Electric Vehicle C

ahage16
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric Vehicle C

Post by ahage16 »

Thanks for everything on the last page gh! I really wish we had a computer science class at our school, or at least someone who knew about this kind of stuff! I've been pretty much trying to work this for the past year with nothing but google, which hasn't worked out too well. All I know for sure is that I am abandoning propeller because that hasn't worked at all for me. I guess this is what summer is for!
rman

Post by rman »

I'll keep this simple. Has anyone come up with an explaination for the fact that most vehicles can't repeatedly go to the same aim point? We have great sights, nice bearings and wheels that are straight and true, nice bearings, no slop or wiggle, stiff chassis, etc., but the vehicle will do as much as several cm left and right between test sessions on different tracks. On a single session on a single track the variation is only mm, but when testing on different days on different tracks the aim point seems to mysteriously move. I hate wasting one of my two runs just to find out the peculiarities of that track, but maybe there is no way to go to the exact same point on different tracks?
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by fleet130 »

I believe the interface between the wheels and the track surface has a lot to do with this. Hard skinny tires don't perform as well in this respect as wider softer ones. Solutions to these problems are usually a "best compromise" after considering several other factors (such as rolling resistance).
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

Had my states today. My EV was 2cm from the center of the target on the first run and 3cm away the second run (distance from the center of the target to the tip of the pointer). I don't know my time score yet but I think that's what caused me to get the 5th. Other teams' distance scores were about the same as mine, all within that 2cm radius range so either it was down to that last mm, or time (or both).
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Yeah their device was pretty awesome
Last edited by starpug on April 20th, 2009, 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Untitled
State: CA

Post by Untitled »

Well I was at Norcal with kube and star. Managed to pull off a 2nd place at states. My ev was off my 2cm and my time was about 0.2 seconds off from the predicted. I'm using a mechanical braking system so I did qualify for the 30% score adjustment.
UC Berkeley ChemE 2014
rman

Post by rman »

starpug wrote:Well here are some pics of the NorCal winning EV.
1057|41/IMG_6431.jpg
1020|41/a2j_IMG_0202.jpg
and a vid of their run
http://gallery.scioly.org/details.php?image_id=1065
Starpug, did you ask permission from the coach or the competitors, to post a picture of their vehicle on this forum? This team has gone to Nationls every year for the past 5 years, and the kids building the vehicle have won numerous medals at nationals with a reputation for some pretty inovative ideas. It kind of sucks that you would post pictures of their work 4 weeks before Nationals. Posting pictures of other peoples work without permission is one of the reasons that some competitions have had to make picture taking illegal at competitions.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

The video is mine. I didn't think it was harmful to show a video. While everyone was taking pictures, doubt you can imitate their work in 4 weeks :|. I mean they did such an incredible job. :)

I also understand the feeling of being copied, I mean our device from Trajectory last year was so blatantly stolen by Franklin :P and half of sac regional :P. They couldn't pull it off though most of the designs that copied ours didn't do so well, except for franklin's which did pretty good.
Last edited by starpug on April 20th, 2009, 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
rman

Post by rman »

starpug I just noticed that you are say you are a member of the Mira Loma B team, what were you thinking posting pictures of your own A team's EV, before Nationals?
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Take it to PM's guys.

Return to “2009 Build Events”