2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

silverheart7
Member
Member
Posts: 394
Joined: October 8th, 2011, 7:50 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Location: Eastern Long Island
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by silverheart7 » January 1st, 2013, 11:09 am

A Person wrote:
Nerdy One wrote: but the post above mine is also true. our state never fails epic-ly at nationals though. we're just about in the middle, and our rival. . . :evil: got somewhere in the thirties at nationals last year, which isn't too bad considering.
Doesn't every team have a rival?
We have several ;) Many teams, especially within New York, are very competitive. It makes sense that we'd all want to do well.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer

User avatar
alpacas
Member
Member
Posts: 14
Joined: October 4th, 2012, 6:09 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Location: M94
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by alpacas » January 3rd, 2013, 1:47 pm

Does anyone know if individual medal-er pictures (like those they took at Wisconsin 2011) are customarily a tradition or if that only happened once (because our team was a bit disappointed that they weren't available last year)? If so, do you think they will take pictures again this year? I think its a nice idea but also could significantly slow down the award process even with the alternating between B and C.

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2104
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by chalker » January 3rd, 2013, 5:39 pm

alpacas wrote:Does anyone know if individual medal-er pictures (like those they took at Wisconsin 2011) are customarily a tradition or if that only happened once (because our team was a bit disappointed that they weren't available last year)? If so, do you think they will take pictures again this year? I think its a nice idea but also could significantly slow down the award process even with the alternating between B and C.

They don't usually happen for exactly the reason you mentioned. I suspect we won't do them this year, but nothing is written in stone yet.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

L42
Member
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: January 12th, 2009, 5:13 pm
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by L42 » January 5th, 2013, 6:59 am

chalker wrote:
alpacas wrote:Does anyone know if individual medal-er pictures (like those they took at Wisconsin 2011) are customarily a tradition or if that only happened once (because our team was a bit disappointed that they weren't available last year)?
They don't usually happen for exactly the reason you mentioned. I suspect we won't do them this year, but nothing is written in stone yet.
A few years ago, they had a photographer take pictures of everyone on the stage when they got their medals and were turned around to face the audience (which always happens). They would just go down the line and take a picture or two of each partner. That way, the professional pictures were taken at the same time as the audience was taking pictures of everyone on stage, so it didn't take up any more time. They could also start announcing the next B Div medals as the C medalists were finishing pictures/leaving the stage. In my opinion, that is the best way to do it, and it's really nice to have those pictures since it's generally hard to get good pictures from where the teams sit.

I personally really disliked the Wisconsin 2011 system, because you missed parts of the award ceremony when you got your picture taken. Also, I had two events in a row (Dynamic and Ecology). I didn't go get my picture for Dynamic right away because I wanted to hear the results for Ecology... and it turned out I medaled in both, but I only got the picture for Ecology since they just took a picture of my Dynamic partner by himself.
Massachusetts State Remote Sensing/Geologic Mapping Supervisor
2010 Nationals: 1st Ecology
2011 Nationals: 4th Dynamic Planet, 3rd Ecology, 1st Remote Sensing
2012 Nationals: 1st Remote Sensing

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2104
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by chalker » January 5th, 2013, 10:31 am

L42 wrote: They could also start announcing the next B Div medals as the C medalists were finishing pictures/leaving the stage. In my opinion, that is the best way to do it, and it's really nice to have those pictures since it's generally hard to get good pictures from where the teams sit.
We'll probably be doing something similar to this with regards to the timing, to ensure we get good video shots of all the winners on the stage. We'll be trying this next weekend at the Invitational (which will be streamed live over the web).

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 507
Joined: March 21st, 2011, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by Luo » January 5th, 2013, 12:17 pm

L42 wrote:A few years ago, they had a photographer take pictures of everyone on the stage when they got their medals and were turned around to face the audience (which always happens). They would just go down the line and take a picture or two of each partner. That way, the professional pictures were taken at the same time as the audience was taking pictures of everyone on stage, so it didn't take up any more time. They could also start announcing the next B Div medals as the C medalists were finishing pictures/leaving the stage. In my opinion, that is the best way to do it, and it's really nice to have those pictures since it's generally hard to get good pictures from where the teams sit.

