Elevated Bridge B/C

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA

Re: Elevated Bridge B/C

Postby Aia » April 19th, 2009, 11:14 pm

Both B and C division bridges in Washington's state competition came in with impressive scores- each would be competitive at the National level.

Unfortunately, I had one faulty piece of wood and got an efficiency 400pts lower than my state prototype bridge. This was disappointing, but my score was still high enough to take silver. This story is also saddening because the team that won was the one that had showed up with a design suspiciously similar to mine at Regionals. However, there are several highlights to my bridge experience: I still get to test one more bridge in Augusta, and I had amazing support from other schools at the competition. I was congratulated by no less than 6 individuals from different rival schools on my hard work. To be called "inspirational" is one of the best compliments you can receive, really. For their kind words, I'd rather take silver any day.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the national bridges look like, and will continue to update with advice and bridge scores. Good luck to everyone still competing!

Aia
Last edited by Aia on April 20th, 2009, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

boomtech
State: CA

Postby boomtech » April 20th, 2009, 12:51 am

we got disqualified. sigh. everybody hates us, they won't even give us .004 of a cm
Former Div B, C competitor; current Div B, C Event Supervisor

croman74
Division: C
State: MI

Postby croman74 » April 20th, 2009, 4:01 am

The winning B division bridge in Washington State came in just under 1650, and effortlessly took the full 15kg. Beware of this team at the national level! I'm sure that they will improve their score significantly. The winning C division bridge was just shy of 1400.

Unfortunately, I had one faulty piece of wood and got an efficiency 400pts lower than my state prototype bridge. This was disappointing, but my score was still high enough to take silver. This story is also saddening because the team that won was the one that had showed up with a design suspiciously similar to mine at Regionals. However, there are several highlights to my bridge experience: I still get to test one more bridge in Augusta, and I had amazing support from other schools at the competition. I was congratulated by no less than 6 individuals from different rival schools on my hard work. To be called "inspirational" is one of the best compliments you can receive, really. For their kind words, I'd rather take silver any day.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the national bridges look like, and will continue to update with advice and bridge scores. Good luck to everyone still competing!

Aia
Good luck at nationals! I'm sorry to hear that you're bridge didn't do as well as you would've liked it, but at least you can work on it before nationals! A silver medal at states is a big accomplishment.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

boomtech
State: CA

Postby boomtech » April 20th, 2009, 9:12 am

The winning B division bridge in Washington State came in just under 1650, and effortlessly took the full 15kg. Beware of this team at the national level! I'm sure that they will improve their score significantly. The winning C division bridge was just shy of 1400.

Aia
Good luck at nationals! I'm sorry to hear that you're bridge didn't do as well as you would've liked it, but at least you can work on it before nationals! A silver medal at states is a big accomplishment.
Same from me to you, Aia. Hopefully you guys will do well at nationals. Congrats on the silver medal!
Former Div B, C competitor; current Div B, C Event Supervisor

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby smartkid222 » April 20th, 2009, 12:13 pm

we got disqualified. sigh. everybody hates us, they won't even give us .004 of a cm
I'm sorry but you ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have to quadruple check ALL the measurents for these building events. Especially at states and i assume nats they are VERY strict. Don't push the rules too much. If there is any doubt if your bridge clears a dimention, fix it. change your plans so there can be no chanse of it beining tired. beining tired is one of the worst things that can happen. It's happend to me many times before, including last year when my state tower which would have gotten 3rd place ended up getting around 34th place. Even when i went to spectate states this year for my MS team i saw some other teams getting tired (mainly due to height) by no more than a milimeter. If they had checked the bridge's specs, even after they built it, it could have been sanded down. Also be aware that my State Event Supivisor interprets the rules as saying that one you go up to check in your bridge you may not modify it in any way, so there are no second chanses there. The bottom line is that you have to check over everything many many times. You check if your birdge is legal, then give it to your coach to check it, then to a few teamates. Getting more eyes to look at the bridge will have better chanses of picking something up that you wouldn't have seen. I have definetly learned from my mistakes that my bridges this year were soo legal. I prob might have been able to very very slightly improve my efficiency by taking advantage of the rules to it's greatest potential, but that's risking getting tired, and i'ts really not worth it.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby andrewwski » April 20th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Guess what, if you're .004 cm over, you should be Tier 2'ed! (Not DQ'ed, but placed in Tier 2.)

