Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Sciolapedia
Member
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: March 26th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby Sciolapedia » May 21st, 2013, 6:52 pm

getting 11th by a point really sucks :twisted:

sp3
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: May 8th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Division: Grad
State: -
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby sp3 » May 21st, 2013, 8:19 pm

Sciolapedia wrote:getting 11th by a point really sucks :twisted:

Surprised your school out of top ten at nationals, after winning WSU Invitational in Jan. (beating Solon, DW, and MM).

User avatar
tornado guy
Member
Member
Posts: 449
Joined: April 17th, 2011, 7:23 pm
Division: C
State: WA
Location: PAPERMAKERS!
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby tornado guy » May 21st, 2013, 8:33 pm

Sciolapedia wrote:getting 11th by a point really sucks :twisted:


Trust me Shady Side. I know EXACTLY how you guys feel. Last year we got 11th and missed 10th by two points because I goofed in WQ.. But hey, 11th place in the nation is still something to brag about ;)
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.

ckssv07
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 186
Joined: March 22nd, 2011, 7:33 am
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby ckssv07 » May 22nd, 2013, 4:09 am

sp3 wrote:
Sciolapedia wrote:getting 11th by a point really sucks :twisted:

Surprised your school out of top ten at nationals, after winning WSU Invitational in Jan. (beating Solon, DW, and MM).

It is because i really messed up my second event, so I couldnt focus on my other events the rest of the day, so I messed up thise too.

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2696
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » May 22nd, 2013, 4:20 am

No, no. Stop.

Repeat after me:

Science Olympiad is a team competition.

Keep doing that until you feel better.

Why blame yourself when there are so many other factors involved? One person is never, and I repeat never, fully responsible for a team's placing.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

ckssv07
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 186
Joined: March 22nd, 2011, 7:33 am
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby ckssv07 » May 22nd, 2013, 8:07 am

EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:No, no. Stop.

Repeat after me:

Science Olympiad is a team competition.

Keep doing that until you feel better.

Why blame yourself when there are so many other factors involved? One person is never, and I repeat never, fully responsible for a team's placing.

I know but I racked up 170 of my teams 400 points, so it is possible to blame on me.

User avatar
EastStroudsburg13
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2696
Joined: January 17th, 2009, 7:32 am
Division: Grad
State: MD
Location: At work trying to be a real adult
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby EastStroudsburg13 » May 22nd, 2013, 10:07 am

Hey. What did I just say?

Did you have partners in those events?

That's not even 50% of your score. Don't beat yourself up about it because there's no point. Just use it as a learning experience to do even better in the future. :)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki


If you have any questions for me, always feel free to shoot me a PM.

u287772
Member
Member
Posts: 15
Joined: May 1st, 2013, 3:45 pm
Division: B
State: -
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby u287772 » May 22nd, 2013, 10:33 am

Daniel Wright (DW) beat Solon in all conventional metrics:

Total Medals - DW: 14 vs Solon: 13
Gold Medals - DW: 6 vs Solon: 2
Gold/Silver/Bronze - DW: 9 vs Solon: 7
Top 10 Events - DW: 17 vs Solon: 16

However, Solon beat DW a mere 5 points in this category, which determined the final outcome:

Points in 3 weakest events - DW: 60 (24,18,18) vs Solon: 53 (20,17,16)

Jdogg
Member
Member
Posts: 169
Joined: May 19th, 2011, 6:00 pm
Division: Grad
State: PA
Location: Harriton > PSU
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby Jdogg » May 22nd, 2013, 11:00 am

ckssv07 wrote:
EASTstroudsburg13 wrote:No, no. Stop.

Repeat after me:

Science Olympiad is a team competition.

Keep doing that until you feel better.

Why blame yourself when there are so many other factors involved? One person is never, and I repeat never, fully responsible for a team's placing.

I know but I racked up 170 of my teams 400 points, so it is possible to blame on me.


Hey, last year I racked up a lot of points in both my events at nats. I averaged 20th in both, (still had that scoring error in robot...) but still I ended up costing our team 41 points in just two events.. out of the team total of 314. If you work hard, you can do well. I sort of got ahead of myself after 1st in both my events at states. Then i get 20th and BR ends up getting first in grav, but the moral of this long overly drawn out conversation is that anything can happen. Work hard next year and just put everything you have into scioly. It paid of for me, I'm just so happy that i didn't end up quitting science olympiad last year (cause I was seriously thinking of it after all that happened at the national tournament..). Then this year I was really able to "wow" the crowd with some of my stuff, which in the end is just pure hard work and lots of time.
Harriton Class of 2013
Vice-Deputy of Avionics and Control for Lunar Lion
Assistant Coach of State College High School

