Electric Vehicle C

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Electric Vehicle C 2009

Post by andrewwski »

Glad to see they cleared up the wording on the batteries/energy used for non-propulsion tasks.

I've got my EV almost finished...just got to tweak it to go straight.
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

dont bother... i spent forever trying to make mine go straight.. in the end, i just practiced with it the way it was and still won
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

I got it to go straight enough last year...I'll at least get it that straight this year.

Right now it's so off that it won't stay on the line. As long as it's straight enough to get the center line bonus I'm not concerned though.
sean9keenan
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by sean9keenan »

Wow, almost done the car! I haven't even started my car for this year... In fact one of the things that the smaller frame is going to do is make it harder to go straight...

:(

Just make sure it goes straight enough to get the center line bonus... that's the most important ;-)
SoCal Event Supervisor. H2S2O for ever. Competed in Builds & Physics events
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Yup...I just barely made that bonus at regionals last year, but I got it.

My wheelbase is also less than 20 cm...maybe I should make that wider. That would definitely help. But I'm going to monkey with what I have now and see if I can get it to go straight enough.
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

nevermind
captbilly

Post by captbilly »

andrewwski wrote:Yup...I just barely made that bonus at regionals last year, but I got it.

My wheelbase is also less than 20 cm...maybe I should make that wider. That would definitely help. But I'm going to monkey with what I have now and see if I can get it to go straight enough.
Do you mean wheel track, the wheel base must be at least 28cm. If you are having trouble keeping the tape between the wheels you are not going to get a very good finish line score. That would mean you would lose the 10 points for the center line and at least that many points from the finish line score (well I guess not if the vehicle returned to the center at the end). Based on what I have seen in wheeled vehicle and Electric vehicle at Nationals it will take something over 195 to medal. Losing just the 10 points for centerline would probably be enough to put you out of the running for a medal.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

That's what I mean, yes.

I'll get it to go straight. It's not that hard...it's just a tad time consuming, and I haven't had much time lately. But I've still got 5 months until competition...I'll be fine.

It went straight last year and I basically did the same thing again this year...last year took me a few hours to get it straight though.
seth959ci

Post by seth959ci »

speaking of making the car go straight, what do you guys use to keep the axles from sliding left and right? thanks for any help!
when the fear of crashing is greater than the thrill of speed,BRAKE!
mooble117

Post by mooble117 »

seth959ci wrote:speaking of making the car go straight, what do you guys use to keep the axles from sliding left and right? thanks for any help!
Superglue and ball bearings.

Return to “2009 Build Events”