The rules are there for a reason.

However, I don't know how it was measured to .001 cm accuracy. That's .04 millimeters, or 40 microns. Did they use calipers or something? Because no ruler is going to measure with that accuracy.

dickyjones
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Postby dickyjones » April 20th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Wasn't in this event, but chiming in...
Isn't there a reason the rules only have 2/3 significant digits (to .0 cm) in the rules? I'd think that the accuracy of measurement would be the same as that of the rules. Of course you should attempt to play it safe, but to me, that bridge would be legal.
VHSSO Veteran!
Events: Ecology, Herpetology, Cell Bio, Entomology, Sounds of Music, Circuit Lab, Chem Lab, Disease Detective, Dynamic Planet, Five Star, EggONaut, Enviro Chemistry, Fermi, Quantum Quandaries!
Nationals: Wichita: Ecology-4, Entomology-5, Team-11; DC: Sounds-1, Team-11

fleet130
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Postby fleet130 » April 20th, 2009, 1:33 pm

Here's my understanding of measurements.

In general measurement practices, a stated minimum or maximum implies infinite precision.

For nominal dimensions, the precision is generally accepted to be +/- .5 of the least significant figure in the stated dimension.

It would be silly to state dimensions to a precision requiring special/expensive equipment to verify them, The dimensions are generally stated to a precision achievable by most event supervisors with commonly available, inexpensive measuring equipment.

The question really is: Why put your success in jeopardy for that silly millimeter (or fraction thereof) when the increase in performance is minute. Plan to be slightly over/under the required dimension and put your efforts into finding ways to produce real gain.
Information expressed here is solely the opinion of the author. Any similarity to that of the management or any official instrument is purely coincidental! Doing Science Olympiad since 1987!

croman74
State: MI

Postby croman74 » April 20th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Guess what, if you're .004 cm over, you should be Tier 2'ed! (Not DQ'ed, but placed in Tier 2.)

However, I don't know how it was measured to .001 cm accuracy. That's .04 millimeters, or 40 microns. Did they use calipers or something? Because no ruler is going to measure with that accuracy.
I'm guessing that that was a slight exaggeration. I'll be testing another bridge tonight, and I have a feeling that it will be my best.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Postby smartkid222 » April 20th, 2009, 1:57 pm

I'm pretty sure that whoever said that exaggurating and also that they meant 2nd' tired.

In response to the last two posts. At my state competition they used a ruler. One team i saw was tired for 1 milimeter (this means their height was 15.1cm). also i was there when the ES told Wisdom Lane Middle SChool that their bridge was tired but then left so i didn't inspect it myself. when i came back they were done measuring it and it was tired. They said that it was tired for less than 1mm and that if they had seen it earier they could have sanded it down.

I agree with fleet:
The question really is: Why put your success in jeopardy for that silly millimeter (or fraction thereof) when the increase in performance is minute. Plan to be slightly over/under the required dimension and put your efforts into finding ways to produce real gain.
Also someone menchioned to how many digits of accuracy things are measured to, on the WS thread. Mr. anderson i think i think said that he didn't measure each plane, but rather puts them on a go or no go balance. and people were debating if 7.0g = 7.00000000g. Personaly i would accept anything equal or over to 6.95g (at least for regionals) but not all event supervisors think that way. so just do what fleet says above where i quoted him. I actually try to be WAY over/under the required dimentsion.

sorry about my bad spelling, i'm typing fast
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Return to “2009 Build Events”