Missouri 2013

135scioly
Division: C
State: MO
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Missouri 2013

Post by 135scioly »

Everyone excited for regionals tomorrow? I'm doing the usual cramming ;)
2014 Events: Entomology, Astronomy, Disease Detectives
EpicFailOlympian
Division: Grad

Post by EpicFailOlympian »

135scioly wrote:Everyone excited for regionals tomorrow? I'm doing the usual cramming ;)
Meh.
20:05~<EpicFailOlympian> On this day, in the third age of man, EpicFailOlympian has posted. Let there be rejoicing in the streets and cake for all.

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<robobear> well u know what efo, the table's angry
<robobear> ┬─┬ ︵ /(.□. \)I am 97th Assassinator
135scioly

Post by 135scioly »

EpicFailOlympian wrote:
135scioly wrote:Everyone excited for regionals tomorrow? I'm doing the usual cramming ;)
Meh.
Yup, that's what most people are probably like!
135scioly

Post by 135scioly »

Alright, well Region 5 was today. Good job to everyone.

B Division

1) West Jr (as always, though I think CIS may have been really close to beating you guys?)
2) Columbia Independent
3) Smithton
4) Jeff Jr.

C Division - only top three which was horrible!!!

1) Hickman
2) Rockbridge (Green or gold? i don't remember)
3) Rolla

Not a great year for C Division in general because so many teams dropped out, and rockbridge had two teams!
Did anyone else do thermodynamics? I thought it was rather... Difficult...and forestry was insane! So many trees weren't on the list!

EDIT: It was Rock Bridge Green...
Last edited by 135scioly on February 20th, 2013, 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EpicFailOlympian

I'm a West alum now. Yay for Hickman...and mucho thanks to the really smart dedicated juniors and seniors we had...I'm just the dead weight lazy bum...

Yeah, I hated the forestry test. Random trivia for the first section, "what is the state tree of Missouri?", "what tree had this disease that infected apple trees?" (or something like that) The 2nd part was pretty easy, I think. The last part was a bit confusing, we should've studied leaf patterns...anyway, weren't you one of the girls from CIS that got 3rd on Forestry? Gratz!
20:05~<EpicFailOlympian> On this day, in the third age of man, EpicFailOlympian has posted. Let there be rejoicing in the streets and cake for all.

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
135scioly

Post by 135scioly »

EpicFailOlympian wrote:I'm a West alum now. Yay for Hickman...and mucho thanks to the really smart dedicated juniors and seniors we had...I'm just the dead weight lazy bum...

Yeah, I hated the forestry test. Random trivia for the first section, "what is the state tree of Missouri?", "what tree had this disease that infected apple trees?" (or something like that) The 2nd part was pretty easy, I think. The last part was a bit confusing, we should've studied leaf patterns...anyway, weren't you one of the girls from CIS that got 3rd on Forestry? Gratz!
Geesh, I wish I was a West alum! Next year I'm going to Battle though so maybe the team will be better? Hickman did great, though! The lady who did forestry didn't even know there was a tree list for missouri! I talked to her after the test because it was so confusing and I wanted to know the answers. That's why baldcypress and green ash were on there. The disease question was eastern redcedar just so you know. I thought the dichotomous key was really annoying because she gave us the tree IDs! The point is to ID the leaf by yourself, and the key said that bur oak was elliptical. That's not true I think? And yeah, I got 3rd thanks! C division is a lot harder than B though isn't it? Well, I suppose that's expected! :)
Meikeru

Post by Meikeru »

135scioly wrote:Alright, well Region 5 was today. Good job to everyone.

B Division

1) West Jr (as always, though I think CIS may have been really close to beating you guys?)
2) Columbia Independent
3) Smithton
4) Jeff Jr.

C Division - only top three which was horrible!!!

1) Hickman
2) Rockbridge (Green or gold? i don't remember)
3) Rolla

Not a great year for C Division in general because so many teams dropped out, and rockbridge had two teams!
Did anyone else do thermodynamics? I thought it was rather... Difficult...and forestry was insane! So many trees weren't on the list!
It was Rock Bridge Green. I did do thermo and we placed 4th unfortunately. Sadly I forgot to add the specific heat chart and I doubted my initial estimation which ended up being correct in the end. Remote sensing was a bit weird, and astronomy was quite cool as the judge running it had this awesome section where he taught us about the spectro-something with a cool viewing glass thing.
Thermodynamics - 4th/, Remote Sensing - 3rd/, Astronomy - 2nd/
Compute This - 1st/3rd, Dynamic Planet - 2nd/4th, Road Scholars - 1st/~
Compute This - 1st/4th, Ecology - 1st/~, Road Scholars - 2nd/~
Ornithology - ~, Wright Stuff - ~, Road Scholars - 4th
135scioly

Post by 135scioly »

Well fourth was better than we did! The test wasn't too hard, but we didn't know any of the short answer ones and we didn't have the specific heat chart or heat of fusion for copper which was unfortunate.
EpicFailOlympian

You're going to Battle? :? Since it's a new high school, I'm not sure they'll have a Science Olympiad team...but you always make one if you find a teacher sponsor...
Though, Battle looks to be REALLY nice. It's a fricken space station.

Meikeru, which school are you from?

<roboefo> (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
135scioly

Post by 135scioly »

Yup, that's what everyone says when I tell them, mainly because kids from Oakland are going there. But all of them can't be bad right? And it says that it will have "the same clubs and activities" as the other public schools in columbia, so that means it must have a science olympiad club? It's the biggest high school in missouri apparently!

Return to “2013 Invitationals, Regionals, and States”