Wright Stuff B

Iceman
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Wright Stuff B

Post by Iceman » May 4th, 2009, 6:34 am

Rolled motor sticks were a love of mine because of advantages it brings to WS. When I started flying AMA copters the surprise was oddly enough how little rubber was needed compared to other classes. As you lower weight rule the motor will decrease even more requiring a shorter motor stick. At Ohio they all placed their motor hook longer than optimal with length motors used and amount of rubber was probably excessive. An enormous amount of weight will be saved from minimal length of motor stick needed. The CG problems will be lessened some although it will hang around in this event. The need for tube depends on what all is changed. They likely don’t need a tube with current rotors until some place above a gram total weight without rubber.

Larger rotors would decrease the washing out but less rubber would do same. Increasing rotor diameter will increase difficulty of getting to weight. For rule designer and contestants it would be clearer to make one change at a time. It is an easy trap to see couple problems correct both at same time then be lost figuring out the effects of both.

A built up blade isn’t all that hard with this event being the place for it. Assuming it is desired that solid blades can be used while getting to weight the need to convert to built up is likely under two grams. My two heavy S.O. copters built six years a go had solid blades, solid motor stick and were two and half grams. This is cool event where you can get about same time in a hall way as hundred foot site.
Doug Schaefer
Northmont
Ohio

jacdad

Post by jacdad » May 4th, 2009, 7:20 am

The Helicopter event sounds like it would be a much better alternative to Egg-O-Naut. BLG moving to C would be sweet too. That is assuming that WS will not be coming back to C anytime soon. Our High School coach is very interested in the Helicopter, and would appreciate any info needed to run a trial event at Regionals and States.

As far as WS B, any idea how the rules will change for next year? I would guess there will be a wing cord limit, and hopefully a little bigger stab.

For teams looking to get somewhat competitive, many kits are available to get you there. Just be sure they meet the specs for next year so you don't get 2nd tiered. I really think wing type is secondary to good construction. Level wings with tip plates, tip dihedral and full wing dihedral will all work well enough for most competitions. I really think that full dihedral wings with no plates are easy enough to make for most students, and seem to fly well and have good stability. Maybe if you are looking to win Nationals, it is a different story. On a regional or state level, if you are getting times of less than 10 sec. the main things would be a damaged plane or no flying time. We saw several 15 gram planes with huge components and thick tissue covering fly 25-30 second flights that looked great for what they were. I'm nowhere near the experience level of many on here, but it isn't rocket science to have a plane that can fly for a minute or more.

jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor » May 4th, 2009, 10:33 am

jacdad wrote:The Helicopter event sounds like it would be a much better alternative to Egg-O-Naut. BLG moving to C would be sweet too. That is assuming that WS will not be coming back to C anytime soon. Our High School coach is very interested in the Helicopter, and would appreciate any info needed to run a trial event at Regionals and States.<SNIP>
Trial event rules are on the national website at http://soinc.org/trial_events the name of the event we are talking about is Helicopter Duration at http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... RATION.pdf As one of the authors, all comments on clarity, etc are welcome.

All you need to run a trial event at a Regional or State level is to convince the tournament organizers to add it to their list of events. Of course since most tournament organizers are already overworked, it would help to also provide an event supervisor and volunteers to run it. You'll need a space similar to that needed for Wright Stuff. But from what I saw yesterday, floor space isn't as critical, the copters generally stayed within 15 ft of where launched horizontally. But these things want to climb or descend, so taller is better, and a fairly clean ceilings are highly desirable.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

yoyosciencekid23
Division: B
State: PA

Post by yoyosciencekid23 » May 4th, 2009, 12:05 pm

that will be cool to have a helicopter event
my concern would just be whatare these things going to be made of

any thoughts
:) :) :)
Regionals: Crave the Wave-4th
PSL-1st
Wright Stuff-3rd

States: Crave the Wave-9th
PSL-12th
Wright Stuff-9th
Write-it-Do-it-23rd

jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor » May 4th, 2009, 12:48 pm

