Stories 2013

silverheart7
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Stories 2013

Post by silverheart7 »

Tell all of your National stories from Wright State!

-I asked kids from Beckondorff whether they were from NorCal or SoCal. I did know you guys were from Texas, but I got disoriented because Muscatel was behind us and Churchill was in front of us.

-Speaking of Muscatel, I must apologize to the girls behind my boyfriend and me. I think my team and I were rude to a few of you guys, and I'm so sorry. I was the girl in the black dress, who continually was chiding my boyfriend and covering my ears whenever you guys got a medal. You had every right to be excited, but all of you scream at the same frequency, and with a large volume. I'm extremely sensitive to noise, and I promise I wasn't trying to offend you in any way! Congratulations on your medals and team placement!

-I met a few really awesome people from scioly, even though I didn't go to the meet up! Algorithmic (I think?) & kentuckyfan and I had a very nice conversation outside of Sounds of Music and I met hotchocolate and someone else from Beckondorff during the opening ceremony. A boy from my team told me a girl from Alabama had asked about me, and I screamed. He mentioned something about the fact that she didn't want me to hug her, and also that she did Sounds of Music. Forever, can you confirm/deny this was you?

-I have an inability to say the word 'anenome' apparently... I was trying to describe the hats at the opening ceremony.

-I got a cow hat at the swap meet. As we were leaving, I was offered a moose hat in exchange. I declined, causing many of my team members to yell at me. Apparently, they're rare? I didn't want to give it up because a) I really liked this hat and b) I traded away all of my friend's stuff (with his permission) for it.

-I said to a teammate, "There is no 'I' in team, but there is a 'we'" which made everyone laugh and file it under, 'Stupid things silverheart7 says.'
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
PacificGoldenPlover
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Re: Stories 2013

Post by PacificGoldenPlover »

You forgot your best story silverheart.
We met briefly when you were waiting for forestry and I for rocks. Sorry I didn't want to hug you... you caught me by surprise, and I responded by instinct to shake hands instead. I sincerely hope you weren't offended.

Speaking of handshaking, it was nice meeting Luo on stage for rocks. Nice job!

I also met paleonaps and jdogg. Good luck both of you!

For forestry, my partner and I were tired, and we mistakenly walked into the geomapping room instead of the forestry room. It took us a few minutes to realize that no, those were not forestry tests on our desks.

And of course there was our team's opening ceremony antics (yes, it was two of our team members who went up to shake the professor's hand (followed by one of them falling over... yes that was intentional.)

That's all I can think of right now.
Life List: n. A list of bird species definitively seen by a birdwatcher.
PacificGoldenPlover's Life List : 319
Most recent lifer: Red-throated Loon

2014 (Mira Loma/Troy/Regionals/States/Nationals)
Dynamic Planet (2/2/1/1/1)
Designer Genes (1/4/1/13 (???)/13 (figures)
Water Quality (1/1/3/1/3)
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:You forgot your best story silverheart.
We met briefly when you were waiting for forestry and I for rocks. Sorry I didn't want to hug you... you caught me by surprise, and I responded by instinct to shake hands instead. I sincerely hope you weren't offended.
Oops, I promise I didn't forget you! Don't worry about it, many (and by that I mean most) people get caught off guard by how affectionate I am, so I never get offended by people refusing :D It was really cool to meet you, congratulations on doing so well!
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Oh stories…I’ve got so many, let’s see…

The first one would be at the swap meet, I suppose, at the scioly.org meetup. bear had asked me to get a few things for him, with the promise he’d pay me back, so I did. When he showed up, he got out his wallet and peeled off quite a few dollars. Of course, no one else there at the meetup knew what was happening, and we didn’t actually exchange anything, so what it looked like was just him paying me off for no reason. As I recall, it went something like this:
*gives money*
*people notice*
*dead silence except for swap meet noise*
*more awkward staring*
*still giving money*
“…this doesn’t look shady at all.” <-- bear
“Why don’t I get any?” <-- Z

Another one would be sometime during Nats…sometime. Alpha told me she had a cousin present at Nats, so I went and asked her team specifically for her. Since she’d never met me and it was quite out of the blue, I scared her and her team quite a bit…up until I told her I knew her cousin. Then it went something like this:
Teammate from cousin’s team: “She’s got a cousin in Alabama?”
Me: “No, she’s got a cousin in Pennsylvania.”
Cousin: “Then how do you know her?!”
Me: (deciding I don’t want to explain scioly.org) “She’s my honorary mother.”
Teammate from cousin’s team: “…what. How does that even make sense? Does that make <Alpha’s cousin> your cousin once removed?”
Me: “Wouldn’t it be more like aunt?”
Cousin: “…I think I prefer cousin.”
Me: “BUT THAT’S NOT POSSIBLE. Anyways, <Alpha> said to say hi. Hi.”
…yup, it was fun.

The third one would be actually during competition day. I met up with Scat (Schrodingerscat) and his friend during competition because I had a few empty event blocks. His friend knew someone on the Harriton team and for some reason wanted to give her things. Our problem was that we had no idea where to find them…but Scat pulled out this list of all the teams and their homerooms, and my immediate response was, “Even I don’t have that!”

