codenamemoraine
Division: C
State: VA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First Time at Nationals!

Post by codenamemoraine »

Hi guys!
So, this year will be my first ever time at nationals. I've been competing for years and never gone, so I feel like this is the culmination of all my effort and I'm absolutely pysched.
:D :mrgreen:
I was wondering what you experienced people have to say about nationals. What did you wish you knew before your first time? What happens there that you never hear about? Funny stories? Tips? What's it like? Please help out a noob! Thanks!
Events: Astronomy, ED, Dynamic Planet, Remote Sensing, Water Quality (<--might drop one for Nats)
silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY

Re: First Time at Nationals!

Post by silverheart7 »

Well, this is my first time too :D It's apparently really fun, so I can't wait to compete. On the downside... Fourteen hour bus ride.
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
tornado guy
State: WA

Post by tornado guy »

Well, nationals is probably the funnest thing I ever have done in my life. Some pointers I would give: 1. Make sure you know where all your rooms are located before competition day. Last year I was almost late for an event because of parking and not knowing exactly where the room was. 2. Get good sleep in the days leading up to friday! Cannot stress this enough, my team's coaches would not let us stay up late on Fridays anyways, but if you are a late night studier on friday be sure to get plenty of sleep week before. 3. Have fun and don't worry about a medal. I made that mistake a couple years back, and ended paying for my "high" expectations. nationals is fun for the experience and seeing teams from around the nation, so enjoy it. I will say that metaling does help make things even better!
Proud ExCEL Homeschooler for five awesome years!
Nationals 2012: Meteorology 5th, R&M 19th, WQ 21st, DP 30th. Team 11th

Regionals 2013 C division: DP 3rd, WQ 5th.
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

NATIONALS IS AMAZING. It's really fun - just everything that goes on - parade of states, swap meet, banquet, the opening ceremonies, and especially the award ceremony. A little hint on medaling in an event: know everything beyond what is in the rules, and prevent not knowing the answer to any question. It sounds like basic advice, but people tend to not expand what they know between state and nationals. Also for the swap meet, make sure you bring really neat stuff... Not just like badges, toys, pencils, etc.
Medal Counter: 73
summit
Division: B
State: CO

Post by summit »

XJcwolfyX wrote:. Also for the swap meet, make sure you bring really neat stuff... Not just like badges, toys, pencils, etc.
Would you mind elaborating on this? What types of items do people bring? Thank you!
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

summit wrote:
XJcwolfyX wrote:. Also for the swap meet, make sure you bring really neat stuff... Not just like badges, toys, pencils, etc.
Would you mind elaborating on this? What types of items do people bring? Thank you!
A pretty good idea of what it's like can be found here.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
summit
Division: B
State: CO

Post by summit »

thanks!
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

For example, don't ring clichè key chains and pencils. You should bring interesting stuff. For example, every year, the hottest items are the cheese hats from Wisconsin. Other hot items are the corn hats, Texas light up cowboy hats, and Martha vineyard pink whales. From Illinois we were wearing Detek Rose t shirts an everyone wanted them lol. Two girls even tracked me down on Saturday afternoon to get one. O_O

Don't get me wrong, BRING little items as well, a variety is good, but make sure you have something strong to supplement the small items.

Don't know if this helped, lol.

PS: a fun game is where everyone starts out with the same item, something small. Then, by the end of the night, you see who has worked their way up to the best item. Never tried it, but I really want to.
Medal Counter: 73
MHS_Scioly_1
State: OH

Post by MHS_Scioly_1 »

This sounds really fun. Even though the competition is good, sometimes I really wish I didn't live in Ohio. If our team was in any other state, we'd be pretty much guaranteed to go to Nationals every year. It seems like we (Mentor High) often tend to get 3rd, trailing behind only Centerville and Solon.
2013 events: Remote Sensing, Water Quality, Forestry, and Robot Arm
codenamemoraine
State: VA

Post by codenamemoraine »

I feel for you, MHS_Scioly_1, I've been doing Science Olympiad for four years and only now am I finally getting to go! Good luck, and don't give up!

So I've heard a ton about the cheese hats, but what other stuff do people bring? And how many things should each team bring? How much stuff does each person typically come away with?

Thanks for the replies everyone, this is really helpful!
Events: Astronomy, ED, Dynamic Planet, Remote Sensing, Water Quality (<--might drop one for Nats)

Return to “2013 Nationals”