Battery Buggy B

SOninja
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Battery Buggy B

Post by SOninja »

umm... my motor kinda looks like that except the stick that protudes is a bit longer.
The gear can stay on but the hole in the middle of the gear doesn't fit the stick well, so the gear can spin if you touch it.
Since the stick on the motor (sorry dunno what to call it) is supposed to spin when the electricity gets to it,
i thought it might be a problem...
2009 States: :D
Crime busters <3 - 1st
*Reach for the Stars* - 1st
Anatomy - 7th

SO forever

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." -Charles Austin Beard
robotman
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by robotman »

yea that would be a problem
you could try three things
1.get a different gear
2.glue the gear that you have to the motor stick
3.get a different motor
Edit the Wiki.
Upload to the Image Gallery
[medals]Get Medals[/medals]
[chat][/chat]
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

robotman09 wrote:the stick on the motor (sorry dunno what to call it)
That "stick" is called the "shaft". Any play/wobble in the gear can cause problems. Besides the obvious probability of slipping on the shaft, it can cause the gears to bind and possibly wear extremely fast. The gear may even come off the shaft at the worst possible moment (Murphy's Law).

If the fit is pretty close, with no visible gap, you might be able to glue the gear on the shaft. If you use superglue (cyano-acrylate), be carefull it doesn't run up/down the shaft into the motor's bearing.

If there is a gap between the gear and the shaft. You will probably need to “shim” the shaft to make it large enough for a tight fit. Here are some ways I’ve tried (with varying success):

Wrap tape around the shaft to make it larger. Start by wrapping the tape around the shaft until it is bigger than the hole in the gear. Next cut off and remove short pieces of tape until you get the fit you want. It’s easier to get the gear on if the tape sticks out slightly beyond the end of the motor shaft. This makes the end tapered slightly.

Use an appropriate size brass tubing to shim up the shaft. Hobby stores stock brass tubing in various sizes that are a slip inside each other. You can use more than one size to add layers until the shaft is the necessary size for the hole in the gear.

I’ve used insulation stripped from electrical wires or plastic/rubber tubing. It may take a while to find a size that works and it’s possible you won’t find one.

Finally, I’ve not had much luck getting any method to work reliably, especially under heavier loads. In fact, many commercial methods for adapting gears to various sized motor shafts don’t work well.

At any rate, as the old, old saying goes: Use that lump on your shoulders for something other than a hat rack! Keep thinking, trying and you will succeed. It’s good to ask for ideas, but only you can make them work on your device.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
SOninja
Division: C

Post by SOninja »

thanks! I am much obliged.
i'll see what i can do...
2009 States: :D
Crime busters <3 - 1st
*Reach for the Stars* - 1st
Anatomy - 7th

SO forever

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." -Charles Austin Beard
blue cobra
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by blue cobra »

I've played a bit with gears on motors, and this is what I did, with success (I never actually put it into place, however, just to note).

First of all, I went to the hardware store to look for a bushing. However, the size I needed doesn't exist. If the size you need does exist, get it. I did find something, sorry I don't know the name, it was kinda like a threaded bushing, and a bit tapered. It fit very snugly into the gear, but the center hole wasn't big enough for the shaft to fit through. I used a drill to enlarge the center hole as straight as possible (it ended up being very slightly tilted). The threads carved a bit into the plastic gear, keeping it in place, and a bit of hot glue kept it on the shaft.

Whatever you do, be precise, and good luck!
In full color since 2006
49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by 49ers »

starpug wrote:
49ers wrote:thanks
so do you think you can get one easy if you don't have one of those remote control cars???
You don't need a prefabricated chasis, you probably can't use one anyway because it's against the rules. You just need a couple of small pieces of wood or metal and some wheels and axles. Then you just have to ad a place to put batteries and a motor or two and a switch and you're good
getting a pre made chais against the rules??
:?: ????
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
ESU Warrior '21
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics; Earth and Space Science major; Math minor.
Get me out of this place *gestures wildly at USA*
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

There are no rules yet, so nobody can say. It was legal for EV.

Return to “2009 Build Events”