NATIONAL MISSION POSSIBLE

BMC4COSMO
Division: B
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NATIONAL MISSION POSSIBLE

Post by BMC4COSMO »

Did anyone have unusual interpretation of the mission rules at nationals? We lost 30 points because of the word "lift"
hc1220
State: MO

Re: NATIONAL MISSION POSSIBLE

Post by hc1220 »

Though I didn't do mission, I thought the judging was unusually harsh. I watched my friend from my school do it, and he lost like 50 points because of a controversial complication of the wheel and axle.
2014: Ladue Middle- 8th at nats!
CMShong

Post by CMShong »

same here. Lost all the points on the wheel and ax.
1st for rotor egg drop at nationals 2011-2012
2nd for reach for the stars at states 2011-2012
5th for storm the castle at states 2011-2012
1st for helicopter for states 2011-2012
hc1220
State: MO

Post by hc1220 »

Yeah. And the judge tried to take off all 250 final task points for illegal wiring on a wire that wasn't even part of the mission... We protested successfully. The judge was really technical.. We only got 17th in mission. If not for the 50 point loss, we would've gone close to placing...
2014: Ladue Middle- 8th at nats!
hscmom
Coach
Coach
Division: Grad
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

Seems like it was a tricky event. From the buzz yesterday it seemed like the majority of arbitration issues were MP issues. You'd hear the coaches walk to the table saying "blah blah blah mission possible blah blah blah."

Got 8th -- as we were 3 seconds off. We had gotten 7 perfect runs after letting our device acclimate to the humidity there in Dayton -- we arrived on Tuesday. Oh well. As the team was setting up, one of the judges stopped by and asked my daughter a question, interrupting the set up. Another judge said not to bother the teams during their set up time and to save questions for later. It was an innocent mistake... Maybe that interruption screwed up the kids' timing or something because we were totally surprised that we finished 3 seconds early -- something we've never done before. But, 8th is fine (medal would've been finer...)
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
alpacas
Division: C
State: CA

Post by alpacas »

our mission's tower got stuck on the way up, which was extremely unusual and we were 3 seconds over (10th place). I thought the judging was a lot more lenient this year than last year.
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

In case you all didn't know, the national event supervisor is the one that primarily wrote the rules and has been doing this particular event for a VERY long time. Thus I'd suggest his 'interpretation' or 'harshness' or 'technicality' was exactly what was meant in the rules. Note that although there were several arbitrations in this event, they all essentially boiled down to only 2 issues, and the committee ruled in favor of the supervisor on one issue and in favor of the competitors on the other one.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

chalker wrote:In case you all didn't know, the national event supervisor is the one that primarily wrote the rules and has been doing this particular event for a VERY long time. Thus I'd suggest his 'interpretation' or 'harshness' or 'technicality' was exactly what was meant in the rules. Note that although there were several arbitrations in this event, they all essentially boiled down to only 2 issues, and the committee ruled in favor of the supervisor on one issue and in favor of the competitors on the other one.
If I may ask, which way was the arbitration on Rocks & Minerals (Division C) decided, and were any changes made? (Apologies for being off-topic of thread.)
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
apeworld
State: KY

Post by apeworld »

The national event coordinator was very tough but, I did understand his reasoning. Though I do not like the fact he chose to deduct points if it looked like the student DID NOT build it.
Division B Competitor for Russell Middle School!
2014 State Placings: Can't Judge a Powder 2nd, Crime Busters 3rd.

6-Consecutive State Championships:2009,2010,2011,2012,2013,2014
BMC4COSMO
State: WI

Post by BMC4COSMO »

chalker wrote:In case you all didn't know, the national event supervisor is the one that primarily wrote the rules and has been doing this particular event for a VERY long time. Thus I'd suggest his 'interpretation' or 'harshness' or 'technicality' was exactly what was meant in the rules. Note that although there were several arbitrations in this event, they all essentially boiled down to only 2 issues, and the committee ruled in favor of the supervisor on one issue and in favor of the competitors on the other one.

I believe we have found the root cause. "exactly what was meant" seems a little self centered. That arrogance was certainly on display last Saturday. Our coach always talks about many ways to solve a problem. It looks like at nationals there is only one way.

Return to “2013 Nationals”