Egg-O-Naut C

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Re: Egg-O-Naut

Postby rocketman1555 » September 25th, 2008, 6:11 pm

that was great, especially that picture you took fester
I am a practitioner of the art of magic known as science.

DeltaHat

Postby DeltaHat » September 25th, 2008, 7:37 pm

SO Summer Fun Camp - Abusing science since 2003.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible

captbilly

Postby captbilly » September 26th, 2008, 9:36 am

OK so one last time, "freefall recovery system" as in the rules, means that you can't use a powered recovery system? So I'm thinking that a powered rotor, like on a helicopter would be illegal, but an autogyro (using an unpowered rotor like a parachute), or parachute, or wings, would all be legal?

DeltaHat

Postby DeltaHat » September 26th, 2008, 10:47 am

That's how I understand it.
National Event Supervisor - Mission Possible

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » September 26th, 2008, 4:55 pm

SO Summer Fun Camp - Abusing science since 2003.
true, but in a good way

an autogyro should be legal, i don't see anything against it in the rules...yet

captbilly

Postby captbilly » October 7th, 2008, 11:41 pm

I just noticed the rule that says that no other source of energy other than the air/water can be used for any purpose, so how do you get the egg capsule to separate from the rest of the rocket? How can you deploy a parachute or wings or rotor with no energy source? I can't pretend to be a newb, so I do know a bit about physics, and it is not possible to have two object moving at the same velocity to separate without some source of energy to cuase their relative speeds to change. This could be accomplished by converting some kinetic energy to aerodynamic force (drag, and ultimately heat), which would differentially slow a portion of the egg-o-naut, but would this energy be considered to originate from the water/air pressure? Do you suppose it would be ok to convert some of kinetic energy of the egg-o-naut into potential energy in a spring?

rocketman1555
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby rocketman1555 » October 8th, 2008, 6:57 pm

use gravity, and the shape of the rocket to help get the egg to leave

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » October 8th, 2008, 7:04 pm

I just noticed the rule that says that no other source of energy other than the air/water can be used for any purpose, so how do you get the egg capsule to separate from the rest of the rocket? How can you deploy a parachute or wings or rotor with no energy source? I can't pretend to be a newb, so I do know a bit about physics, and it is not possible to have two object moving at the same velocity to separate without some source of energy to cuase their relative speeds to change. This could be accomplished by converting some kinetic energy to aerodynamic force (drag, and ultimately heat), which would differentially slow a portion of the egg-o-naut, but would this energy be considered to originate from the water/air pressure? Do you suppose it would be ok to convert some of kinetic energy of the egg-o-naut into potential energy in a spring?
I don't think so...the air/water would still be the only SOURCE of energy, even if it goes through another form in the meantime.

I think it specifically forbid springs...although if they were powered by the air/water pressure it may be different.

Anyway, think momentum. P = MV.

starpug
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: ME

Postby starpug » October 8th, 2008, 7:09 pm

:idea: Well you guys could use a balloon to deploy the parachute, that would be air pressure.

Here this is a quote from http://bradcalv.customer.netspace.net.au/wrbook.htm a link from the wiki

Balloon: Gary Ensmenger has used a small inflated balloon inside the nose cone, the balloon is squashed down during high-speed flight, as the drag force on the front of the rocket decreases the balloon expands, pushing the nose open and allowing the parachute to be released.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » October 9th, 2008, 2:49 pm

The rules actually read:

"All energy imparted to the rocket must originate from the water/air pressure combination (provided by the event supervisor)."

So I don't think that would work.

Return to “2009 Build Events”