understand the points made above me.

Something I'd like to contribute is the idea of the tests being withheld to preserve something as simple as feelings. When I leave an event, or even a test in school, I normally have a good idea of what I knew, and what I need to work on. If I didn't do well, and I know it, getting a graded test back can be painful. I agonize over it for days, because seing a number in red ink makes everything worse.

We did have an issue last year, where a test was graded wrong. My coach knew directly from the placings that something wasn't right. That girl would not have gotten the placement she recieved, because she was third year and the best in our school. He put in an appeal, and it turns out the event superviser missed a page of her test, and forgot to give her 20 or 30 something more points. She would have won with the score she actually got.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
MMeteorite1
Division: C
State: OH

Post by MMeteorite1 »

silverheart7 wrote:I think I'm a little too late to join this debate, but I thought I'd contribute some thoughts.

In my region, we do not get states and regionals tests back. It never really occured to me to ask why, but I understand the points made above me.

Something I'd like to contribute is the idea of the tests being withheld to preserve something as simple as feelings. When I leave an event, or even a test in school, I normally have a good idea of what I knew, and what I need to work on. If I didn't do well, and I know it, getting a graded test back can be painful. I agonize over it for days, because seing a number in red ink makes everything worse.

We did have an issue last year, where a test was graded wrong. My coach knew directly from the placings that something wasn't right. That girl would not have gotten the placement she recieved, because she was third year and the best in our school. He put in an appeal, and it turns out the event superviser missed a page of her test, and forgot to give her 20 or 30 something more points. She would have won with the score she actually got.

Lots of great points on this topic. Appreciate all the thought and detail put into your replies. Definitely a more complex question once you dig into it.
chalker

Post by chalker »

There are lots of reasons tests aren't given back, including 'it's just the way we've always done it'. However, please know that there isn't some sort of blanket prohibition from the National office on releasing tests back to teams. So if you think this is truly something important, please consider talking to tournament supervisors about the possibility (just don't do it the day of the tournament... they are way too busy then). Also keep in mind that returning the tests requires significant labor. At the WSU Invitational we just ran, it took almost as much manpower to sort out all the tests and stuff them in the appropriate envelopes as it did to actually enter the scores into the scoring system.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

chalker wrote:There are lots of reasons tests aren't given back, including 'it's just the way we've always done it'. However, please know that there isn't some sort of blanket prohibition from the National office on releasing tests back to teams. So if you think this is truly something important, please consider talking to tournament supervisors about the possibility (just don't do it the day of the tournament... they are way too busy then). Also keep in mind that returning the tests requires significant labor. At the WSU Invitational we just ran, it took almost as much manpower to sort out all the tests and stuff them in the appropriate envelopes as it did to actually enter the scores into the scoring system.

Another topic. Has there every been any discussion about how many teams from Ohio go to Nationals? Similar to sports where stronger conferences that consistant finish high, they seem to get more qualifers into NCAA basketball and bowl games, etc. Ohio High school wrstling does it as well. Just a question. Please don't think I just a rebel with these questions. I love SCIOLY. Thanks
wlsguy

Post by wlsguy »

Each State gets to send the winner from their State competition. States with the highest membership then get another spot until the limit for the Natls is reached (generally 60 teams / division).
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

MMeteorite1 wrote:
chalker wrote:There are lots of reasons tests aren't given back, including 'it's just the way we've always done it'. However, please know that there isn't some sort of blanket prohibition from the National office on releasing tests back to teams. So if you think this is truly something important, please consider talking to tournament supervisors about the possibility (just don't do it the day of the tournament... they are way too busy then). Also keep in mind that returning the tests requires significant labor. At the WSU Invitational we just ran, it took almost as much manpower to sort out all the tests and stuff them in the appropriate envelopes as it did to actually enter the scores into the scoring system.

Another topic. Has there every been any discussion about how many teams from Ohio go to Nationals? Similar to sports where stronger conferences that consistant finish high, they seem to get more qualifers into NCAA basketball and bowl games, etc. Ohio High school wrstling does it as well. Just a question. Please don't think I just a rebel with these questions. I love SCIOLY. Thanks
Wlsguy is right, they basically do that because it's not necessarily fair if a state with 582 teams [which means a lot more competition] (NY) sent the same amount of teams as a state with 13 teams (AK). And even though +1 team isn't a huge difference, it at least gives some cushion.
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

wlsguy wrote:Each State gets to send the winner from their State competition. States with the highest membership then get another spot until the limit for the Natls is reached (generally 60 teams / division).

Thanks
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

Mentor (Ohio) Invitational this weekend. Lots of quality competition. So, other than the competition, what is important in making a great event? To me:
1. Organization - finding your way around, well marked. Hate running to events and the stress of worrying if your going to find the right room and being on time
2. Food - mans gotta eat
3. Entertainment, yes. After 3 years of sitting in a gym waiting for the results, I appreciate the efforts of keeping 500 students engaged or at least not bored for a couple of hours. What's been you favorite experience betweent events and results? I had an idea - create some fun events that require students from differenet schools to be on the same team. So many kids from so many schools, never really get a chance to meet and talk. That way we can stay in touch. Let me hear your thoughts out their in SCIOLY World.
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

MMeteorite1 wrote:Mentor (Ohio) Invitational this weekend. Lots of quality competition. So, other than the competition, what is important in making a great event? To me:
1. Organization - finding your way around, well marked. Hate running to events and the stress of worrying if your going to find the right room and being on time
2. Food - mans gotta eat
3. Entertainment, yes. After 3 years of sitting in a gym waiting for the results, I appreciate the efforts of keeping 500 students engaged or at least not bored for a couple of hours. What's been you favorite experience betweent events and results? I had an idea - create some fun events that require students from differenet schools to be on the same team. So many kids from so many schools, never really get a chance to meet and talk. That way we can stay in touch. Let me hear your thoughts out their in SCIOLY World.
Do you mean the invitational as a whole? If so, I would say that though competing is a huge part of it, the full experience is what teams come for. It's like selling an NBA game - while you do come to see the competition the players, you keep them entertained by the venues.

I also think what is important is who you can draw into a competition - if you can bring teams from other states, it really brings a presence. Plus, it's more exciting since you don't get to compete against teams from other states very often!
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
MMeteorite1

Post by MMeteorite1 »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
MMeteorite1 wrote:Mentor (Ohio) Invitational this weekend. Lots of quality competition. So, other than the competition, what is important in making a great event? To me:
2. Food - mans gotta eat
Do you mean the invitational as a whole? If so, I would say that though competing is a huge part of it, the full experience is what teams come for. It's like selling an NBA game - while you do come to see the competition the players, you keep them entertained by the venues.

I also think what is important is who you can draw into a competition - if you can bring teams from other states, it really brings a presence. Plus, it's more exciting since you don't get to compete against teams from other states very often!
I hear ya. Awesome when there are 50 teams from 5-6 states. Means more when you can snag a medal.

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”