Egg-O-Naut C

jazzy009
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Egg-O-Naut C

Post by jazzy009 »

Yeah the site is a little censored...haha no matter what you meant!
I'm planning on building a new nosecone that's insanely long. Despite all the stuff I've read about how long nosecones don't help, It may for what I want. Anybody want to shed some light on how I can build a very long/large nosecone?
Call me coach.
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

Nitpick, you'd actually be on the "flight deck" of the shuttle (and that isn't even censored).

A lot of times you need luck in shuttle flights as well, as far as weather goes and stuff, the difference is you don't launch the shuttle if the weather is bad. So it's luck that dictates whether or not you fly, not how well you fly. Still no way to cancel out the luck factor though.
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

GitItWright wrote:
robotman09 wrote:but if you think about it all events have a "get lucky" factor i have had some times in robots when i wouldnt have done very well if luck hadn't helped me so i don,t think it is possible or a good idea to make a rule that take out a natural phenomena
Well, let me say that if I were sitting in the butterfly of NASA's shuttle and one of the top engineers states over the radio, "Ah yes, we are depending on luck to make this work so bear with us...", that I would ask for another assignment.

Good Luck.
Ah yes but NASA isn't a competition, if everything works it's fine. In SO if everything works that might not matter if you don't win.
jazzy009 wrote:Yeah the site is a little censored...haha no matter what you meant!
I'm planning on building a new nosecone that's insanely long. Despite all the stuff I've read about how long nosecones don't help, It may for what I want. Anybody want to shed some light on how I can build a very long/large nosecone?
Multiple bottles taped together like this
You want to start on the inside with some tape and then one flat piece on the outside to reduce drag
This parachute didn't deploy but that was because of other design flaws not the nose cone.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski »

jazzy009 wrote:Yeah the site is a little censored...haha no matter what you meant!
I saw a really long nosecone on a rocket at our competition this year - probably at least two feet long - seemed to be their recovery system or something because they didn't even seem to have parachutes.

It was very long and skinny however, I'd guess it was made out of a thin piece of PVC conduit.

A long nosecone will really work to your disadvantage though. One, it adds a lot of mass, which is undesirable. Two, for rocket stability, you want the center of pressure to be located lower than the center of gravity. When you add a long nosecone, you're probably raising the center of pressure more than the center of gravity, unless you have weight at the top of the nose cone.

You can essentially "chain" bottles together though by cutting the tops off and fitting them together.
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

We used to make cones out of heavy brown paper and stuff them with popcorn to help the rockets come down on their sides...but that was for Bottle Rockets a "no parachutes" year.
scienceolympiadist
State: OH

Post by scienceolympiadist »

hey, do you think they'll change the event specification for egg o naut for next year? if so, how?

i hope they go to 2 liter bottles...
dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by dickyjones »

I think no parachutes would be interesting with the eggs and make people focus more on aerodynamics and stability more than just the parachute system which was basically the event this year. Has anyone tested how backsliders do with the weight of the egg and its padding?
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11
scienceolympiadist

dickyjones wrote:I think no parachutes would be interesting with the eggs and make people focus more on aerodynamics and stability more than just the parachute system which was basically the event this year. Has anyone tested how backsliders do with the weight of the egg and its padding?
oh gawd please no backslider + eggs. lol. that would be my nightmare. aerodynamics can be applied to parachutes too, since aerodynamics determine height, and whoever has best height + parachute that works = win

backslider from 2005 div B...the winning rocket at nationals was somewhere like 25 seconds. if you had to add the weight of an egg...i dont see anything topping 20 at all. all the best and the average cant really be seperated...luck would play more of a role in distinguishing those fractions of a second
starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Post by starpug »

scienceolympiadist wrote:
dickyjones wrote:I think no parachutes would be interesting with the eggs and make people focus more on aerodynamics and stability more than just the parachute system which was basically the event this year. Has anyone tested how backsliders do with the weight of the egg and its padding?
oh gawd please no backslider + eggs. lol. that would be my nightmare. aerodynamics can be applied to parachutes too, since aerodynamics determine height, and whoever has best height + parachute that works = win

backslider from 2005 div B...the winning rocket at nationals was somewhere like 25 seconds. if you had to add the weight of an egg...i dont see anything topping 20 at all. all the best and the average cant really be seperated...luck would play more of a role in distinguishing those fractions of a second
I might be ok with it if they moved up to 2 liter bottles but even then theirs going to be way too much bunching of scores
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
scienceolympiadist

i didn't even think about that. backslider would haev to be 2 liters. even that, like i said, seeing how 25 sec can win Nationals without an egg...with a egg it prob wont top 20 sec

Return to “2009 Build Events”