Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Trajectory B/C

Post by Aia »

My sister used surgical tubing. However, she doubled-up her surgical tubing (one tube inside another) to minimize the effects of wear over time. Now, my knowledge in the realm of trajectory is very limited, but I do believe her method gave consistent data and was effective.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
Lily Essence
Division: C
State: TX

Post by Lily Essence »

Aia wrote:My sister used surgical tubing. However, she doubled-up her surgical tubing (one tube inside another) to minimize the effects of wear over time. Now, my knowledge in the realm of trajectory is very limited, but I do believe her method gave consistent data and was effective.
*thinks* Exactly what kind of surgical tubing did your sister use? Could you describe it? Because then tubing we used would have been difficult to tread through, and ours did stretch to some degree after maybe 50 or so firings (confirm Sunshine?) and it messed us up big-time.
Silent and Listen are spelled with the same letters
Seven Lakes SLHS Science Olympiad
Retiring my competition career! Off to scold the newbies as a manager!
karatekid44
Division: B
State: PA

Post by karatekid44 »

Lily Essence wrote:
Aia wrote:My sister used surgical tubing. However, she doubled-up her surgical tubing (one tube inside another) to minimize the effects of wear over time. Now, my knowledge in the realm of trajectory is very limited, but I do believe her method gave consistent data and was effective.
*thinks* Exactly what kind of surgical tubing did your sister use? Could you describe it? Because then tubing we used would have been difficult to tread through, and ours did stretch to some degree after maybe 50 or so firings (confirm Sunshine?) and it messed us up big-time.
We had a short and long piece of surgical tubing, and we tied it on pegs to and from the firing arm. I did not do this event, but i helped out and used this event to take a break from the other events. Nothing gives a break like flinging balls!
My Brother USCGA-2012
I'm On A Boat
The Bloodhound Gang
Don't put the stick there! Thats what she said!
Ah Science Olympiad give perfect opportunities for thats what she said jokes.
catapult champion
Division: B
State: AL

Post by catapult champion »

starpug wrote:
Aia wrote:I perused the trajectory forum, but was unable to find any posts relating to B division trajectory scores at Nationals. Does anyone know where the scores fell for medaling in B division? My sister was wondering how her trajectory (which received 1st at State) would have stood up compared to other devices at the National competition, since she was unable to attend. Her state score (which was consistent with her other runs, both difficult and easier heights), was 6cm off the far target and 9mm off the near target.
I can bet you they would have 0 scores for at least the top 3 and possibly all the medalers, I heard the top 5 all hit the pin last year. Beyond that I have no clue.

if all the top medalers hit the pin how would they detirmine places
1st place catapult 2009 (regionals)
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

catapult champion wrote:
starpug wrote:
Aia wrote:I perused the trajectory forum, but was unable to find any posts relating to B division trajectory scores at Nationals. Does anyone know where the scores fell for medaling in B division? My sister was wondering how her trajectory (which received 1st at State) would have stood up compared to other devices at the National competition, since she was unable to attend. Her state score (which was consistent with her other runs, both difficult and easier heights), was 6cm off the far target and 9mm off the near target.
I can bet you they would have 0 scores for at least the top 3 and possibly all the medalers, I heard the top 5 all hit the pin last year. Beyond that I have no clue.

if all the top medalers hit the pin how would they detirmine places
By how consistent you were I believe
Trajectory Rules Section 6 wrote: f. The first tiebreaker shall be the lower total of the sum of the two scored shots (to reward consistency) and the second tiebreaker by the closest shot. Third tiebreaker will be the non-scored shot at the far target; fourth tiebreaker will be non-scored shot at the close target.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Aia
State: WA

Post by Aia »

If anyone's curious, I posted my sister's design to the Scioly image gallery with explanations:

http://gallery.scioly.org/categories.php?cat_id=51

Hopefully these photos will also shed some light on the "doubled up" surgical tubing I had mentioned earlier.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

Aia wrote:If anyone's curious, I posted my sister's design to the Scioly image gallery with explanations:

http://gallery.scioly.org/categories.php?cat_id=51

Hopefully these photos will also shed some light on the "doubled up" surgical tubing I had mentioned earlier.
Thanks Aia, that does clear some things up. :D
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

Return to “2009 Build Events”