So we went and found Harriton, but none of us knew how to walk in the (open) door and say hi. What ended up happening was us just not knowing what to do (a.k.a. none of us having the sense to just, y’know, say hello) and standing outside their door and staring at them. After a few minutes, Harriton was seriously starting to get creeped out (how would you feel if three random people stood outside your door and refused to leave?); they kept glancing at us and looking back at their friends and then looking at us again to see if we’d left. This went on for about…five, ten minutes? (And during this time, still none of us had the sense to go up and say hi.) Finally, a girl from their team looked at us and went, “Can we…help you?” at which point the three of us burst out laughing and walked straight into their homeroom.
And then Scat’s friend told them why we were there.

…I think I’ll lay off for now.

EDIT:
silverheart7 wrote:A boy from my team told me a girl from Alabama had asked about me, and I screamed. He mentioned something about the fact that she didn't want me to hug her, and also that she did Sounds of Music. Forever, can you confirm/deny this was you?
That was indeed me...Nestor was, um, very...certain about Moustetrap Vehicle...we ended up beating you guys though, so it's all good. ;) In all seriousness, though, you guys did amazing in Mousetrap.
I did want to see you! I just did not want you to hug me...
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
justsomedudenamedted
Division: C
State: SD

Post by justsomedudenamedted »

Well then. This is gona be funnnn. :)

First off, me and my team were waiting to go for the Parade of states, and my shock value partner asked me if I still has my offical science olympiad nationals deck of cards, which I carried everywhere throughout the entire tournement. So we dealed them out for us 5, then 3 Tennesee kids joined in, then 4 Beckendorff (least I think it was them...), and lastly 2 South Carolina guys. It didnt go well..... 13 people playing BS is a little over the limit..... soon it was mostly other people looking at us, thinking "what the butterfly are they doing?!" then it just ended.

May share more, after I remember them...
Circuit Lab, Geologic Mapping, Dynamic Planet

3-time Nats participant.

I told you it was 75%, but noooooo
Luo
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: MN

Post by Luo »

PacificGoldenPlover wrote:Speaking of handshaking, it was nice meeting Luo on stage for rocks. Nice job!
Thank you, it was great to meet you and your partner as well, and congratulations to you both!
Proud alumnus of Mounds View High School Science Olympiad, Arden Hills, MN
Co-founder of the MIT Science Olympiad Invitational Tournament: http://scioly.mit.edu/
kentuckyfan1001
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: OH

Post by kentuckyfan1001 »

I don't have any particular stories, but meeting a few people from Scioly throughout the weekend was quite fun. I also met quite a few teams (Brookwood, Teeland, Bearden) at King's Island. SO sorta invaded the place.

I would also say that I was very happy that my former middle and high school coaches were able to say the coach's oath, as they are both retiring this year.
-JZ Solon '12, Penn '16
2013 Helicopters PA State Supervisor
silverheart7

Post by silverheart7 »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:I don't have any particular stories, but meeting a few people from Scioly throughout the weekend was quite fun. I also met quite a few teams (Brookwood, Teeland, Bearden) at King's Island. SO sorta invaded the place.

I would also say that I was very happy that my former middle and high school coaches were able to say the coach's oath, as they are both retiring this year.
It was really nice to meet you outside of Sounds of Music!

u287772
Division: B

Post by u287772 »

kentuckyfan1001 wrote:I don't have any particular stories, but meeting a few people from Scioly throughout the weekend was quite fun. I also met quite a few teams (Brookwood, Teeland, Bearden) at King's Island. SO sorta invaded the place.

I like both coaches, especially the high school coach. She was very nice.
Hosj
Division: C
State: MD

Post by Hosj »

My stories aren't so great, but I have a few.

We had a 9-hour bus ride, and the coaches opted for a cheeep bus to save cash (An older charter bus). They later paid the price when the bus broke down somewhere in pennsalvania, and we were all stuck outside for 2 hours until they could get it working for long enough to go to a place where we got lunch and swapped buses. Then, later in the night, at about midnight, everyone started to get stir-crazy and insane, including one girl who was acting as though she were drunk, lying on the ground, and making wierd noises. We finally made it to Ohio at about 2:00 AM, and went to bed about 2:30.

Another girl was making a scioly documentry, describing the journey our team took, both metaphorically, in our minds and hearts, and physically on the way to ohio. The only problem was that she swore to use every second of footage from her I-pad, and people were randomly interrupting her recordings, with meladramatic comments such as "Most of us survived the swap meet... but the real battle is tomorrow!!" And yelling things like "KWAN", an inside joke in our team. She also left out important stuff, like how well we did, and would have forgotten had I not reminded her on the bus the next morning. So this will be one entertaining documentary once completed.

Several members of my team started :shock: booing Solon at the parade of states. :shock:

The day of the competition, the rotor egg drop device flipped over and the egg broke, and was tier-4'ed, the mission possible water tank thingy exploded, showering the contestents and judges quite thoroughly, and we had a mishap with notes in two of my events. (The two I did the best in- go figure)

Right before the award cerermony two people started crying, and everyone on our team felt quite akward, espicially me, as I was one of them. :oops:
Nationals 2013: Meteorology 2nd, Water Quality 7th, Dynamic Planet 28th, Helicopters 41st
Nationals 2014:Hydrogeology 8th, Game On 25th

Return to “2013 Nationals”