Teams Going to Nationals

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Teams Going to Nationals

Post by silverheart7 »

After your state competition, please post the following if you qualified for Nationals:

1. State

2. School

3. Score at state competition (optional)
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Teams Going to Nationals

Post by A Person »

I this just to collect winning scores? So far only one state has competed, as shown in the link:
http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Wright ... rsity_2013
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
ThePrudentGuava
Division: C
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

I just want to point out that Montana has their state tournament absurdly early.
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
A Person
State: KY

Post by A Person »

ThePrudentGuava wrote:I just want to point out that Montana has their state tournament absurdly early.
I agree with you. That must be a long wait between States and Nationals.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

This is not the same, but related. We're going to be posting results from important tournaments in this thread in the News forum. So, as you can see, Montana results are already there. If you have results already from invites and such, then either submit a post or PM an admin/mod, who can then post it for you.

And yes, this was part plug. :roll:
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

ThePrudentGuava wrote:I just want to point out that Montana has their state tournament absurdly early.
Or absurdly late - I hear that they run their competition on last year's rules, so in a way they are a year behind everyone else. Must be hard when they get to Nats, because is is a whole new slate of events.
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

Flavorflav wrote:
Or absurdly late - I hear that they run their competition on last year's rules, so in a way they are a year behind everyone else. Must be hard when they get to Nats, because is is a whole new slate of events.
I've heard the same thing, but I also noticed that Montana runs several events that weren't events last year (Boomilever, Circuit Lab, Designer Genes, etc.) so I'm a little skeptical that it's true. I wonder if there are any Montana people on these boards who could clarify how things are done there, just for interest.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink »

According to their Web page, they run 14 events in each division thereby leaving out (in Div. B)...
Anatomy
Egg Drop
Exp Design
Food Sci
Heredity
Keep the Heat
Meteorology
Road Scholar
Shock Value
There is no clear method to their madness considering they run Designer Genes but not Heredity. Do note that they do not exclude any build events. It could be that they're considered more accessible; who knows?

I do find their site interesting because of how strikingly different it is from the SO I'm (and likely many of you are) used to. For example...
They have a FAQ page of their own, and one of their questions addresses how long an event is.  That right there tells you that it's fundamentally different than one of the 'big' or 'competitive' states.
And they suggest only practicing for two events.  I suppose out of 14 that would be about right.
ThePrudentGuava
State: OK

Post by ThePrudentGuava »

Skink wrote:Montana Hates Eggs, Thermo, and Weather
Montonians (?) can't use eggs due to their bison getting offended, the constant snow makes Thermo rather difficult, and they have a notorious hatred of all things weather because of the atmosphere making Montana most inhospitable except to cowboys, ranchers and crazy hippies.

Sorry to any people from Montana reading this, I am obviously joking. Montana is....uh...open and...um..nice.
Perfection. That’s what it’s about. It’s those moments. When you can feel the perfection of creation. The beauty of physics, you know, the wonder of mathematics. The elation of action and reaction, and that is the kind of perfection that I want to be connected to.
~Sam Anders
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

I lived in Montana for 5 years.
1. I never saw a bison until we moved to Washington
2. They aren't all cowboys
3. A lot ARE hippies.

That said, Montana isn't really that great in my opinion... Unless you like shooting things ;)
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

Return to “2013 Nationals”