Junkyard Challenge C

balsaboy359
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Junkyard Challenge C

Post by balsaboy359 »

Did anyone do a coin sorter for their state competition. I am interested to see what their final score was.
'09
Trajectory- 1st at Regional, 2nd at State
Egg-O-Naut- 1st at Regional- 6th at State
Electric Vehicle- 3rd at Regioinal - really bad at State
Junkyard Challenge- 1st at State

GO MIZZOU!
maggymay
Division: C

Post by maggymay »

Our team did, but we don't have our scores yet. At Regionals they had Tipping the Scale, then at State after Impound 'Coin Sorter" was announced.
jazzy009
Division: Grad

Post by jazzy009 »

we got the same as maggymay
Call me coach.
Untitled
State: CA

Post by Untitled »

How fast do you your coin sorters sort? And how much change was asked to be sorted at state?
UC Berkeley ChemE 2014
jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 »

its always 5 dollars (at least it should be, according to the rules). ours sorted somewhat fast. we had about $3.60 of various coins (only 2 quarters i believe) in 56 seconds. a coin got stuck at state though so my teammate had to touch it and that slowed us down as well as penalize us.
Call me coach.
Untitled
State: CA

Post by Untitled »

And how big is your coin sorter? We need to shrink ours.......Its way way too big.
UC Berkeley ChemE 2014
xBEEMANx

Post by xBEEMANx »

HELP!!!!!

Ok guys, I am Jr. High and I really wanted to go to Science olympiad, but he was sending the max, so he put me in the sr. high division, but I honestly have no clue what I am doing. I'm not asking to cheat, but I'm asking for a basic idea. I doubt we'll make it past state, but I want to have something so we don't look like complete pigeon. If you aren't comfortable posting here, then just send me a PM.
maggymay

Post by maggymay »

xBEEMANx wrote:HELP!!!!!

Ok guys, I am Jr. High and I really wanted to go to Science olympiad, but he was sending the max, so he put me in the sr. high division, but I honestly have no clue what I am doing. I'm not asking to cheat, but I'm asking for a basic idea. I doubt we'll make it past state, but I want to have something so we don't look like complete pigeon. If you aren't comfortable posting here, then just send me a PM.
When is your competition, you must be referring to a "Regional" competition right? (A school can only have multiple teams at Invitationals or at Regionals...at State a school can ONLY send one team). How much time do you have to prepare?

A couple of things...
Your coach is a jerk. Sorry, just my opinion., but it had to be said. Did your coach just stick you in Junkyard Challenge for Regionals or do you have multiple events? You should have a partner, preferable someone who's done your event/s before. If you have contact info for the other people on your team, get in touch with them and BEG for someone to work with you. The coach & your team-mates shouldn't just leave you on your own twisting in the wind.
Now *that* is off my chest, a couple of things...
Remember, Google is your friend. In addition to the National site, there are a lot of good state sites out there...Virginia, New York, plus many others.
Take a look around this site especially the event wiki.
Make SURE you understand the rules before you study or start building. If you don't have time to buy your own, your coach should have a copy of the official rules, get a copy of the page for your event/s.
If you're participating in a Building Event, remember this...EVEN IF YOUR DEVICE DOESN'T QUITE WORK, you can still get participation points and not get disqualified for building something too big or bringing something to the event that's not allowed. And you can have *fun* hanging out with a friend and pick up ideas for next year. Take the opportunity to watch other competitors - see what works and what *doesn't*.
Search for videos on YouTube.

I know it seems overwhelming right now, but you can have fun at this thing.

Good luck!
Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre »

maggymay wrote: When is your competition, you must be referring to a "Regional" competition right? (A school can only have multiple teams at Invitationals or at Regionals...at State a school can ONLY send one team).
That rule varies from state to state. Here in KY for example, some schools take 3 teams to state.
vofbassist
State: WI

Post by vofbassist »

That's what our school is doing here in Wisconsin.

Return to “2009 Build Events”