Unofficial Rankings, Division B

mwloveslm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Post by mwloveslm »

mrburrito wrote:Poor Booth must be sitting there reading this like they're Bad Luck Brian, they have a good chance of winning nationals too.
Yes they do have a good chance^^
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

They're actually going very well, as of recently. We had a lot of team rearrangement in the week(s) before states, which certainly upset Experimental Design and Metric Mastery. In addition, our Mission Possible had a pretty bad day. It's been reasonably consistant in the past, so our team is focused on fixing mistakes and changing it after seeing the State run.

Last year was a second tier in Experimental, which was what it was. The bottle rockets... Oh gosh. Our team had been testing with paper nose cones and getting really good times. However, we didn't consider Florida's humidity :lol:

I think we've improved a lot since states, and all we can do is try our best! I'm here to have fun. While a top ten would be nice, learning and making friendships is what Science Olympiad is about.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
mwloveslm

Post by mwloveslm »

sr243 wrote:hmm, I still Solon will be the favorite. The main thing is they are so consistent in all their events. Their best strength is that they don't have a real "weak event" that drags down the team. Last year, their worst event was forestry 34th at nats (which they got 1st at states this year). Then they had 2 events in the 20s and 5 events in the teens. That means they had 15 single digits events. Their overall score was 200 (62 points over 2nd) which is an avg score of 8.7 which is amazing at nationals. I honestly don't know any other team that will be that consistent at nationals. http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... Master.pdf

Churchill has some weaknesses shown in their state tournament like Mission Possible (10th), Food science (10th) and WIDI (8th) out of 24 teams. Also some questionable 7th in Experimental design and crime busters. Anyways, unless they drastically improve in those events, they won't have a chance and will be a repeat of last year. http://www.norcalscienceolympiad.com/20 ... 20Rank.pdf

Daniel Wright also has a big problem in WIDI. 37th at states is very bad. Otherwise a 10th in crime busters and 11th experimental design also needs some work. Otherwise they are good. They might have a chance if they improve their events which were half the points at states. For Marie Murphy, they got 34th in metric mastery and 14th in WIDI. 7th in experimental design and 5th in rotor egg drop could also use some improvements. Once again, those couple events were half their points at states. I think these two teams could do it but WIDI and Metric Mastery are not simple events to improve. They haven't improved since regionals and invitationals which were 2 months before states. I hope they can take down Solon but they really need to focus on those events.
http://avogadro.ws/hosted/il-state-b/public/results

However, the favorite is still Solon especially after states. 51 points is ridiculously low (avg 2.2 in each event). They had 20 events in the top 3 at states. The only 3 events that didn't were Metric Mastery (4th), Road scholar and Rocks&minerals (both 6th). Road scholar and R&M are easy events to improve. They got 1st in WIDI which is a problematic event for every other team. Unless they mess up in a few of these "lab events" (WIDI, Metric Mastery), they will do just as well as last year if not better. https://www.dropbox.com/s/kt8vix4wny02e ... esults.pdf

TLDR:
The team scores of Science Olympiad is not about how well you can do in certain events but how well your worst events are. I think Solon's worst events are better than the other teams' worst events so I still favorite them at nationals.
The reasoning is complicated XD :?
Livin' the Cali Lyfe (:
CHURCHILL MS
Build Events <3 <3
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

sr243 wrote:
I have a question for you since you are in Gelinas, how are your "not so well" events going? Metric mastery (25th) WIDI (10th) Experimental Design (10th) and Mission Possible (10th). It seems like Gelinas has some really great events that medal at nationals and some not so great events that cost the team the top ten. Last year, it was experimental design and bottle rocket. This year, it might be metric mastery and something else. Certainly, the team was within one event of top ten but so were many other teams. If you want to be in the top ten, focus on your worst events and make sure you don't have an event that might place over 40. Two 20th are better than 1st and 50th for the team score.
yeah, when Gelinas didn't make top 10 last year I was really surprised, when I looked at their scores I saw that experimental design was in the 50s..last year the teams from 10th-15th were 50ish points apart, so one bad event did make a difference in overall placing. I think we will see the same again this year, but with teams 1-5.
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
Vader_
Division: B

Post by Vader_ »

People,

Look at the difficulties in each states.
Ohio- Home of some of the best teams and Solon if from there
Michigan- Meads Mill is from here as well as White Pines, Lakeshore and alot of powerhouse teams as well
Illinois- The 2 schools from here are phenomenal.

If you could place in the top three of most of the events in these states you could defenitly place at nationals. Solon and Meads Mill both placed in 15+ 1st places. All though I haven't seen Illinois's scoresheet, I can predict that they did well.

In conclusion, the contenders for the gold are Solon, Daniel Wright, Marie Murphy and Meads Mill.

From,
Luke Skywalkers Father
Hi.
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

Just to bring this up, Muscatel placed in ALL 23 events at states last year... got a total score of 59. However, they placed tenth at nats last year.
And SoCal is VERY competitive.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
geminicross
State: GA

Post by geminicross »

XJcwolfyX wrote:Nationals is going to be really interesting... Solon, Winston Churchill, Meads Mill, Marie Murphy, and Daniel Wright are all after that 1st place spot.
*cough* and Booth *cough*
ckssv07
State: PA

Post by ckssv07 »

Not for first but dont count shady side out of the running, in the19events we placed in we got 37 points. The four events we didnt place in webombed, but we were just having a bad day in those events, we consistently placed at ohio invitationals in three of the four events, and just recently got very good at the fourth. Just for comparison, even though ohio is slightly harder, solon went 39 points for 21 events, the only difference was the events we didnt place(assuming placing is 1-5).
MacBookMinus
Division: B
State: IL

Post by MacBookMinus »

mrburrito wrote: 1st. Solon
2nd. Magsig
3rd. Shady Side
4th. Booth
5th. Marie Murphie
6th. Daniel Wright
7th. Beckondorff
8th. Chardon
9th. Bearden
10th. Meads Mill
Marie Murphy student here.

We beat both Magsig and Shady Side at Solon Invitational this year. We've gotten 2nd place at Nat. two years in a row. Daniel Wright has beaten us and Solon a couple times. Also Meads did really well at Solon as well. Those are 3 teams I think you've underrated.
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Magsig isn't going to Nats this year. :(
Medal Counter: 73

Return to “2013 Nationals”