hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: First Time at Nationals!

Post by hscmom »

sciolymom wrote:Would someone explain more how the swap works? I read that each team has a team table, but what happens at the table if everyone is going around trading? Do the swap items stay at the table, or do you carry them around the room with you in a bag or something? Thank you, Sci O experts!
Hey, you must be on my team! We moms can sit at the table while the young'uns run around swapping.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
rfscoach
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: GA

Post by rfscoach »

hscmom wrote:
sciolymom wrote:Would someone explain more how the swap works? I read that each team has a team table, but what happens at the table if everyone is going around trading? Do the swap items stay at the table, or do you carry them around the room with you in a bag or something? Thank you, Sci O experts!
Hey, you must be on my team! We moms can sit at the table while the young'uns run around swapping.
The Coaches/Event Supervisors meeting is held at the same time as the Swap Meet, so one or two of your coaches will need to be there instead of manning the teams' swap table.
I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues.
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

rfscoach wrote:
hscmom wrote:
The Coaches/Event Supervisors meeting is held at the same time as the Swap Meet, so one or two of your coaches will need to be there instead of manning the teams' swap table.
Uh, I guess I ought to figure out what I'm doing instead of looking up exactly when the garlic mustard arrived here in USA or the subtle differences between the Ohio and California buckeyes... Tell me to give it up, give it up.

Right?

Anyway, we should have as many parents as any team there...

Since I'm the ADHD coach, either I shouldn't go to the coach/ES meeting or at least shouldn't go alone. I'd walk out of there and go "huh?"
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN
Has thanked: 0

Post by Luo »

hscmom wrote:Anyway, we should have as many parents as any team there...
I don't know how many parents is usual for a team to bring. In each of the past two years going to nationals, we have brought zero parents with us. This year, there will be exactly one parent traveling with us. It is possible that we are an anomaly; I don't know. I'd guess that parents probably travel with the team more frequently for Division B teams than for Division C teams. Also, in my experience, adults aren't usually involved with participating in the swap meet except in a few cases, though that of course does not in any way prohibit you or anyone from doing so.
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
silverheart7
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by silverheart7 »

I think we're taking three parents... And of course, two of them happen to be mine. 8-)
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
hscmom
Coach
Coach

Post by hscmom »

The reason we're taking so many parents is that we're one of the two B homeschool teams competing. Everyone is coming with mom and/or dad and perhaps a few siblings. Lots of minivans and such coming...

It's our first time at Nationals and we're plenty excited.
CaRoLyN_s
State: MD

Post by CaRoLyN_s »

I just had my 1st nationals this weekend and it was totally awesome. The tests were pretty hard and finishing isn't always reasonable (we didn't finish disease detectives by like 5 questions and we still got 14th). The swap meet was much better than i expected, people brought really cool stuff. Our team set a Maryland record ( :D ) with 32nd place overall. For newbies, make sure that your alarm is RIGHT BESIDE your bed, had a pretty close call with disease detectives. Also, for building events (like mission possible) , take a mental chill pill before you start your box, we had a rather INTERESTING run that ended with our hydraulic system spouting water all over the box, carpet and the closest person (me). We missed a connection on the pump in our nervousness so... DON"T BE NERVOUS, wait, thats literally impossible, but bring a CHECKLIST or something if you know that you'll be a mexican jumping bean at the actual competition (like me). Anyways, nats was AWESOME, really want to make it again next year (orlando!).
2014 Events:
Disease Detectives
Sounds of Music
Meteorology
Simple Machines
A Person
State: KY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by A Person »

CaRoLyN_s wrote:I just had my 1st nationals this weekend and it was totally awesome. The tests were pretty hard and finishing isn't always reasonable (we didn't finish disease detectives by like 5 questions and we still got 14th). The swap meet was much better than i expected, people brought really cool stuff. Our team set a Maryland record ( :D ) with 32nd place overall. For newbies, make sure that your alarm is RIGHT BESIDE your bed, had a pretty close call with disease detectives. Also, for building events (like mission possible) , take a mental chill pill before you start your box, we had a rather INTERESTING run that ended with our hydraulic system spouting water all over the box, carpet and the closest person (me). We missed a connection on the pump in our nervousness so... DON"T BE NERVOUS, wait, thats literally impossible, but bring a CHECKLIST or something if you know that you'll be a mexican jumping bean at the actual competition (like me). Anyways, nats was AWESOME, really want to make it again next year (orlando!).
Checklists are interesting:

1. Make sure that the box is actually there. This is an important step, don’t skip it.
2. Do you have the TSL? Do you have the checklist? (If not…. What?)
3. Make sure everything is set up correctly; this is, without a doubt, the most important step.
7. Make sure that no areas are contacting where they are not supposed to. (Wires not supposed to touch the anti-grav, ect)
10. Make many of the areas are not jammed. (Elevator, strings, other elevator, ramp, or the anti gravity systems)
13. Make sure that the anti-gravity mechanism is installed properly. (Don’t want to collapse this dimension again)
14. Make sure you have all the needed materials. (Quarter, TSL, fire extinguisher, ect.)
15. Make sure to not forget the flip the switches, you may cause the anti gravity systems to not work properly.
16. Make sure the firing pins are locked in.
20. Are the batteries connected?
21. Are you ready for this?
22. Make sure that [team member] has made sure. If something goes wrong, blame [team member].
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
CaRoLyN_s
State: MD

Post by CaRoLyN_s »

fire extinguisher lol :lol:
2014 Events:
Disease Detectives
Sounds of Music
Meteorology
Simple Machines
MacBookMinus
State: IL

Post by MacBookMinus »

codenamemoraine wrote:Funny stories? Tips? What's it like? Please help out a noob! Thanks!
Too bad you missed out on it last year, it was in Florida (although I hear it will be there next year? Someone correct me...) Basically its awesome. Enjoy.
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."

Return to “2013 Nationals”