Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Post by pjgscioisamazing »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
u287772 wrote:Daniel Wright (DW) beat Solon in all conventional metrics:

Total Medals - DW: 14 vs Solon: 13
Gold Medals - DW: 6 vs Solon: 2
Gold/Silver/Bronze - DW: 9 vs Solon: 7
Top 10 Events - DW: 17 vs Solon: 16

However, Solon beat DW a mere 5 points in this category, which determined the final outcome:

Points in 3 weakest events - DW: 60 (24,18,18) vs Solon: 53 (20,17,16)
This is exactly why everyone thought Solon Middle was going to lose (and to an extent, Solon High as well). I guess it really shows that it's always about the non-placings in events.
Completely. It's not about how good your best was, it's about how good your worst was.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building
sp3
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by sp3 »

pjgscioisamazing wrote:
kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
u287772 wrote:Daniel Wright (DW) beat Solon in all conventional metrics:

Total Medals - DW: 14 vs Solon: 13
Gold Medals - DW: 6 vs Solon: 2
Gold/Silver/Bronze - DW: 9 vs Solon: 7
Top 10 Events - DW: 17 vs Solon: 16

However, Solon beat DW a mere 5 points in this category, which determined the final outcome:

Points in 3 weakest events - DW: 60 (24,18,18) vs Solon: 53 (20,17,16)
This is exactly why everyone thought Solon Middle was going to lose (and to an extent, Solon High as well). I guess it really shows that it's always about the non-placings in events.
Completely. It's not about how good your best was, it's about how good your worst was.
Exactly. It becomes teams' weak events competition due to equally weighted scoring system. What if using a weighted score system?
Sciolapedia
Division: C
State: PA

Post by Sciolapedia »

I didn't do that well in my events either. I hate blaming it on things, but Im pretty sure I didn't do as well because both of my events were stations and I absolutely FAIL at stations. The time restriction and the fact that you can't double check really hurts me since I 'm the type that makes a billion stupid errors. Hopefully, if we make it next year, it won't be dumb stations.
retired1
State: FL

Post by retired1 »

It is all ready weighted. All events are equal, just as it should be. It is not doing great in 10 - 15 events and not so good in the rest that wins. All teams have the same chance. You weight it and it skews the whole event to favor the elite.

Top 10 B and top 10 C-19 teams were at nationals last year. Experience definitely seriously helps.
mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN

Post by mrburrito »

retired1 wrote:It is all ready weighted. All events are equal, just as it should be. It is not doing great in 10 - 15 events and not so good in the rest that wins. All teams have the same chance. You weight it and it skews the whole event to favor the elite.

Top 10 B and top 10 C-19 teams were at nationals last year. Experience definitely seriously helps.
Mentor Memorial wasn't there, but you're absolutely right that experience helps.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Apologizing for the wordiness in advance... :D
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote: Repeat after me:

Science Olympiad is a team competition.
THIS! Exactly this.

As a coach, we make sure we discuss this with our students each year. After a few years on the team, everyone has at least one rotten egg score. But we're a team. The medals might go on an individual's neck, but in reality, they're the TEAM'S medals. And the final ranking is our TEAM's ranking. We discourage comments such as "Well if Tom and Bob had just studied Amphibians a little more and not goofed off..." or "They didn't work very hard on that bridge." If you've not had a poor score yet, stick with the team a couple of years, and you will. It happens. If you forgive the event pair that brought home a less than stellar score and treat them like valuable team members (and ALL our team members, regardless of age, years on the team, scientific ability, etc. are valuable) then you can count on them treating you as valuable when you don't do well next year on an event or two.

Our first year, at Regionals, our Wright Stuff team earned gold with a beautiful airplane that they poured many hours into. We qualified for state and we had high hopes for this disciplined, motivated and talented pair. Well, their plane broke right before competition. Snap. They tried to fly it and it basically was a drop. Oh that hurt to watch these boys who got 1st six weeks before get last. And I cringed as I anticipated the possible fallout from the team members. Well, as far as I know, the team members kindly either never said anything about it or they offered appropriate words of sympathy. And perhaps that was the first time I really saw our team as not only good (3rd in Regionals, 3rd in state with 12 young kids our first year), but as excellent. And, as a coach, I value that attitude over rankings and medals. In life, attitude > aptitude. Lots of adults don't get that principle. If that's all that our SO kids learn, we succeeded.

And, thankfully, for the most part, this is the SO culture I've observed (and that's why, despite the long hours and no pay, I keep coming back). You've all seen it, a kid's bridge breaks early, a car stops off target, the egg breaks. And, while the crowd (both students and adults -- from various teams) won't "go crazy" like they do for a near-perfect performance, they kindly clap to honor the effort that these two students put into their event. So, the talk we have with our team must be going on in most other teams...

When we do our info meetings for prospective members, we emphasize that we're a team. If a child would rather work independently, there's this really nice science fair in town...
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

Return to “2013 Nationals”