2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Re: 2013 National Tournament: Wright State University

Post by chalker »

Check out highlights from the Science Olympiad National Tournament on the WSU PEG.tv web channel. Go to www.wright.edu/streaming and navigate to the Video on Demand web interface. You’ll find the highlights in the Highlights playlist. Look for the Opening and Awards Ceremonies, in their entirety, on the Wright State You Tube channel soon.

I'm pretty sure a couple of the students interviewed are active on SciOly;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Jdogg
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Jdogg »

chalker wrote:Check out highlights from the Science Olympiad National Tournament on the WSU PEG.tv web channel. Go to http://www.wright.edu/streaming and navigate to the Video on Demand web interface. You’ll find the highlights in the Highlights playlist. Look for the Opening and Awards Ceremonies, in their entirety, on the Wright State You Tube channel soon.

Yeah, I'm in it at 1:46 :). Really excited that you have a highlight video since last year they didn't have one.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Jdogg wrote:Yeah, I'm in it at 1:46 :). Really excited that you have a highlight video since last year they didn't have one.
There is a highlights video from last year, but it's more just a slideshow set to music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pC_Wqb0UxA
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Hosj
Division: C
State: MD

Post by Hosj »

Jdogg wrote:
chalker wrote:Check out highlights from the Science Olympiad National Tournament on the WSU PEG.tv web channel. Go to http://www.wright.edu/streaming and navigate to the Video on Demand web interface. You’ll find the highlights in the Highlights playlist. Look for the Opening and Awards Ceremonies, in their entirety, on the Wright State You Tube channel soon.

Yeah, I'm in it at 1:46 :). Really excited that you have a highlight video since last year they didn't have one.
Sorry, just saw your signature, that is an incredible placing. Incredible. 3 gold medals at nationals!! Holy crap!! 3 gold medals at regionals is incredible!!
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th
Jdogg
State: PA

Post by Jdogg »

Hosj wrote:
Jdogg wrote:

Sorry, just saw your signature, that is an incredible placing. Incredible. 3 gold medals at nationals!! Holy crap!! 3 gold medals at regionals is incredible!!
Haha, thanks, Just a lot of blood, sweat, and tears plus a lot of luck. :)
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School
plaid suit guy2
Division: C
State: CO

Post by plaid suit guy2 »

too much blood.
I'm in around 4:51 for the gliders. The two other boys with me are the rest of the build team. The one that speaks wasn't even in the event, and we were amazed that the other even said his name. He hasn't spoken sense.

edit: at 2:30 is the only safe maglev ever created
blue and yellow plaid suit
Nationals 2012:
Sound of Music: 8th

Nationals 2013:
Remote Sensing: 1st
ELG: 1st
MagLev: 6th

State 2014:
Boomi: 1st (scored 1824)
Circuits: 1st
Compound: 3rd
Malgev: 1st
MP: 2nd

total gold: 18
total silver: 10
total bronze: 5
6th: 1
Poudre High School class of '15
chalker

Post by chalker »

I've put up a gallery with some videos and pics I personally took at the tournament (mainly at the 2 ceremonies, but also some competition stuff). Those of you that weren't there might enjoy the 'spectator' view, and those of you that were might enjoy some of the 'behind the scenes' stuff:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dmgessdmzsmolk7/EXNv4i3NHo

Most of the national event supervisors who are very active on SciOly just happen to make cameos in some of these pics;)

Student Alumni
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

I'd like to congratulate and thank all of the tournament organizers on what I found to be an immensely enjoyable and well-run tournament this year. I was very impressed with the attention to detail and on the overall experience that Wright State created for competitors and coaches. After last year's tournament, I typed up a rather lengthy list of what I perceived as the major shortcomings of the 2012 tournament, and I must say that this year's tournament went above and beyond in addressing those concerns and making everything awesome. Let me comment on each of those aspects here:
  • Quality and quantity of web presence: This year's website was much cleaner, better-organized, and easier to navigate than last year's, though it couldn't quite match the amazingly formatted, information-rich website of the 2011 national tournament. I appreciated that updates to the website this year were easy to find and that crucial documents were posted in prominent locations on the site. However, I wish that some of the documents had been posted earlier in the spring to give teams more time to plan.
  • Coordination with campus officials: No complaints here - a huge improvement from last year. Everyone at Wright State was friendly and knowledgeable. Campus employees all seemed to know what was going on, and it was clear that the Science Olympiad tournament organizers had made their needs clear to all relevant campus officials.
  • Instructions for coaches: Once again, no complaints. It was very straightforward for coaches to purchase lodging, meals, etc. online. Guidelines for the Parade of States and coaches' meeting were clearly conveyed. When we got to campus, there were clear directions as to where to go, where to park, where to register, etc. I imagine that this year would have been relatively painless for a new nationals coach to get used to the preparations and logistics of attending nationals.
  • Amenities for competitors: I really appreciated that everything we needed to be comfortable and successful was provided. We had wireless internet in the dorms, nice freebies in the dorms (water bottle, shampoo, etc.), and nametags with each person's name preprinted. I definitely was impressed.
  • Event facilities: Event rooms and team homerooms had plenty of space, and building event venues were adequate and generally well-arranged. The student union was set up well, and the venue for the team banquets was nicely prepared. Signage across campus was prominent and made navigation easy.
  • Equality between competitors and alternates: We appreciated that alternates were included in everything this year: banquets, freebies, sitting with the team at the ceremonies, etc.
  • Events for competitors on Thursday and Friday: The events this year didn't quite match the cool science-related workshops for competitors on the Thursday prior to the 2011 tournament in Madison, but the activities this year were interesting, provided plenty of variety, and were a great way to meet other competitors. It was clear that the Wright State tournament organizers made an effort to provide meaningful, varied, hands-on science activities for competitors on Thursday and Friday.
  • Entertainment at the opening ceremony: I didn't attend the opening ceremony this year, but I heard that the opening ceremony ran smoother than last year, but that the keynote speaker was kind of dull. I hope that (sponsorships notwithstanding) tournaments in the future try to get speakers with greater "coolness" factor - people that get competitors revved up about science and inspired to pursue science into the future (see: Ben Carson, SONT 2008).
  • Announcers at the awards ceremony:The awards ceremony was so much smoother than last year. Kudos and thank you. The announcers were much more aware, pacing was great, and the atmosphere was electric (great lighting display!).
I hope that UCF next year will look to the Wright State (and Madison) organizers as a model for how to make a national tournament awesome!

As this was my last national tournament as a competitor, I'd once again like to thank all the organizers and volunteers who made last weekend an unforgettable experience for competitors. Science Olympiad has been the defining activity of my high school career, and nothing can quite match the thrill and excitement I've gotten from these yearly celebrations of science passion. The extensive planning and care that went into this year's tournament was clearly evident, and I couldn't have imagined a better way to top off my Science Olympiad career.
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
chalker

Post by chalker »

Student Alumni
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Luo »

Anyone notice that the Division B national tournament results were changed? J.C. Booth Middle School got moved up from 15th to 12th, and based on comparing the new scoresheet with the old scoresheet it looks like it was because their 61st in Disease Detectives got changed to 27th. But what's really odd is that now the official scoresheet shows two teams at 12th place overall and no teams at 15th place overall. Another odd thing is that the timestamp on the new scoresheet says that the new scoresheet was not generated until the evening of May 22nd, which is well outside the one-hour window for verifying changes as specified in the Science Olympiad official scoring policies. Also, it's troubling that both the old scoresheet and the new scoresheet are still linked in official-looking locations online.

Return to “2013 Nationals”