I personally really disliked the Wisconsin 2011 system, because you missed parts of the award ceremony when you got your picture taken. Also, I had two events in a row (Dynamic and Ecology). I didn't go get my picture for Dynamic right away because I wanted to hear the results for Ecology... and it turned out I medaled in both, but I only got the picture for Ecology since they just took a picture of my Dynamic partner by himself.
I agree that the Wisconsin setup was a bit too slow, but the overall atmosphere was much better than Florida, in my opinion. The announcers were much more enthusiastic and exciting in 2011 (the announcers in 2012 seemed a little confused at times too), and the setup of the PowerPoint display was better in 2011 because you weren't able to hear the state announced in advance of the team (which, in 2012, ruined the suspense). I also didn't like that there were inconsistencies in the team name entry in 2012 (for some schools, like New Trier High School, they'd only say "New Trier," whereas for other schools they'd say the complete name, which led to occasional confusion). The lighting at the 2011 ceremony was also better-done than in 2012. Another feature of the 2011 ceremony that we appreciated was that the scores were posted online (on Avogadro) immediately at the conclusion of the ceremony, which prevented the usual mobbing of the stage/coach/captain to see the hard copies. I know Avogadro isn't being used this year, but it would be great if the scoresheet was online immediately so that we could access it on mobile electronic devices.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

chalker
Member
Member
Posts: 2104
Joined: January 9th, 2009, 7:30 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 40 times

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by chalker » January 5th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Luo wrote: and the setup of the PowerPoint display was better in 2011 because you weren't able to hear the state announced in advance of the team (which, in 2012, ruined the suspense). I also didn't like that there were inconsistencies in the team name entry in 2012 (for some schools, like New Trier High School, they'd only say "New Trier," whereas for other schools they'd say the complete name, which led to occasional confusion). The lighting at the 2011 ceremony was also better-done than in 2012. Another feature of the 2011 ceremony that we appreciated was that the scores were posted online (on Avogadro) immediately at the conclusion of the ceremony, which prevented the usual mobbing of the stage/coach/captain to see the hard copies. I know Avogadro isn't being used this year, but it would be great if the scoresheet was online immediately so that we could access it on mobile electronic devices.
As long as I can remember, they always announce the state first then the team name at Nationals (and I've been to a LOT of National awards ceremonies;). Watching the archived video, for whatever reason the local MC decided NOT to announce states at all (which I didn't even notice at the time). Of course Gerard also is usually one of the announcers, and he didn't do that in WI for some reason. We will likely follow the 'tradition' and announce the states first, since I think it helps build awareness of where everyone is from (for example, it's really nice when a team from HI sometimes medals and the crowd gives them a a standing ovation). Also keep in mind that for ~40 of the 60 teams, there is only 1 team from their state, so announcing the state doesn't 'ruin the suspense'.

The school name thing is always an issue, since it's entirely based on what the coach provides when they register. We manually review the names and do catch occasional errors, but in general we defer to what the coach entered since we assume it's their preference. The announcers will occasional drop the 'high school' part, but that just due to the flow and crowd reaction.

The final result PDF WILL be available immediately after the ceremony (in fact it will be up before then, but we won't give out the URL until the very end when we display it on the scoreboard).

We will be running a full scale Invitational (120 total teams) at Wright State next Saturday (1/12/13), and we are treating the awards ceremony as a dress rehearsal for Nationals. We'll be streaming it live online starting about 5:45PM Eastern (link will be posted on http://www.wright.edu/scienceolympiad/events.html ). If any of you have some free time please consider viewing it and providing feedback, so we can make it even better for Nationals.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

User avatar
The Eviscerator
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: February 27th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by The Eviscerator » January 5th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Umm, I'm sorry that this is really late, but what happened to the pictures from WI 2011? I never saw them. Are they posted online somewhere?

Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Posts: 507
Joined: March 21st, 2011, 1:31 pm
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 13 times

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by Luo » January 5th, 2013, 2:28 pm

Thank you for the response, chalker! We will be attending the invitational next weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing how the awards ceremony goes. :)
The Eviscerator wrote:Umm, I'm sorry that this is really late, but what happened to the pictures from WI 2011? I never saw them. Are they posted online somewhere?
They are available here: http://nso.wisc.edu/photo_archive.php
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/

User avatar
The Eviscerator
Member
Member
Posts: 189
Joined: February 27th, 2011, 12:28 pm
Division: C
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by The Eviscerator » January 5th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Luo wrote:Thank you for the response, chalker! We will be attending the invitational next weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing how the awards ceremony goes. :)
The Eviscerator wrote:Umm, I'm sorry that this is really late, but what happened to the pictures from WI 2011? I never saw them. Are they posted online somewhere?
They are available here: http://nso.wisc.edu/photo_archive.php
Thanks.
And congrats on MIT! I'm pretty actually, REALLY envious.

Locked

Return to “2013 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests