It's About Time C

bearasauras
State: CA

Re: It's about time

Post by bearasauras »

You should check with your tournament director to see if there will desk table where the event takes place
Hola
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Hola »

HELP!!!
:? With a pendulum, how do you measure fractions of a swing?
i.e. if a quarter of a swing has gone by, where will the the bob be? What about a fifth of the swing? three fifths? How do I figure this out? What math is involved? I'm really having trouble with this right now....
I'm bad with last minute things, and my regional competition is tomorrow. :shock: I'm leaving for it... today, so the sooner anyone could hint me towards anything, even if it's just a guess or a not-so-helpful thought, please say it! :mrgreen: Thank you thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond....
Smile :D
Hola

Post by Hola »

Also... Does anyone happen to know where I can find a good list of time (not clock) words and definitions, like "jubilee" and "sesquicentennial" and "olympiad?"
Smile :D
vofbassist
Division: Grad
State: WI

Post by vofbassist »

I've been wondering, what's the advantage of a pendulum clock as opposed to other ones? It's easier to build, but is it also more precise or something? I know that many teams that have pendulum clocks have done very well with them, but I can't help but think that there's some kind of trick to it.
Melkor6000
State: NY

Post by Melkor6000 »

Hola wrote:
With a pendulum, how do you measure fractions of a swing?
i.e. if a quarter of a swing has gone by, where will the the bob be? What about a fifth of the swing? three fifths? How do I figure this out? What math is involved? I'm really having trouble with this right now....
I'm bad with last minute things, and my regional competition is tomorrow. :shock: I'm leaving for it... today, so the sooner anyone could hint me towards anything, even if it's just a guess or a not-so-helpful thought, please say it! :mrgreen: Thank you thank you to anyone who takes the time to respond....
a pendulum is shm (simple harmonic motion) which is a sinusoidal curve, so you would calculate the displacement with respect to equilibrium, and use the equation T = 2(pi)sqrt(l/g) to get a graph of the displacement, and pair it with a specific time. You can't just use a liear relationship up and down, because it will be slightly off because shm is a curve. Hope this helped.

M6K
2007-2008 Regionals: Boomilever (3rd), Environmental Chem (5th)
2008-2009 Regionals: Fossils (4th), Physics Lab (4th), Alternative Energy (2nd)
2009-2010 Regionals: Astronomy (1st), Fossils (3rd), Mission Possible (6th), Physics Lab (1st), Trajectory (2nd)
09-10 Kinda-Captain
Clarence High School
Butternuts
Division: B

Post by Butternuts »

Okay, so I live in Cheyenne, Wyoming and I just got assigned to this event for state (in like 2 weeks!!! and I've ever participated in science olympiad). I was thinking about using a pendulum with a simple escapement. It seems like the most accurate idea. Also, a stiff rod instead of, say, string for the pendulum would be better, so that it doesn't move around. How would I attach the rod? I told you I live in Wyoming because the recomended book, --Jespersen, Fitz-Randolph, Robb. "From Sundials to Atomic Clocks: Understanding Time and Frequency" 1999-- is not avalible at any library in Wyo. So is there a website or alternate book that we can study from?
Flavorflav
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

If you only have two weeks, forget the escapement. With a heavy bob you won't need it.
Mickey

Re: It's About Time C

Post by Mickey »

Hey, if you are interested in trading tests, shoot me a message! :D
dhbrann

Post by dhbrann »

Wait should I use to reduce the friction of the pendulum? What were your pendulum's made of? What did you guys do for a pivot point?
If anyone has a practice test they want to give to me, I'll be willing to take it.
Jazzy09

Post by Jazzy09 »

i got first in state in this event and my team got first as well. will i see anyone else in Augusta?
“He who is humble is confident and wise. He who brags is insecure and lacking.”
-Lisa Edmondson

Return to “2009 Build Events”