wolfhound25
Division: B
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Green Generation

Post by wolfhound25 »

Howdy all, I had some questions about the event Green Generations

1st off, this event is exceptionally vague in its descriptions of what it covers. The best example of this is that, for Part 1, it has sections which cover 3 other Scio events. "Endangered wildlife/places" being Triple E, "General principles of Ecology ii. World's Oceans/Estuaries" covering WQ, and "Greenhouse gases/Climate changes" covering Meteorology. Is this event really going to be as general as it is written, or does it focus in a lot more, such as, for the endangered species, will it focus by Biome what is causing species to go extinct or become endangered? Hopefully someone who has had this event at the state or regional level could answer this one =)

2nd, anything relating to the production of energy or the environment is an inherently controversial topic. Is it better to remain a disconnected view while analyzing impact upon the environment, or should you go in with a more passionate view? This really depends upon the event supervisor as far as I can tell, but perhaps someone who has done it before could offer some advice? =)

Thanks in advance for advice,
-Wolfhound-
-Wolfhound-
silverheart7
Division: Grad

Re: Green Generation

Post by silverheart7 »

This is unconnected, but everyone please welcome one of my Gelinas porcupines! I know this has been a trial event before, so if anyone has any clarification on what to expect, it would be helpful to those who are in a state where this event has never been run.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
14sarah
State: TX

Post by 14sarah »

wolfhound25 wrote:Howdy all, I had some questions about the event Green Generations

1st off, this event is exceptionally vague in its descriptions of what it covers. The best example of this is that, for Part 1, it has sections which cover 3 other Scio events. "Endangered wildlife/places" being Triple E, "General principles of Ecology ii. World's Oceans/Estuaries" covering WQ, and "Greenhouse gases/Climate changes" covering Meteorology. Is this event really going to be as general as it is written, or does it focus in a lot more, such as, for the endangered species, will it focus by Biome what is causing species to go extinct or become endangered? Hopefully someone who has had this event at the state or regional level could answer this one =)

2nd, anything relating to the production of energy or the environment is an inherently controversial topic. Is it better to remain a disconnected view while analyzing impact upon the environment, or should you go in with a more passionate view? This really depends upon the event supervisor as far as I can tell, but perhaps someone who has done it before could offer some advice? =)

Thanks in advance for advice,
-Wolfhound-
I was wondering the same thing. I would cover as much as possible.
siciscio
Division: C

Post by siciscio »

Have you people tried looking through the archives before? or the older sites. If its been an event before then it must be around somewhere. Thats where i found stuff for Boomilever earlier on in the season. (I know theres a history page somewhere on the site. i just need to dig it up)

Edit: You can use this time machine to take you back to older pages, but usually I'll just take
take this short cut to the 2008 forum.
WindPower, Bridges.
EmuFreak

Post by EmuFreak »

One thing that sort of bugs me about this event is that in the rules, they said that resources would be posted on sonic.org, but either I'm really bad at looking or they're nonexistent. -_-

I DID find this website that has pretty good links, though: http://emsscienceolympiad.weebly.com/gr ... ation.html you might've found this already, but it's a good place to start... This is my first know-it ever, so I found this helpful...

Link to online rules (again, you probably found this already, but it doesn't hurt to add it here I guess): http://www.soinc.org/sites/default/file ... 2-7-12.pdf
2013 States:
Helicopter- 6th
Metric Mastery- 1st
Rotor Egg Drop- 6th
(I'm also doing Green Generation at Nats)

We're going to Nats!!!
akfackenthal00
State: CA

Post by akfackenthal00 »

I have actually made some good progress in this event--of course, my partner and i split up the tasks. i am doing parts one and three.
However, i have some questions:
-Did you guys really focus on section three? i feel like you cant really do this part unless you have a test that has those types of questions... :|
-have any good sites? ;)
Thanks!!!!!
wolfhound25

Post by wolfhound25 »

The way that I've gone about it is just essentially researching the general topics which they give you, and some of them umbrella heavily. There are 2 or 3 schools which have resources posted, but thats about the total that ive come across. Section 3 is a pain, just know the general environmental requirements for any given variable. For instance, a PH of about 5.5-6.5 is about right for msot plants, at least in forested regions. Another way to go about it is by biome, just have the environmental variables for each biome.

-Wolfhound-
-Wolfhound-
Saillew
State: PA

Post by Saillew »

So I have competed in this event at Pennsylvania States, and the whole test was nothing like I was expecting. I will also be competing in this event at Nationals and to be honest I am hoping for better. At the Penn States the test was five questions long, with two questions that were about alternative energy sources, which I was expecting. Then the three other questions were interpreting graphs that had nothing to do with the general topics outlined in the Green Gen rules. I don't blame the writer of the test because the rules are very vague too, but I am really hoping for more.
Professional Alternate
akfackenthal00
State: CA

Post by akfackenthal00 »

well looking at other peoples ideas i feel like there is a lot out there that we are not covering. But Wolfhound, thanks for all the sites; i looked at all of them. :) :cry:

Return to “2013 Nationals”