Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Building events next year

Post by croman74 »

It was boomi for C and tower for B.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
haven chuck
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: PA

Post by haven chuck »

However on the second year of tower for B, they changed the requirements, so it had to have an angle in the middle of it. They might do something similar for EB, just to keep everyone their feet, but it will probably still be an event, in one form or another
2010 Can't Judge a Powder- NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
2010 Science Crimebusters- 3rd in the NATION
fullofit
Division: C
State: CA

Post by fullofit »

In the end I think that JYC broke down into people simply building devices and figuring out a way to incorporate virtually any myster object into the device without changing anything. Our team could make essentially anything from a paper clip to an old Buick work with either device (actually, make it so the device would not function without the paper clip or Buick), so we were really doing no building at the event (well we had to put some legs on the coin sorter to make it 1 meter high). I also thought that the idea of two devices was just demoralizing to whoever built the one that was not used. Imagine the poor kids who poured hours of time into their scales, just to end up not even using it in competition.

This event needs to have some significant rules changes if it is going to meet it's goal of "out of the box" thinking.
rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by rocketman1555 »

fullofit wrote:In the end I think that JYC broke down into people simply building devices and figuring out a way to incorporate virtually any myster object into the device without changing anything. Our team could make essentially anything from a paper clip to an old Buick work with either device (actually, make it so the device would not function without the paper clip or Buick), so we were really doing no building at the event (well we had to put some legs on the coin sorter to make it 1 meter high). I also thought that the idea of two devices was just demoralizing to whoever built the one that was not used. Imagine the poor kids who poured hours of time into their scales, just to end up not even using it in competition.

This event needs to have some significant rules changes if it is going to meet it's goal of "out of the box" thinking.
They do say that you should be prepared to do both challenges, so why would anyone show up prepared to do only one? Thats just bad planning on their part.
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

rocketman1555 wrote:
fullofit wrote:In the end I think that JYC broke down into people simply building devices and figuring out a way to incorporate virtually any myster object into the device without changing anything. Our team could make essentially anything from a paper clip to an old Buick work with either device (actually, make it so the device would not function without the paper clip or Buick), so we were really doing no building at the event (well we had to put some legs on the coin sorter to make it 1 meter high). I also thought that the idea of two devices was just demoralizing to whoever built the one that was not used. Imagine the poor kids who poured hours of time into their scales, just to end up not even using it in competition.

They do say that you should be prepared to do both challenges, so why would anyone show up prepared to do only one? Thats just bad planning on their part.
I don't think that's what he meant. I think he meant that whatever time you spent on the device that didn't end up being tested was basically wasted. It introduces an additional element of chance, too - a team with a great scale and a lousy sorter could do excellently or horribly, depending on the luck of the draw.

Return to “2009 Build Events”