Scrambler B

croman74
Division: C
State: MI

Re: Scrambler

Post by croman74 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:44 pm

Yeah I just figured out that the weights is had were about 200 grams under-weight. But even afer adding more weights it still only gose about 12m.
Anyway what sort of lubricant should i use to reduce friction on the axels?
i don't know about lubricants, but did you try ball bearings? Those should help a bit.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

bob3443

Post by bob3443 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:48 pm

croman74 wrote:
Dark Sabre wrote:
croman74 wrote:Or you can attach a laser pointer to the scrambler and aim for the center of the wall.
Wouldn't your scrambler be using electronics then?
true, didn't think of that
maybe someone should ask if we can use laser pointers, because the trajectory people can.

croman74

Post by croman74 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:50 pm

maybe someone should ask if we can use laser pointers, because the trajectory people can.
That's where i got the idea from. My partner in trajectory last year was thinking about using one.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre » February 3rd, 2009, 5:15 pm

croman74 wrote:
That's where i got the idea from. My partner in trajectory last year was thinking about using one.
Is there something in the Trajectory rules that says you can't use electronics? I didn't see anything about electronics or aligning devices or anything.

For Scrambler, the rules say that
1. The Scrambler cannot contain any electrical devices
2. Any sighting/aligning devices have to remain attached to the egg transport or propulsion system during the run
3. The Scrambler consists of an egg transport and propulsion system

So the aligning device, no matter where it is attached, is part of the Scrambler, which cannot contain electrical devices. Seems pretty straight forward.
Friedoyster3 wrote:Yeah I just figured out that the weights is had were about 200 grams under-weight. But even afer adding more weights it still only gose about 12m.
Depends on what your axles are made of, since some lubricants could break down plastics.
If you can't use ball bearings or bushings or something like that, you could try powdered graphite-based lubricants.
If you are using plastic wheels or axles, you want to be careful about using some petroleum-based lubricants.

captbilly

Post by captbilly » February 3rd, 2009, 8:59 pm

croman74 wrote:
Scrambler cannot use anything electric so that quite clearly prohibits a laser pointer.

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav » February 4th, 2009, 2:27 am

Dark Sabre wrote:
croman74 wrote:
Is there something in the Trajectory rules that says you can't use electronics? I didn't see anything about electronics or aligning devices or anything.

For Scrambler, the rules say that
1. The Scrambler cannot contain any electrical devices
2. Any sighting/aligning devices have to remain attached to the egg transport or propulsion system during the run
3. The Scrambler consists of an egg transport and propulsion system

So the aligning device, no matter where it is attached, is part of the Scrambler, which cannot contain electrical devices. Seems pretty straight forward.
Friedoyster3 wrote:Yeah I just figured out that the weights is had were about 200 grams under-weight. But even afer adding more weights it still only gose about 12m.
Depends on what your axles are made of, since some lubricants could break down plastics.
If you can't use ball bearings or bushings or something like that, you could try powdered graphite-based lubricants.
If you are using plastic wheels or axles, you want to be careful about using some petroleum-based lubricants.
I think silicone-based lubricants are okay for most plastics, but you should test to be sure.

Iza033
Division: B

Scrambler

Post by Iza033 » February 4th, 2009, 7:20 pm

Last year, me and my partner took second at state, and fourth in the nation. we used a pushrod system, but we ore considering switching to a pully system for the launch. What do you all think we should do?

Iza033

Scrambler....Again

Post by Iza033 » February 4th, 2009, 7:24 pm

ok, to go along with my last Question, what are the pros and cons to a pulley system rather than a pushrod system?

croman74

Re: Scrambler....Again

Post by croman74 » February 5th, 2009, 12:11 pm

Iza033 wrote:ok, to go along with my last Question, what are the pros and cons to a pulley system rather than a pushrod system?
Take a look at the wiki: http://scioly.org/wiki/Scrambler#Pulley_Launcher
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st

cryjea
State: NY
Location: Apparently a question mark by itself is too short for this slot.

Post by cryjea » February 5th, 2009, 5:20 pm

i'm using a pulley system, it is very easy to use. but my car doesn't go very far, however it could be that i'm still changing some things on it.
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."
-Benjamin Franklin

2010 events:
Bio-process
Science Crime
Wright stuff
Elevated bridge(?)
Junkyard Challenge

Return to “2009 Build Events”