havenguy
Division: Grad
State: PA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Post by havenguy »

infidescientiam wrote:
geminicross wrote:How is Daniel Wright ranked above Booth, if they've never beaten Booth at Nats?
Daniel Wright did in fact "beat" Booth at the Wright State Invite. It was a surprise, since Booth had taken 3rd at 2012 Nationals and Daniel Wright took 6th; but seeing the performance of both teams at an Invitational that was regarded to be at a near-"national" level the results were definite- Booth took 8th as Daniel Wright took 2nd. However, I believe no one can strictly judge the rankings from invitationals since Booth may have had a bad day, didn't have all its members, or other mishaps all teams encounter at these "not serious" competitions which don't count (i.e. Regionals, States, Nationals).
Also, the Wright State Invite was about 2.5 months ago--a lot can change in that time...
University of Pennsylvania Class of 2020
Strath Haven High School Class of 2016

2016 States Results:
Invasive Species: 1st
Dynamic Planet: 1st
Disease Detectives: 5th
Anatomy: 6th

Team Place: 4th
MMeteorite1
Division: C
State: OH

Post by MMeteorite1 »

I've enjoyed the banter and friendly discussions. I think we all know this is just fun discussion, no different than all the pre-NCAA basketball bracket busting shows, speculating match ups. On or about May 18th, we will know for sure and we can all see how close or far from actual we all were. Nice job Mrburrito for starting the thread. Good luck to all. I hope to be able to say, "see you at Nationals" in about 3 weeks.
ljh
Division: B
State: GA

Post by ljh »

I heard that was because half of the Booth team A members had schedule conflict with Wright state invitational due to the State band and orchestra auditions.

infidescientiam wrote:
geminicross wrote:How is Daniel Wright ranked above Booth, if they've never beaten Booth at Nats?
Daniel Wright did in fact "beat" Booth at the Wright State Invite. It was a surprise, since Booth had taken 3rd at 2012 Nationals and Daniel Wright took 6th; but seeing the performance of both teams at an Invitational that was regarded to be at a near-"national" level the results were definite- Booth took 8th as Daniel Wright took 2nd. However, I believe no one can strictly judge the rankings from invitationals since Booth may have had a bad day, didn't have all its members, or other mishaps all teams encounter at these "not serious" competitions which don't count (i.e. Regionals, States, Nationals).
mrburrito
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

I'm going to start posting weekly rankings on Saturdays at 12:30. Due to all the recent tournaments, rankings are going to become a lot more accurate, but keep sending in the feedback, that's what rreally keeps these rankings accurate.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

Here is my "bank" of teams that are probably the best.

Solon
Shady Side
Booth
Daniel Wright
Churchill
Muscatel
Meads Mill
Marie Murphy
Magsig
Beckendorff

If I had to put them in any semblance of an order I'd do:

Solon (because they're Solon)
Shady Side/Marie Murphy (Shady Side because they won WSU Invites, Marie Murphy because they have finished second at nationals last year)
Booth
Daniel Wright
Meads Mill
Churchill
Muscatel
Magsig
Beckendorff

Personally, I think this is pointless until we start seeing some results from some of the big gun states and see how well the favorites carry them. Even then, that is not a good predictor. For instance, last year, Muscatel demolished SoCal states, with a score of 61, but went on to get 10th at nationals. By contrast, Troy High School got double Muscatel's score for Div. C, and went on to get second. Frankly, I think it's a bit early to be speculating rankings right now.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
awesome90220
State: AL

Post by awesome90220 »

inluvwyth_WANTED wrote:
captainscioly wrote:More food for thought... if you spend time studying for events instead of posting hypothetical and pointless rankings, maybe your team will beat these top teams!
thumbs up
They wupped the peeps at JC BOoth Invite
2016 Season: BISOT/Reg/State/Nats
Wind Power:9/1/1/11
Experimental Design:5/1/1/16
It's About Time:-/1/1/20
mrburrito
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

These are the latest set of rankings. I decided to make some big temporary changes.

1. Solon
2. Marie Murphy
3. Booth
4. Daniel Wright
5. Meads Mill
6. Beckondorff
7. Winston Churchill
8. Shady Side
9. Muscatel
10. Magsig
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
Sciolapedia
State: PA

Post by Sciolapedia »

Im from shadyside and I think Shadyside is being ranked to high. We did win wsu invitational but afterwards solon had continued to beat us consistently by up to 50 points. Last year we got 26th at nationals and didn't even place in any event.

I also don't think magsig should be in the top 10 since they haven't been having a great year. They might not even make it to nationals
1.Solon
2.Marie Murphy
3.Daniel wright
4.Meads Mill
5. Paul J Gelinas
6.Winston Churchill
7.Beckendorff
8.Muscatel
9.Booth
10. Eagle Hill
silverheart7
State: NY

Post by silverheart7 »

Sciolapedia wrote:Im from shadyside and I think Shadyside is being ranked to high. We did win wsu invitational but afterwards solon had continued to beat us consistently by up to 50 points. Last year we got 26th at nationals and didn't even place in any event.

I also don't think magsig should be in the top 10 since they haven't been having a great year. They might not even make it to nationals
1.Solon
2.Marie Murphy
3.Daniel wright
4.Meads Mill
5. Paul J Gelinas
6.Winston Churchill
7.Beckendorff
8.Muscatel
9.Booth
10. Eagle Hill
*fangirls* I think we may (crosses fingers) make the top ten, but I'm flattered you think we're fifth... :D
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
siciscio
State: NY

Post by siciscio »

For Gelinas I think its most likely to place 6th or 7th rather than 5th. So far it's something like 10th, 9th, 8th, 7th, 14th.If Gelinas makes Nationals (probably, but it's nerve wracking each year. Murphy and Eagle Hill are tough), within the top ten but most likely 6-10 range. I'll edit this later, these are just my 2 cents.
WindPower, Bridges.

Return to “2013 Nationals”