Scrambler B

danger will robinson
Division: B
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by danger will robinson »

really? they didn't dq that team? that's really against the rules! oh well though.
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

Fuzzy Mint wrote:wow, i had a nightmare a couple of days ago about going to the scioly state competition, and our egg touching the wall and getting disqualified and then having issues with something about eggs and jam, and then i was late to my next event. :shock: it was just really.....wow, stupid and sad all at the same time.
touching the wall? thats just kinda annoying and such a hassle, and at our regionals competition apparently they didn't even enforce it because the team that got 1st's car touched the wall and they did the old rub-the-egg-on-a-paper-towel thingy. But i do like the center rule, it seems a ton more accurate.
Obviously don't know the circumstances here, but...

Egg touching the wall only results in a run penalty. Their other run, if they had one, could easily still could have gotten them first.
And the rules still have you do the "old rub-the-egg-on-a-paper-towel thingy" whenever the egg might have cracked, so that's good that the judges did that.
danger will robinson wrote:really? they didn't dq that team? that's really against the rules! oh well though.
It would have been against the rules to DQ them.
danger will robinson
State: CA

Post by danger will robinson »

Dark Sabre wrote:
danger will robinson wrote:really? they didn't dq that team? that's really against the rules! oh well though.
It would have been against the rules to DQ them.
I'm sorry. I didn't mean to mislead anybody. :oops:
Science Olympiad is a tribute to Murphey's Law. This has been proven experimentally.
And no, I'm not a guy...even though my sig says will robsinson. It's a reference to Lost in Space, an ancient sci fi TV show. And the robot is the character who always says the line.
ChrisYim
Division: C
State: IL

Post by ChrisYim »

Ok, I'm back!!! Anyways, I'm really confused about the egg mount part. When it says Both ends of the egg must be exposed to the view of the judges does that mean we can't have a back part? I found this picture on the internet, but is it accurate? (I think it is, but I'm not sure)
http://www.sciencenc.com/Tournament_inf ... 20copy.jpg
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

I found this picture on the internet, but is it accurate? (I think it is, but I'm not sure)
http://www.sciencenc.com/Tournament_inf ... 20copy.jpg
The simple answer is: Who knows? The interpretation of this particular paragraph has been really $/*)%#*^%. Confusion appears to stem from a statement put out at the national level early on and later retracted!

The information at the link you gave appears to be incorrect under the current interpretation.

1. The rules do not mention a "backstop".
2. The dimensions apply to the "egg mount" (Para. 3.c.)
3. The egg will be secured to the egg mount with tape (Para. 3.d., Sentence 2)
4. Tape pay not be placed on the front or rear 2cm of the egg (Para. 3.d., sentence 3)
5. Both ends of the egg must be exposed to view (Para. 3.d., sentence 4)

In my mind there no possible way to make the arrangement in the referenced drawing comply with these requirements.

This is a case where you really MUST contact the organizers of your tournament to see what page they are on!

Here is the complete text associated with the referenced drawing on the North Caroline Website:
Rule 3. c. should read as follows: The egg transport must have a rigidly attached egg mount with a vertical backstop that is rigid and unpadded with a flat surface at least 5.0 cm x 5.0 cm and at least 1.5 cm thick. The horizontal portion of the egg mount which the egg rests upon must be rigid and unpadded, but no minimum dimensions are given so long as it meets requirements of rule 3.d.

**exception to rule 3.c. If a team wishes to be nationally competitive, they will not be penalized in NC for removing the backstop. In this case, the dimensions given will apply to the horizontal portion of the egg mount.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
croman74
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

My interpretation is that you don't need a backstop, but if you want one, the egg can't be touching the backstop. That way it's completely exposed.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
bob3443

Post by bob3443 »

i was pretty sure that the egg could only be teaching the tape and the horizontal egg mount. it couldn't be touching a vertical backstop, but some how at regionals almost everyone had a backstop, and the egg was touching it. they also were allowed to put tape from the middle of the egg to the backstop, going horizontal but the tape wasn't touching the back 2cm of the egg.
aviator_avery

Post by aviator_avery »

My team had the same exact problem almost evry team had a backstop except ours and a few others but the judges at my competition didnt penalize at all in fact we were the only team who met all regulations and they gave us 2nd in placement and 3rd in medals.
*peaches*and*grits*yall*
fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

YOU DONT NEED A BACKSTOP ITS ON THE NATIONAL WEBSITE
croman74
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

fmtiger124 wrote:YOU DONT NEED A BACKSTOP ITS ON THE NATIONAL WEBSITE
We know that you don't need one, but people are wondering if you are allowed to have one.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

Return to “2009 Build Events”