It's About Time C

chalker
Division: Grad
State: OH

Suggestions / Feedback on Time?

Post by chalker »

Good job to everyone who was in Augusta last weekend. I saw a very impressive variety of devices, some of which were amazingly accurate. There also was a good spread on the test scores, which meant I didn't have to utilize the tiebreaker question. We are near the end of the process of making revisions to the rules for next year, and thought I'd ask for feedback or suggestions from everyone on this event. Let me know what you liked, didn't like, or wish to see in this event and I'll try to take it into consideration.

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
chalker
State: OH

Re: It's About Time C

Post by chalker »

Jazzy09 wrote:holy butterfly that nats test was so difficult. i thought i was going to do good but i only got 19th.
Looking at my master scoresheet, you must be from Eastview. You got 8/25 right on the test. The average was 9/25. The best score was 18/25. As I told everyone at the start of the test, I deliberately made it long and difficult, so that part of the strategy is in tackling the ones you know best first. I don't think there was anything not appropriate for the event on the test, but I'm always open to feedback or suggestions. Hopefully you learned something though in the process of competing, which is really what SO is all about. Good luck next year!

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Paradox21 »

I couldn't do this event at nationals because it conflicted with another event but at state I got 1st. I always felt that I could not find enough info for the event but the State test was so pathetically easy I never had a problem. From the sounds of things the National test was insanely hard. We covered all the links on the website and read the suggested book and found that we still needed more information. Some more informative links or books would be really helpful. I really liked this event this year.
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

I really liked it, my clock rocked and we would have gotten a higher medal at states had the test not been so long and semi-hard. My regional test seemed really good, it was comprised of just about everything and since I watch a lot of Discovery Channel it was pretty easy (there were like two questions out of like 45 I didn't know). I'm going to miss it next year (I'm graduating). I so wish we could have gone to Nationals. We probably could have gotten like top ten, though it stinks the rest of my team had to stink up states.
2007 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Fermi Questions, SumoBots
2008 Events: Remote Sensing, Astronomy, Herpetology, SumoBots, Forensics

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

Does anyone have any images of clocks from Nationals?

2009 Events: Remote Sensing 3, Astronomy 2, Fossils 2, Sumobots 1, It's About Time 1, Chem Lab 2
Paradox21
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by Paradox21 »

Sheogorath wrote:Does anyone have any images of clocks from Nationals?
The event was not open to the public like other building events, so it is kind of hard to get pictures.
When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.
Sheogorath

Post by Sheogorath »

Ok, then does anyone have images of their own clocks. I'm interested in what other winning clocks looked like. The ones I remember seeing did not so great.

Jazzy09
Division: C

Post by Jazzy09 »

chalker wrote:
Jazzy09 wrote:holy butterfly that nats test was so difficult. i thought i was going to do good but i only got 19th.
Looking at my master scoresheet, you must be from Eastview. You got 8/25 right on the test. The average was 9/25. The best score was 18/25. As I told everyone at the start of the test, I deliberately made it long and difficult, so that part of the strategy is in tackling the ones you know best first. I don't think there was anything not appropriate for the event on the test, but I'm always open to feedback or suggestions. Hopefully you learned something though in the process of competing, which is really what SO is all about. Good luck next year!
looking back at the test, i think it could have had more about the different systems of timekeeping. i had a humongous binder, but i guess i didn't have information on the right topics
“He who is humble is confident and wise. He who brags is insecure and lacking.”
-Lisa Edmondson
manutd94
State: PA

Post by manutd94 »

It's a great event. Makes you think a lot. ;)
2010 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing
2010 Nationals: 3rd Astronomy, 5th Remote Sensing
2011 States: 1st Astronomy, 2nd Wind Power, 5th Fossils
2011 Nationals: 1st Astronomy, 6th Wind Power
2012 States: 1st Astronomy, 1st Remote Sensing, 3rd Chemistry Lab

4 life-changing years.

Return to “2009 Build Events”