Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elevated Bridge B/C

Post by Aia » May 10th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the clarification rjm. I had also been curious if you would allow our hands to guide the flow of sand- I'm glad to hear that that's okay. I'm looking forward to loading another structure at Nationals- this event has always been run so smoothly and it makes the pressure of loading significantly less stressful!
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

ebrules
Division: B
State: NH

Post by ebrules » May 10th, 2009, 9:04 pm

rjm, I have one question. Is it alright, if you laminate two 1/8" squared pieces together to make a theorized 1/8 by 1/4" piece of wood, but because of the glue, the width of the piece is slightly greater than 1/4"? In the rubric, it says that the pieces of wood should not be greater than 1/4" by 1/4". Do laminated pieces count as one, or is this rule based on each individual piece of a laminated piece? Here's a pic...kind of....

im not even sure why im asking this because we did not make it to nationals, but im still testing some designs. Would it be acceptable? it was at states, but just wanted to clear things up. Oh, also, on the top, i have a 1/8th by 1/16th glued onto the top of a 1/8th by 1/4th, similiar to the one above because i wanted to make it easier to level for the loading block. Is this alright as well?
Last edited by ebrules on May 10th, 2009, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rjm

Post by rjm » May 10th, 2009, 9:57 pm

ebrules, you are asking for a clarification on the rules. That should really go through proper channels. My personal opinion is that what you ask is okay. What I explained in my previous two posts is how the structure team at Nationals has been running the event at a specific tournament (Nationals) for the past five years. I can't speak for other tournaments.

Bob Monetza
Grand Haven, MI

ebrules
State: NH

Post by ebrules » May 10th, 2009, 10:12 pm

Oh, so on the rubric, it says, "Pieces of wood > 1/4" by 1/4" in cross-section diamter is used." Is pieces of wood (when wood is laminated) referring to each piece used to make one laminated piece, or is it referring to the dimensions of the entire laminated piece as a whole??

Dark Sabre
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: KY

Post by Dark Sabre » May 10th, 2009, 11:26 pm

When you have the rules in front of you read...

3.d. "Individual pieces of wood used in the bridge..."
4.c. "...Laminations may be any size provided..."

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
Division: C
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » May 11th, 2009, 11:59 am

RJM,
Could you please check PM - an important logistics question.
Thanks so much.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 » May 11th, 2009, 12:31 pm

ebrules wrote:rjm, I have one question. Is it alright, if you laminate two 1/8" squared pieces together to make a theorized 1/8 by 1/4" piece of wood, but because of the glue, the width of the piece is slightly greater than 1/4"? In the rubric, it says that the pieces of wood should not be greater than 1/4" by 1/4". Do laminated pieces count as one, or is this rule based on each individual piece of a laminated piece? Here's a pic...kind of....

im not even sure why im asking this because we did not make it to nationals, but im still testing some designs. Would it be acceptable? it was at states, but just wanted to clear things up. Oh, also, on the top, i have a 1/8th by 1/16th glued onto the top of a 1/8th by 1/4th, similiar to the one above because i wanted to make it easier to level for the loading block. Is this alright as well?
It would be ok. Rules state:
3d. "individual pieces of wood used must be 1/4" by 1/4" or less in cross-section dimentsions and may be any length.
4b. "wood may be laminated without restriction by the team. Laminations may be any size provided the INDIVIDUAl pieces of wood used in the lamination comply with line 3.d.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man » May 13th, 2009, 4:34 am

rjm wrote:
Hope that helps. There should be no surprises.

Bob Monetza
Grand Haven, MI
Just a quick note to also say thank you ; very helpful and much appreciated. There are enough surprises lurking in the wood...... eliminating the procedural ones is a big help.

Only three days to go, now. Be interested in (among other things) what Georgia humidity does to weight. Blevins, the Jr Hi team I've had the pleasure of working with the last 3 1/2 weeks, finished and weighed Sunday nite - a typical, dry Colorado day- 20% relative humidity. I'm guessing they'll weigh in.....at least a 1/10th, maybe a bit more, heavier.

Again, good luck to all at Nationals (and extra good luck to our hometown guys....)
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO

matthew8817
State: NE

Post by matthew8817 » May 13th, 2009, 7:52 am

Since this is a new event, does anyone know wut a placing efficiency is? My team has been working FOREVER on this. we are the b division team for nebraska and our nationals bridge will be #45. If some other nationals team wouldn't mind saying what they predict for nationals... :?:

2009 state events
Elevated Bridge = #2
Road Scholar = #1
Environmental Chemistry = #1
Went to Nationals!!!

2010 state events
Elevated Bridge = #1
Road Scholar = #5
Went to Nationals!!!

Return to “2009 Build Events”