Wright Stuff B

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff B

Post by andrewwski » April 23rd, 2009, 2:06 pm

Ray Harlan has a good writeup on that somewhere (might be on SO site). You can build a simple pitch gauge out of cardboard. Then heat it very gently over a candle (so as not to warp the blades) and use two pairs of long-nosed pliers to twist.

chia
State: IL
Been thanked: 0

Post by chia » April 23rd, 2009, 4:59 pm

jander14indoor wrote:That rubber should do 1500 turns or more. And if you wind to that and back off enough you can stay out of the rafters and still have way more than 900 turns. But to do that consistently you need to wind to torque, not turns.

In the mean time, you can simulate by winding past say 1500 and backing off to 1200 and see if you stay out of the ceiling, but fly longer.

Or carefully repitch the prop slightly higher. Or depitch your larger prop a little.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI
unfortunately, now there REALLY isn't any time for trying to do anything with torque or pitching. i wound a 1.40 (including o-ring) gram loop to breaking point, which was about 1550 winds. for the competition, i'm going to try to wind to 1400 or so, then back off about 100 winds. the ceiling isn't so much of a problem, though. also, i've made a propeller that is very slightly bigger than the one i've been testing with, maybe that will help. i have two hours to test at the U of I site the day before.

thanks to everybody for your help, by the way. :D this site is really great.
(avatar is by xamag)
Favorite events: Anatomy, Microbe Mission, Ornithology, Circuit Lab, Helicopter
NCHS '13
==>

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 » April 23rd, 2009, 5:01 pm

make sure all the specs are legal and don't break your plane on the day of the competition. I speak, of course, from experience.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

kjhsscioly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by kjhsscioly » April 23rd, 2009, 5:03 pm

we have learned from our last competition, where our only good plane broke. We made three wings that work well, and packed full materials to make another good pair if the need arises 8-)

Allirog24
Division: B

Post by Allirog24 » April 25th, 2009, 10:27 am

What times is everyone getting?
~Allirog

chia

Post by chia » April 25th, 2009, 8:10 pm

ugh, we did HORRIBLE at states. i think we flogged the plane the day before. our actual time was a grand total of 1:03. :evil: :evil:
i don't know how it failed like that, the day before we trimmed it so that it would fly 2:30, then recorded the settings and placed it into the box like that, and it just wouldn't fly right. same for our other plane.
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>

jacdad

Post by jacdad » April 26th, 2009, 5:55 am

Sorry to hear that chia. A similar thing happened to my oldest son 4 years ago at states. His plane flew 2min+ in morning practice, then it would not climb on his official flights. He got 4th with 1.40, but the plane could do much better. I don't think it got more than 15 ft. off the floor. I think his practice flight time would have taken 2nd. Congrats on getting the 2.30 in practice though. However frustrated you are, that is an accomplishment compared to what you were flying before. How did your other events go? Is your team going to Nationals?

chia

Post by chia » April 26th, 2009, 8:11 am

and the worst part is that it was the ARMORY. two or three kids (in practice flights, anyway) were getting all the way up to the ceiling with times of 3:30! we were getting creamed anyway even in practice! i've flown better than my official times in my ventilated multipurpose room! :evil:

my other events are in my sig now, but we only got 4th place total as a team. only top two go to states (and those top two were, of course, mary murphy and south). we did better than expected, though; before, we were predicting 6th. i think it's because our team is mostly 7th graders.
(avatar is by xamag)
NCHS '13
==>

scigeek95
Division: B

Post by scigeek95 » April 26th, 2009, 6:12 pm

Was anyone there at Texas state? Our plane was flying roughly 2 minutes or around it, and then we get there and the air conditioner is on! Our first flight stunk, only about 25 seconds... On our second flight, the plane bounced up and wnet about 1:25. The proctor counted it! My teammate and I even won 1st!
Events:
Pentathlon-5
PSL
Fossils
Road Scholars-5
Wright Stuff- # 1 at State!
Disease Detectives-8

Patmaster
Division: C

Post by Patmaster » April 26th, 2009, 8:40 pm

There were two girls at New York City Regionals who flew a 3:23 with the plane flying clockwise.

It didn't look like the wing was 40cm, and they covered it with Japanese tissue.
Ikara propeller, I could guess around .93 rubber.

Return to “2009 Build Events”