Next Year's Junkyard Challenge

Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Re: Next Year's Junkyard Challenge

Post by Flavorflav »

I remember the last time Mission ran at the B level in our region, eight out of about 45 teams entered. You are allowed to drop four events, and everyone dropped mission. I love it, but it takes much longer to produce than virtually any other event, as Delta Hat said.

To get back to your original question, DH, I would make the B Junkyard challenge comparatively simple if I were you, more like the old boat challenge than the coin sorter (which was fine for C, but a bit much for B). Personally, I thought that the preparation for two different challenges was the best part of this event, and they gutted that this year by announcing which challenge would run at regionals and (in NY) at states. I would suggest two simple but quite different challenges, such as a tower and a ball launcher or a clock, and leave them both in for regionals and states. Also, I think you need to simplify the scoring - the NY state supervisors were apparently totally unable to understand the formula. It would be also be helpful if you would make in clear in the rules whether or not tape is considered a form of glue. Lastly, I would either do away with or place limits on the Mystery Material, although with a simpler challenge the importance of that diminishes a bit.
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Post by nejanimb »

I thought Mission Possible was an awesome event. It required so much creativity and hard work - no two teams, it always seemed, would ever bring the same device. I was never part of the mission team with my B division team, but I worked closely with those that were, and the stuff they were doing was so fun. It was also a great event because it was an event that you had to work for. True, several of the top teams could get near-perfect scores, but in order to do that they had to put so much work into it. This just makes tiebreakers all the more important. It was hard, but it separated teams well. Perhaps lower barriers to entry (It has to be possible to build a legal device that can complete the challenge in tier 1 in under 5 hours, I think) would be good, but it's important that any Olympiad event rewards good teams.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

I remember when mission was an event. The kid who did it spent every living moment trying to improve it. It took over his life for 6 months. It was amazing but 6 months! That's alot of time.
SO stressed!
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

I guess I should mention a JYC idea or two before I rant on non-participation in building events and Mission...

Shouldn't require any robotics to work.

I like the challenge of measuring some quantity with homebuilt equipment, but am not sure where you could take it beyond mass and temperature.
  • Measuring the pressure of a basketball without a commercial gauge or a manometer
    Measure the CFM of an air (120mm computer fan) or water flow (1/4" tubing and a 12V pump) - both would be hard for an event sup to measure himself with complete accuracy without equipment :?
    Measure the efficiency of a motor/pump/other system
    Determine the mass of a [ball bearing/marble/plastic ball/other sphere] kinetically (no scales/balances/volume displacement and no electronics)
Not sure where to take the mystery material...the people I talked to were terrified by it at first, but once they figured out how to easily mitigate it, they were able to ignore it. If you specify what exactly the MM could be, you would have to do something to make using it harder. If you don't specify what it could be, I don't know how you would make it harder. I guess one possibility would be to make the mystery material hard and optional...like one of the upper mission bonuses...ideally keep teams from simply using it structurally or otherwise mitigating it.
Not terribly surprisingly, I'm pro-Mission C just because I have such fond memories of it.
The ability of teams to make entry-level Missions is always brought up, but I don't have much sympathy for teams that don't try events.
Like for Mission the only materials you needed to recieve 60% of the base points:
  • A toaster (from goodwill for $5?)
    6 light switches ($6?)
    a ball of natural string (probably own)
    a roll of fishing line (probably own)
That's all you need to get 3 mechanical transfers, 3 chemical transfers, 3 heat transfers, and 3 electrical transfers. The task itself was usually quite simple too.
EMS was always a little harder for entry level teams, since there isn't a way to do it without some very basic knowledge of like a photodetector circuit.
The bonuses just let teams differentiate themsevles, they were not required, so didn't prevent people from competing.

If you didn't do any EMS or bonuses, you should have been able to score 540/890 on the last year of MPC for under $20.

It is the same deal with Scrambler or EV, an entry level vehicle can get a lot of points. It won't medal in most regionals, but you also can build and test in a single weekend.

At one of the regionals I judged, less than half the teams entered a scrambler. Of the competitors, there was only one who had no construction or run penalties...so they won. The base level for competing in any of the building events is pretty easy and cheap. I don't understand why people don't enter qualified, working devices :( but I also don't know why everyone wouldn't love mission unconditionally.

Yeah, I got stung by the 'tie for first at nationals' part, but I can't really complain since I have yet to come up with a tiebreaker I thought was unarguably better. :?
I'd like to see Mission come back as what it was, but I guess that's unlikely to happen. But unless it really, really isn't Mission, I'll have an excuse to go help at Nats :D
croman74
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

That's really stupid that other teams didn't enter a vehicle. It's not that hard to make. Had a couple of teams entered devices that could go at least have the track that didn't have any violations/penalties, they could've done pretty well.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

box with markers shoved into it?
SO stressed!
maggymay

Post by maggymay »

DeltaHat wrote:I've got to come up with ideas for what next years challenges for Junkyard will be. Do you have anything you think could make an interesting and challengeing challenge?
How about...
Every competitor-team had to come to events with the exact same items (and truly un-assembled) and invent something from a list of possible devices at the event
(I know, probably too hard to police or something, but it would be awesome to see what different things people come up with when they start with exactly the same items.)

Have a pre-published list of mystery objects available, especially if JyC is only a Div B event for next season
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by nejanimb »

This last one sounds pretty much like Mystery Architecture. Very cool event... but also very hard to prepare for.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
DeltaHat

Post by DeltaHat »

I don't fully understand why there isn't room in SO for both mission and JYC. There are extremely different events, focusing on very different engineering skills. For some reason, some people insist on seeing them as mutually exclusive.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible
vofbassist
State: WI

Post by vofbassist »

That would be cool to have both. Along with bringing Robot Ramble back so I can have a chance at redeaming myself.

Return to “2009 Build Events”