yoyosciencekid23 wrote:that will be cool to have a helicopter event
my concern would just be whatare these things going to be made of

any thoughts
:) :) :)
Pretty much the same materials WS and BLG are made of. Balsa, tissue or mylar covering, string, small amounts of metal, maybe clay for ballast, glue, etc. Powered by rubber bands (same tricky non-linear source as for planes). Rotors are just wings going in circles. Of course that does make the design a little more complicated, the tips are traveling far faster than the hub so angle of attach varies along the rotor blade, but you'll find its not as hard as it looks.
wlsguy wrote:<SNIP>I think Smartkid222 is worried because there is so little information out there on Helicopters. A quick google search will turn up dozens of sites about indoor free flight but almost no one is flying helicopters competitively.

This could be solved with very detailed info on the wiki or good links from the SO event info site.<SNIP>
Actually, this lack of info is one of the things that makes it attractive to SO. More research needed on the students part, more space for innovation. And I expect idiots like me will continue to contribute to lists like this, wikis, etc. to support students. I still hate timing the race to the floor. While it is a truism that you learn from your mistakes, its really only if they lead to eventual success that learning fully blossoms.

I also expect someone will offer kits eventually. I'm also sure suitable plans will pop up quickly on the web that if not the be-all end-all design, will work and not embarass you if you do your part.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

yoyosciencekid23

Post by yoyosciencekid23 » May 4th, 2009, 12:50 pm

that would be hard though a helicopter out of balsa
imagine what the plans for that would look like
:D :D
PSL-1st
Wright Stuff-3rd

States: Crave the Wave-9th
PSL-12th
Wright Stuff-9th
Write-it-Do-it-23rd

49ers
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad

Post by 49ers » May 4th, 2009, 1:02 pm

yoyosciencekid23 wrote:that would be hard though a helicopter out of balsa
I agree. That would look kinda funny...
East Stroudsburg South and J.T.L Cavs Alumnus
49ersfan
Metsfan
You are now free to lose the game.
Ursinus Bearcox 2020
Need a rugger? Look no further.
Disk is lif.
Physics and Astronomy major; Bio, Math minors
Nu Delta Omicron founder.

jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor » May 4th, 2009, 2:14 pm

[
49ers wrote:
yoyosciencekid23 wrote:that would be hard though a helicopter out of balsa
I agree. That would look kinda funny...
Like a WS plane looks much like a Boeing 747? Folks, part of being a scientest is opening your mind and looking beyond what you are used to seeing.
For examples, see:
http://www.gryffinaero.com/models/ffpag ... penni.html
http://www.wright-brothers.org/Adventur ... %20Bat.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/aerohydro/mfm/ ... ayley1.htm
http://www.centennialofflight.gov/wbh/w ... Bstory.htm
http://www.americanjuniorclassics.com/c ... walker.htm
http://home.att.net/%7Edannysoar/ceilingWalker.htm

Keep in mind, those devices were made for play, not serious duration. But the concepts works. Lighten it, maybe add blades (wing area), etc...

And if this does become an event, you'll see many more examples hitting the web.

Hope that gives some hints.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

gyourkoshaven
Division: C

Post by gyourkoshaven » May 4th, 2009, 3:06 pm

It looks like they'd put specifications on for size before it would become an event.
Strath Haven MS:
2008: Regionals-3, States-5
2009: Regionals-2, States-4
2010: Regionals-1, States-2, Nationals-19 :)
2011 (Co-captain): Regionals-1, States-1, Nationals-11 :D

Nationals: Aquifers-37, Compute This-13, Dynamic Planet-25, Ecology-6, Experimental Design-7, Junkyard-33

Moving to C...

yoyosciencekid23

Post by yoyosciencekid23 » May 4th, 2009, 3:16 pm

definitely there are always size parameters for building events
:D :D :D
PSL-1st