Scrambler B

bob3443
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scrambler B

Post by bob3443 »

Dark Sabre wrote:I cruised around the impound area (didn't touch anything!) and have some pictures for people...

Image Gallery
...why would people use a ramp design... and like 5 people too...
croman74
Division: C
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

I saw one at my regionals too. Can't they read the rules? It clearly says all wheels must touch the ground.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
croman74
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

I got 21st at my states yesterday. I was 77cm to the left of the center. On the second run the egg broke.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
fmtiger124
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

you beat me lol 38th!!!!!!
somehow a piece of tape broke an egg so we didn't even get to run
fmtiger124
State: NY

Post by fmtiger124 »

anyone know the winning score/design from nats?
MontyBuilder
Division: B
State: NJ

Post by MontyBuilder »

my scrambler's name was betsy
after competition we searched and searched for her
but could not find her

then when we came into the college gym...
there she was...
snapped in half...
the wheel still spinning...

i know that scrambler is not an event next year...
but nobody will humiliate betsy and me

i will redeem myself
i will fight
i will avenge the name of betsy

im hungry
One Team
One Dream
Whipped Cream
bob3443

Post by bob3443 »

so once again does anyone have the distance, scores(times and distance)
bob3443

Post by bob3443 »

so after waiting for... 2 days with no one responding... i have the urge to ask this again. does anyone know ANYTHING about scrambler at nationals?
fullofit
State: CA

Post by fullofit »

bob3443 wrote:so after waiting for... 2 days with no one responding... i have the urge to ask this again. does anyone know ANYTHING about scrambler at nationals?
All I know is that both Scambler and EV were run on a very rough wood floor, with the track parallel to the boards (in violation of the rules). For those who built vehicles with wide wheels it was not much of an issue but for teams who used CDs or hard drive platters it was a disaster. The thin wheel would get caught in a groove and force the vehicle off course. Many people argue that since all the teams had the same issues to deal with it's all a wash but that is simply not true. A team has a right to believe that the event will be run according to the rules. If the rules stated that the scamblers and EVs could be run in the grass or on a paved road, or on a track with large gaps between the boards running parallel to the track, then teams would have built their vehicles to accomodate that, but when you are told in the rules that the track will be a smooth level surface, you build for that specification. We practiced on linoleum, wood gym floors (smooth urethane) and smooth tile, we didn't practice on a floor with grooves that would catch the wheels.

I am afraid that I do not know the scores, I spoke to one team (who just missed medalling) that had a run time of about 3 seconds and a distance/aim error of about 5 cm. That would make it necessary to have done better than 11 to medal, but that is just a rough estimate.
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

fullofit wrote:
bob3443 wrote:so after waiting for... 2 days with no one responding... i have the urge to ask this again. does anyone know ANYTHING about scrambler at nationals?
All I know is that both Scambler and EV were run on a very rough wood floor, with the track parallel to the boards (in violation of the rules). For those who built vehicles with wide wheels it was not much of an issue but for teams who used CDs or hard drive platters it was a disaster. The thin wheel would get caught in a groove and force the vehicle off course. Many people argue that since all the teams had the same issues to deal with it's all a wash but that is simply not true. A team has a right to believe that the event will be run according to the rules. If the rules stated that the scamblers and EVs could be run in the grass or on a paved road, or on a track with large gaps between the boards running parallel to the track, then teams would have built their vehicles to accomodate that, but when you are told in the rules that the track will be a smooth level surface, you build for that specification. We practiced on linoleum, wood gym floors (smooth urethane) and smooth tile, we didn't practice on a floor with grooves that would catch the wheels.

I am afraid that I do not know the scores, I spoke to one team (who just missed medalling) that had a run time of about 3 seconds and a distance/aim error of about 5 cm. That would make it necessary to have done better than 11 to medal, but that is just a rough estimate.
I looked through the rules and didn't see anything about which direction the track had to be in respect to the direction of the floorboards. Could you point out the Section and Letter?

All I see is that in 2)e. it gives tile as an example of a legitimate surface and they appeared to be running the event on square tiles:
1473|1/Scrambler_2009NSO (32).jpg

So...
Looks like a tile floor, not wood.
Can't run the wrong way on square tile floor.
Don't see anything in the rules about direction of the track (please correct me here, if I'm mistaken), not that I see how it would matter on square tiles.
I can't speak to the condition of the tiles, but I imagine it was "relatively smooth"

Return to “2009 Build Events”