Elevated Bridge B/C

elau0493
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elevated Bridge 2009

Post by elau0493 » January 21st, 2009, 12:34 pm

sr243 wrote:same, we have a couple of good schools, but I think I can medal. Recently, I have gotten lucky and gotten a ratio around 1000. I think it should be able to medal. I wish I could release information about it, but I think I will after my regionals. One question about what everyone around me says is can you reuse wood? As long as the strength is considerable the same, like 90% and the weight is about the same, I think I will. However my experiences taught me to build completely from scratch. It would save a lot of wood if I do so.

same here, i think me and my partner got lucky. we had a 1000 too, so we won first for our first bridge :o odd, cuz i was sure that other people were bound to get over a 1000 based on what i've heard from others forums etc. i don't think you should reuse the wood cuz it might have been slight "cracked" (idk the word) on the inside and you can't see it. but that's only if you've tested your bridge already. idk, that's just what i think o.o

bhreed18
Division: B

Post by bhreed18 » January 21st, 2009, 2:18 pm

i have a bridge that weighed 63 grams and held more than 15 kilos it actually held 18 kilos but im wondering what i can do to shave some weight because at the invitational i went to i didnt win any medals

Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Aia » January 21st, 2009, 2:20 pm

bhreed18 wrote:i have a bridge that weighed 63 grams and held more than 15 kilos it actually held 18 kilos but im wondering what i can do to shave some weight because at the invitational i went to i didnt win any medals
Can you put a picture of your bridge in the image gallery? It will be much easier to give advice if we can see the structure.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

jander14indoor

Post by jander14indoor » January 21st, 2009, 2:28 pm

bhreed18 wrote:i have a bridge that weighed 63 grams and held more than 15 kilos it actually held 18 kilos but im wondering what i can do to shave some weight because at the invitational i went to i didnt win any medals
At 63 grams you don't need to shave weight, you need to redesign from scratch. Have you reviewed the many points already discussed in this string? Many excellent hints and links.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

bhreed18
Division: B

Post by bhreed18 » January 21st, 2009, 2:50 pm

63 grams is really heavy for a bridge? didnt know that one. no wonder i didint get a medal.

jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 » January 21st, 2009, 3:04 pm

i havent been to nats but i talked to a girl that had at my last invite and she said winning bridges there are about 3 grams and hold 9 kg... wow.
Call me coach.

Crak_Jak

Post by Crak_Jak » January 21st, 2009, 3:07 pm

bhreed18 wrote:63 grams is really heavy for a bridge? didnt know that one. no wonder i didint get a medal.
Yes, 63 grams is REALLY heavy. You need to use a bridge designer and work from heavy to light by taking out useless members....if you know wut I mean.....
Dumplings......$5
Bowl of noodles......$6
Pair of chopsticks......$9
Being asian......priceless

Valpo Towers and Trebs

Post by Valpo Towers and Trebs » January 21st, 2009, 3:09 pm

Umm she was almost definitely talking about the old rules for bridges since this is the first year for elavated bridge and there hasn't been a national competition with this event. The efficiencies this year are going to be lower than 3000 I would guess but 2500 is probably not out of reach for the best teams.
you stay classy, planet earth!

jazzy009

Post by jazzy009 » January 21st, 2009, 3:15 pm

thats a little more comforting...
Call me coach.

dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado » January 21st, 2009, 5:20 pm

WrightStuffMonster wrote:
dudeincolorado wrote:I'm having the same problem with cost. My partner is determined to use power tools and wood glue. We have gone through at least 30 sticks of balsa because of it. :( Sigh I'm having event issues...
Unless you are using oak or really dense thick basswood there is no reason to be using power tools. It just wastes wood. The only powertool that might actually be useful here is a high quality table saw if you were trying to cut your own sheets of balsa which I dont really recommend (I have tried it...) Sharp razors that are replaced often are your friend when working with balsa. What power tools are you using now and how are you using them?

im not using them i would prefer and exacto knife. But my partner is using a dremel, and i belive a belt sander, i like him, but hes new at this and i just want to tell him that is wastes wood..
SO stressed!

Return to “2009 Build Events”