State: MA

Re: Scrambler Rules

Postby SiegeLord » January 3rd, 2009, 7:40 am

Yes, it was.
[wiki][/wiki] > [wiki][/wiki] > [wiki][/wiki] + [wiki][/wiki] = [wiki][/wiki]
Chat with the Cheese Captains! ~(O o)~

cooltiger
Division: B
Location: Some where on earth, Sure hope its the nationals though.

Postby cooltiger » January 3rd, 2009, 9:34 am

The pics of our launcher are up, here are the links.

1/CIMG7517_2.jpg
1/CIMG7518.jpg
1/CIMG7519.jpg
2010 Western LI Regionals: 1st Place@
Battery Buggy: 3rd Place
Junkyard Challenge: 4th Place
Road Scholar: 2nd Place

2010 NY State: 6th
Battery Buggy: 9
Junkyard Challenge: 5th
Road Scholar: 6th
Car of Tommorow: 11th

A Tang

Postby A Tang » January 3rd, 2009, 1:24 pm

What are you using for wheels? I personally use CD's with rubber bands around the edge.
I used those for my back wheels, had to glue them on with epoxy.

for my front wheels I used a speaker wire spool...I guess some people just have leftover speaker wire spools in their house.

Rubber bands don't really add friction to my wheels (I think the epoxy hardened it), any suggestions?

Any ideas on attaching the axle to the chassis would be helpful; I'm currently using screws that hold the wheel bearings in place, not the best idea.

cryjea
Division: B
State: NY
Location: Apparently a question mark by itself is too short for this slot.

Postby cryjea » January 3rd, 2009, 6:13 pm

For the launcher are you allowed to use nails? Sorry to not answer your question A Tang but I have no idea what you are talking about.
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
-Benjamin Franklin

2010 events:
Bio-process
Science Crime
Wright stuff
Elevated bridge(?)
Junkyard Challenge

Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY

Postby Dark Sabre » January 3rd, 2009, 6:23 pm

What are you using for wheels? I personally use CD's with rubber bands around the edge.
I used those for my back wheels, had to glue them on with epoxy.

for my front wheels I used a speaker wire spool...I guess some people just have leftover speaker wire spools in their house.

Rubber bands don't really add friction to my wheels (I think the epoxy hardened it), any suggestions?

Any ideas on attaching the axle to the chassis would be helpful; I'm currently using screws that hold the wheel bearings in place, not the best idea.
I recommend pressure fitting the bearings, if possible. If it is close enough, you could probably wind some masking tape around them and press them in.
I'll go look for an old post about adding wheel friction...brb.
For the launcher are you allowed to use nails? Sorry to not answer your question A Tang but I have no idea what you are talking about.
Umm...you can't nail it to the floor, but otherwise, yes? What are you wanting to do?

Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Postby Dark Sabre » January 3rd, 2009, 6:30 pm

Liquid rubber, there is such a thing easily available at Lowes/Home Depot, yes.

I have used it to coat tool handles, but I don't know what it was originally intended for. I also don't recall the product name or anything useful like that.

I tried coating my CD wheels last year two different ways:

A: I took my CD wheels, hooked them up to a slow motor so all 4 were on an axle together, and put the very edges in a trough of the liquid rubber stuff. I let it run for a while, then took it out and let it run over a paper towel while it dried.

A's Result: Even with the turning during the drying process, the rubber formed bumps and globs. The wheels no longer rolled smoothly and were also kind stick on hardwood and tile floors.

B: I grabbed a foam brush and very lightly coated the rim of the CDs, hoping to eliminate the bumps.

B's Result: The wheels had more grip, but were still kinda sticky and degraded performance.

I don't know if other people have been more successful, but this didn't work for me last year.

Why did you make your own wheels? What did you make them out of?
My friend did that last year, and for his CD wheel coat, he used rubber.

He bought a powder from Homedepot, added water, and make a CAST around his wheel, but the there was catch! since the cast wasnt perfect, he had to machine the rubber to fix it up and make the edges perfectly straight :)
Might be worth a try for you. It isn't like CDs cost anything and the rubber stuff is pretty cheap too.

ChrisYim
Division: C
State: IL

Postby ChrisYim » January 4th, 2009, 9:14 am

Sorry i wasn't on for a pretty-but-not-too-long-time. To answer croman74's question, im using Cd wheels. but.......I'm confused about the rubber band around the wheels. i've heard that it doesn't work too good, and it works good. could anyone tell me if it works good or not?

bob3443

Postby bob3443 » January 4th, 2009, 9:23 am

Well i guess it's what you're comparing it to. compared to regular CD's, they are much better. There probably is some other wheel out there that are better than CD's with rubber bands, i'm using cd's with rubber bands. only bad thing is that the cd cracks once in a while and that the rubber band comes off if you don't use enough glue, but if you use to much then its not rubber anymore.

croman74
Division: C
State: MI

Postby croman74 » January 4th, 2009, 11:06 am

For me they work pretty well. I haven't used any other type of wheel so I don't know if there is a better wheel. To make sure I don't use too much glue I use a glue with a brush http://www.euroffice.co.uk/_image/item/ ... 227X_0.jpg It spreads it out nicely.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

binary010101
State: PA

Postby binary010101 » January 7th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Rubber bands are pretty good for friction. I used K'nex "cog" wheels with a thick rubber band stuck around them.
Image ...NOT Communist.

Dual-Booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

THE GAME.

"Mentat, solve thyself." ~ Dune
I follow the Path of the Beam.

Return to “2009 Build Events”