Wind Power Div. C

vofbassist
Division: Grad
State: WI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wind Power Div. C

Post by vofbassist »

Grace wrote: They use a voltmeter. You have to create a windmill that can produce the most power at a strong and gentle breeze. I'd give some hints but seeing that we'll be competing with Boyceville, WI in 3 weeks... ;)

I'll provide some hints in the near future, though.
Which team are you from? I have the results up on my computer and Mounds Veiw A got 812 between their strong and thier gentile breeze. Our team didn't do very well, but we didn't practice very much.

Edit: Sorry, teams. All three of them did bad. From highest to lowest it went: C, B, A.
Grace
Division: C

Post by Grace »

vofbassist wrote:
Grace wrote: They use a voltmeter. You have to create a windmill that can produce the most power at a strong and gentle breeze. I'd give some hints but seeing that we'll be competing with Boyceville, WI in 3 weeks... ;)

I'll provide some hints in the near future, though.
Which team are you from? I have the results up on my computer and Mounds Veiw A got 812 between their strong and thier gentile breeze. Our team didn't do very well, but we didn't practice very much.

Edit: Sorry, teams. All three of them did bad. From highest to lowest it went: C, B, A.
Yes, I'm from Mounds View B. I was the event leader for our three teams because I was the only one who had experience at Nationals this year. Surprisingly, I taught my team mates quite well. They took first and third where I took fourth... I was hoping my partner didn't cut up the manila folder but it was too late. :(

Manila alone works very well for wind power. It is strong enough to withstand the power of the wind so that it does not hit the stake compared to the plain paper. When it hits the stake, it slows down the speed of the fan. Also, I found out that placement of tape varied with the speed of the fan. It can be something to play around with. And, we folded curves so that it can catch more wind. We found that it increased the speed significantly.

We won't be seeing Wind Power again in Minnesota. It was a really fun event. :)
Mounds View High School & Captain - Minnesota
2009 Events: Health Science, Physics Lab, Disease Detectives, Wind Power, Elevated Bridge, Picture This, Protein Modeling, Write It Do It
Too many events...

Regionals 1st Place - Elevated Bridge
Invitationals 2nd Place - Elevated Bridge
Grace

Post by Grace »

And initially, our goal was to reach 400. At Nationals, we got around the late 300's and made it to 10th place. A score of 812 from one of our team members was outstanding. I should have went with my instincts, but experimented with plain paper first... You don't even need the plain paper.
2009 Events: Health Science, Physics Lab, Disease Detectives, Wind Power, Elevated Bridge, Picture This, Protein Modeling, Write It Do It
Too many events...

vofbassist
Division: Grad
State: WI

Post by vofbassist »

Could we get some ideas for the shape of the fan? Right now we're working on a cone shaped one. It looks kinda like a drill.
Grace

Post by Grace »

4 blade pin wheels seem to work very well. That's what all of our three teams used. By not cutting the blades separately, the fan seems to work efficiently. So try to keep your blade design intact. I'm not sure what a cone shaped fan would look like...
Too many events...

saturnian

Post by saturnian »

vofbassist wrote:wow...I was looking for a number I could punch into a calculator, but thanks for the equations. now I'm going to contemplate the answer to life. contact me in the next millenium...
That answer is easy: 42 :)

But I've been looking at blade designs and it seems that for fan power the airfoils and curves are not significant. Any thoughts?

Return to “2009 Build Events”