Yes, please enlighten me as well.
fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Electric Vehicle C

Post by fleet130 »

fullofit wrote:Perhaps next time these events are run the coordinator can take the track surface into account.
This is a tournament specific issue and you really need to contact the organizers of the tournament where it happened. There is nothing anyone else can do about it.

On the other hand, if you know a design solution to avoid the problem, you might want to incorporate it into your vehicle just to be sure you aren't blindsided again.

On yet another hand, I didn't find that in the rules either.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!
MarianasTrench
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by MarianasTrench »

Hi. I'm kinda new to this entire electric vehicle building thing, so I just have a quick question. How do you hook up the engine to the battery and the microprocessor? Do you use wiring, and solder it or something?
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by andrewwski »

Well, that would be a common method. I can't think of any way you'd connect components without wires.
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

MarianasTrench wrote:Hi. I'm kinda new to this entire electric vehicle building thing, so I just have a quick question. How do you hook up the engine to the battery and the microprocessor? Do you use wiring, and solder it or something?
Yep, wires are a good idea. If you don't want to solder or you think you might be changing your wiring a lot then you can try using a breadboard. It requires no soldering and you can change around the wiring as much as you want.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

I definitely recommend starting with a breadboard. When I made my first EV, I soldered everything down to a board, and then when things didn't want to work or I wanted to make changes, I had to go through the tedious process of carefully desoldering and resoldering the connections.

I'd recommend building on a breadboard first, then once you've got it how you want, solder it to a board. Or you can just leave it on the breadboard - just be sure nothing comes loose.

Return to “2009 Build Events”