Invasive Species

ILoveEgretsClub
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Invasive Species

Post by ILoveEgretsClub »

Anyone from Muscatel or Marie Murphy here? I think all three of us would like explanations, hahaha.
I really don't know what happened, because my partner and I are 200% sure that our performance wasn't 52nd place. Sure we didn't do the best, but there's no way that we placed basically 2nd to last (excluding the teams that didn't do it and the teams that somehow got DQ'd from a study event?).
All I'm saying is that it's unusual for such strong teams to do so poorly.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

ILoveEgretsClub wrote: All I'm saying is that it's unusual for such strong teams to do so poorly.
I'm brand new to this Nationals thing (and hope it wasn't a one-time fluke that we got there) but to me it seems like the strong teams do very well on the events that repeat year after year (or cycle). They've got those down and know what to expect on a National test, while the weaker teams haven't exactly cracked the code on these events. But, with new events such as this year's trial events, nobody, strong team or not, has exactly figured out the formula for success on it yet, so it's more of an open field and none of the stronger teams have older teammates or coaches giving out hints on how to medal in them... Yet...
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
death_owl
Division: B
State: TX

Post by death_owl »

hscmom wrote:
ILoveEgretsClub wrote: All I'm saying is that it's unusual for such strong teams to do so poorly.
I'm brand new to this Nationals thing (and hope it wasn't a one-time fluke that we got there) but to me it seems like the strong teams do very well on the events that repeat year after year (or cycle). They've got those down and know what to expect on a National test, while the weaker teams haven't exactly cracked the code on these events. But, with new events such as this year's trial events, nobody, strong team or not, has exactly figured out the formula for success on it yet, so it's more of an open field and none of the stronger teams have older teammates or coaches giving out hints on how to medal in them... Yet...
That is true. Trial events are 45% luck and 55% studying/building. Medaling or not, it was still a unforgettable experience right? And that's what really matters. :)
Beckendorff Science Olympiad
Tennis, Basketball, Swimming, Track <3
CELLO ORK-DORK :D
2nd Year
Going to State/Nats.
I like food :]
erikb

Post by erikb »

hscmom wrote:
Keep in mind that trial events are random. Some states have them at the state level. Many do not.

Most teams don't even look at the event until after they win state and the event normally goes to an alternate. Who gets it not because they love the subject but because it's what they get.

However, in no way am i diminishing the accomplishment of winning at nationals. It is still a feat and a demonstration of hard work.

As far as the new events are weak for the strong teams. I would like to point out that Solon (C) was top ten in 18 events and not a single event below 30th. Placing 2nd in mag lev, Elastic launch glider 14th and material science 7th all brand new this year. In fact of those three events, the top schools were predominately in the top 20. An amazing feat.

The top 7 teams averaged top 10 in at least 14 events and only a handful of events were they below the top 20.

The strong teams are strong because they practice, study and compete to win at nationals. Their is no secret code to crack. The best students with the hardest work ethic, win. Those kids know the subject and are prepared for anything that the judges at nationals will throw at them, no matter how obscure.

And be very proud of your team. First time at nationals, top 30 placement and two medals. But, don't show up to the party knocking the top teams. Nothing about the top teams is weak. They are strong in every single event.
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
erikb

Post by erikb »

At nationals every test is available after the event.
http://www.soinc.org/preparation_tips

Everyone starts out on the same foot come next sept/oct (when the rules come out). All the national tests are out there to study. There is no secret stash of national test knowledge.
--
Poudre High School, Fort Collins CO.
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

erikb wrote: Most teams don't even look at the event until after they win state and the event normally goes to an alternate. Who gets it not because they love the subject but because it's what they get. [...]

But, don't show up to the party knocking the top teams. Nothing about the top teams is weak. They are strong in every single event.
Never knocking them -- admiring them. Nothing but praise here! Wow... Of course they are strong in every event ... or they wouldn't be where they are.

And, yes, we didn't look at trial events until we qualified for Nat's -- as we've never been before and all our students were working hard on their state events before state. Four alternates took the two B trial events which were assigned to them about April 25.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008

Return to “2013 Nationals”