Ohio 2013

geminicross
Division: C
State: GA

Re: Ohio 2013

Postby geminicross » February 10th, 2013, 6:14 pm

There are lots of reasons tests aren't given back, including 'it's just the way we've always done it'. However, please know that there isn't some sort of blanket prohibition from the National office on releasing tests back to teams. So if you think this is truly something important, please consider talking to tournament supervisors about the possibility (just don't do it the day of the tournament... they are way too busy then). Also keep in mind that returning the tests requires significant labor. At the WSU Invitational we just ran, it took almost as much manpower to sort out all the tests and stuff them in the appropriate envelopes as it did to actually enter the scores into the scoring system.

Another topic. Has there every been any discussion about how many teams from Ohio go to Nationals? Similar to sports where stronger conferences that consistant finish high, they seem to get more qualifers into NCAA basketball and bowl games, etc. Ohio High school wrstling does it as well. Just a question. Please don't think I just a rebel with these questions. I love SCIOLY. Thanks
Wlsguy is right, they basically do that because it's not necessarily fair if a state with 582 teams [which means a lot more competition] (NY) sent the same amount of teams as a state with 13 teams (AK). And even though +1 team isn't a huge difference, it at least gives some cushion.

MMeteorite1
State: OH

Postby MMeteorite1 » February 10th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Each State gets to send the winner from their State competition. States with the highest membership then get another spot until the limit for the Natls is reached (generally 60 teams / division).

Thanks

MMeteorite1

Postby MMeteorite1 » February 13th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Mentor (Ohio) Invitational this weekend. Lots of quality competition. So, other than the competition, what is important in making a great event? To me:
1. Organization - finding your way around, well marked. Hate running to events and the stress of worrying if your going to find the right room and being on time
2. Food - mans gotta eat
3. Entertainment, yes. After 3 years of sitting in a gym waiting for the results, I appreciate the efforts of keeping 500 students engaged or at least not bored for a couple of hours. What's been you favorite experience betweent events and results? I had an idea - create some fun events that require students from differenet schools to be on the same team. So many kids from so many schools, never really get a chance to meet and talk. That way we can stay in touch. Let me hear your thoughts out their in SCIOLY World.

kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Postby kentuckyfan1001 » February 13th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Mentor (Ohio) Invitational this weekend. Lots of quality competition. So, other than the competition, what is important in making a great event? To me:
1. Organization - finding your way around, well marked. Hate running to events and the stress of worrying if your going to find the right room and being on time
2. Food - mans gotta eat
3. Entertainment, yes. After 3 years of sitting in a gym waiting for the results, I appreciate the efforts of keeping 500 students engaged or at least not bored for a couple of hours. What's been you favorite experience betweent events and results? I had an idea - create some fun events that require students from differenet schools to be on the same team. So many kids from so many schools, never really get a chance to meet and talk. That way we can stay in touch. Let me hear your thoughts out their in SCIOLY World.
Do you mean the invitational as a whole? If so, I would say that though competing is a huge part of it, the full experience is what teams come for. It's like selling an NBA game - while you do come to see the competition the players, you keep them entertained by the venues.

I also think what is important is who you can draw into a competition - if you can bring teams from other states, it really brings a presence. Plus, it's more exciting since you don't get to compete against teams from other states very often!
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

MMeteorite1

Postby MMeteorite1 » February 13th, 2013, 7:23 pm

2. Food - mans gotta eat
Do you mean the invitational as a whole? If so, I would say that though competing is a huge part of it, the full experience is what teams come for. It's like selling an NBA game - while you do come to see the competition the players, you keep them entertained by the venues.

I also think what is important is who you can draw into a competition - if you can bring teams from other states, it really brings a presence. Plus, it's more exciting since you don't get to compete against teams from other states very often!
I hear ya. Awesome when there are 50 teams from 5-6 states. Means more when you can snag a medal.

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Postby Luo » February 14th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Have the awards photos from the Wright State Invitational been posted online anywhere? I saw the video posted at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVS8N1KI ... tube_gdata, but I haven't found the pictures.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

chalker

Postby chalker » February 15th, 2013, 9:04 am

Have the awards photos from the Wright State Invitational been posted online anywhere? I saw the video posted at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVS8N1KI ... tube_gdata, but I haven't found the pictures.

I didn't know they put up the video yet of the closing ceremony. Thanks for posting the link. I don't believe there were any 'photos' taken of the medalists, just the video.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

MMeteorite1

Mentor (Ohio) Invitational Div C & BTeam

Postby MMeteorite1 » February 16th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Mentor Invite Div C
1 SOLON
2 FAYETTEVILLE MANLIUS (NY STATE CHAMPS)
3 NEW TRIER (CHICAGO)
4 BAYARD RUSTIN (PA STATE CHAMPS)
5 REVERE
6. ST IGNATIUS
7. KENSTON
8. CHARDON
Last edited by MMeteorite1 on February 17th, 2013, 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Re: Mentor (Ohio) Invitational Div C Team

Postby kentuckyfan1001 » February 16th, 2013, 6:14 pm

Mentor Invite Div C
1 SOLON
2 FAYETTEVILLE MANLIUS (NY STATE CHAMPS)
3 NEW TRIER (CHICAGO)
4 BAYARD RUSTIN (PA STATE CHAMPS)
5 REVERE
6. ST IGNATIUS
7. KENSTON
8. CHARDON
btw, New Trier = IL state champs
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
State: MD

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » February 16th, 2013, 6:52 pm

And Bayard Rustin was 2nd place in PA States, not 1st. Harriton hasn't given that title up quite yet. ;)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”