User avatar
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 116
Joined: February 23rd, 2008, 7:39 pm
Division: Grad
State: OH
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby kentuckyfan1001 » May 22nd, 2013, 1:47 pm

u287772 wrote:Daniel Wright (DW) beat Solon in all conventional metrics:

Total Medals - DW: 14 vs Solon: 13
Gold Medals - DW: 6 vs Solon: 2
Gold/Silver/Bronze - DW: 9 vs Solon: 7
Top 10 Events - DW: 17 vs Solon: 16

However, Solon beat DW a mere 5 points in this category, which determined the final outcome:

Points in 3 weakest events - DW: 60 (24,18,18) vs Solon: 53 (20,17,16)


This is exactly why everyone thought Solon Middle was going to lose (and to an extent, Solon High as well). I guess it really shows that it's always about the non-placings in events.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor

User avatar
pjgscioisamazing
Member
Member
Posts: 539
Joined: February 14th, 2008, 3:46 pm
Division: Grad
State: NY
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby pjgscioisamazing » May 22nd, 2013, 1:58 pm

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
u287772 wrote:Daniel Wright (DW) beat Solon in all conventional metrics:

Total Medals - DW: 14 vs Solon: 13
Gold Medals - DW: 6 vs Solon: 2
Gold/Silver/Bronze - DW: 9 vs Solon: 7
Top 10 Events - DW: 17 vs Solon: 16

However, Solon beat DW a mere 5 points in this category, which determined the final outcome:

Points in 3 weakest events - DW: 60 (24,18,18) vs Solon: 53 (20,17,16)


This is exactly why everyone thought Solon Middle was going to lose (and to an extent, Solon High as well). I guess it really shows that it's always about the non-placings in events.


Completely. It's not about how good your best was, it's about how good your worst was.
2007-2012. Paul J Gelinas Jr High and Ward Melville High School

Astronomy, Rocks & Minerals, MagLev, Dynamic Planet (E&V), Anatomy (Circulatory), Reach for the Stars, Meteorology (Climate), Remote Sensing, Disease Detectives, Metric Mastery, Pentathlon, Balloon Race, Tower Building

sp3
Member
Member
Posts: 10
Joined: May 8th, 2013, 6:50 pm
Division: Grad
State: -
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby sp3 » May 22nd, 2013, 3:10 pm

pjgscioisamazing wrote:
kentuckyfan1001 wrote:
u287772 wrote:Daniel Wright (DW) beat Solon in all conventional metrics:

Total Medals - DW: 14 vs Solon: 13
Gold Medals - DW: 6 vs Solon: 2
Gold/Silver/Bronze - DW: 9 vs Solon: 7
Top 10 Events - DW: 17 vs Solon: 16

However, Solon beat DW a mere 5 points in this category, which determined the final outcome:

Points in 3 weakest events - DW: 60 (24,18,18) vs Solon: 53 (20,17,16)


This is exactly why everyone thought Solon Middle was going to lose (and to an extent, Solon High as well). I guess it really shows that it's always about the non-placings in events.


Completely. It's not about how good your best was, it's about how good your worst was.


Exactly. It becomes teams' weak events competition due to equally weighted scoring system. What if using a weighted score system?

Sciolapedia
Member
Member
Posts: 91
Joined: March 26th, 2013, 4:58 pm
Division: C
State: PA
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby Sciolapedia » May 27th, 2013, 3:44 pm

I didn't do that well in my events either. I hate blaming it on things, but Im pretty sure I didn't do as well because both of my events were stations and I absolutely FAIL at stations. The time restriction and the fact that you can't double check really hurts me since I 'm the type that makes a billion stupid errors. Hopefully, if we make it next year, it won't be dumb stations.

retired1
Member
Member
Posts: 657
Joined: July 25th, 2012, 5:04 pm
Division: Grad
State: FL
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby retired1 » May 27th, 2013, 5:41 pm

It is all ready weighted. All events are equal, just as it should be. It is not doing great in 10 - 15 events and not so good in the rest that wins. All teams have the same chance. You weight it and it skews the whole event to favor the elite.

Top 10 B and top 10 C-19 teams were at nationals last year. Experience definitely seriously helps.

mrburrito
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: March 4th, 2013, 4:13 pm
Division: B
State: TN
Location: Does anyone actually use this the right way?
Contact:

Re: Unofficial Rankings, Division B

Postby mrburrito » May 28th, 2013, 8:54 am

retired1 wrote:It is all ready weighted. All events are equal, just as it should be. It is not doing great in 10 - 15 events and not so good in the rest that wins. All teams have the same chance. You weight it and it skews the whole event to favor the elite.

Top 10 B and top 10 C-19 teams were at nationals last year. Experience definitely seriously helps.


Mentor Memorial wasn't there, but you're absolutely right that experience helps.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito


Return to “2013 Nationals”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest