hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: NATIONAL MISSION POSSIBLE

Post by hscmom »

Well, the arbitration process is in place and it works. That's good.

For future rules, it's probably a good idea for the rule-writers to make note of the sections of wording that caused the most problems in MP -- or any other event, for that matter. If a team is the only one that has an issue with a particular rule, it's likely the team's problem because they read it differently than the other 650-odd teams. However if dozens of teams misinterpreted (meaning didn't interpret it as how the rule-writer intended) a particular rule in a particular way -- and their coaches, regional supervisors, and state supervisors all misinterpreted the rule the same way -- then a similar wording of a rule in the future will likely result in the same rush to the arbitration table. So, let's flag our troublesome wording and find a better way to get the intentions on paper.

That said, I thought it was run fairly and I appreciate all the volunteers (supervisors, etc.) that made the event, and the tournament, happen.
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

hscmom wrote: For future rules, it's probably a good idea for the rule-writers to make note of the sections of wording that caused the most problems in MP -- or any other event, for that matter. If a team is the only one that has an issue with a particular rule, it's likely the team's problem because they read it differently than the other 650-odd teams. However if dozens of teams misinterpreted (meaning didn't interpret it as how the rule-writer intended) a particular rule in a particular way -- and their coaches, regional supervisors, and state supervisors all misinterpreted the rule the same way -- then a similar wording of a rule in the future will likely result in the same rush to the arbitration table. So, let's flag our troublesome wording and find a better way to get the intentions on paper.
This is one of the main reasons I and many other national rules committee members are so active on the SciOly forums. We are always looking for big issues to resolve in the rules.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

chalker wrote:
hscmom wrote: For future rules, it's probably a good idea for the rule-writers to make note of the sections of wording that caused the most problems in MP -- or any other event, for that matter. If a team is the only one that has an issue with a particular rule, it's likely the team's problem because they read it differently than the other 650-odd teams. However if dozens of teams misinterpreted (meaning didn't interpret it as how the rule-writer intended) a particular rule in a particular way -- and their coaches, regional supervisors, and state supervisors all misinterpreted the rule the same way -- then a similar wording of a rule in the future will likely result in the same rush to the arbitration table. So, let's flag our troublesome wording and find a better way to get the intentions on paper.
This is one of the main reasons I and many other national rules committee members are so active on the SciOly forums. We are always looking for big issues to resolve in the rules.
And thank you for doing so. It's dedication like that that makes this an excellent organization. It's probably quite rare in these sorts of competitions for the organizers to be listening to what the students say and seriously considering the points they're making. It shows a nice level of humility -- to realize that there might be issues to be ironed out.

Oh, and I meant "50-odd" teams in my last post! I guess my finger slipped.

And we thought you were only here on scioly because we're such a fun group to hang out with. :lol:

Anyway, I thought Nationals was well-run. I guess I expected it to be, but was still very happy that it was. In Regional and State level tournaments we've sometimes come across things that were a bit disheartening...

Hope I get to see if Nationals next year is also well-run...
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
MacBookMinus
Division: B
State: IL
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MacBookMinus »

BMC4COSMO wrote:Did anyone have unusual interpretation of the mission rules at nationals? We lost 30 points because of the word "lift"
I'm not in mission but my team lost 200 and something (not sure if all because of LIFT). Again I am not fully aware of the situation, but what they did was knock something up rather than lift it, and apparently they were false.
Confucius say "man who run in front of car get tired, but man who run behind car get exhausted."

Return to “2013 Nationals”