Elevated Bridge B/C

Earthsci_dude
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Elevated Bridge B/C

Post by Earthsci_dude »

Hey everybody.
I decided to start a discussion for the new elevated bridge event. I had done boomilever for the last 2 years, along with bridge building the three years in division B before that. So i was planning on doing this next year.

I looked at the draft rules for this year. in a way it's sort of a mix of towers and bridge, so the best designs will use the combination of both i'd assume. possible other designs would be the "A" frame bridges, although that might work better for division B rules than in C. and this would also be a good year for using arches.

anybody have any thoughts on this event? (i guess this could be for both division C and B)
[MCC SO - '04, '05, '06] [NN SO - '07, '08, '09, '10]

glue boy.
Aia
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA

Re: Elevated Bridge 2009

Post by Aia »

I have built towers and boomilevers in the past 2 years, but not bridges. Are there any crucial ideas about them that I should understand?
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide
dudeincolorado
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CO

Post by dudeincolorado »

well i find them much easyer then towers :D at least the ones i desinged umm try some denser balsa for the peices conecting the two main side that helped me alot im not sure bout anything else
SO stressed!
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

I think I'm going to try my first few bridges in bass so I get a feel of what it can hold and what it should be like before I start doing balsa. With balsa, I feel its going to break because of the inconsistency in the wood before its going to break because of a design flaw.
Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades »

I've already tried buliding an elevated bridge just to get the hang of it and see what it was like. I built mine out of chopsticks and superglue.
Aia

Post by Aia »

tehkubix wrote:I think I'm going to try my first few bridges in bass so I get a feel of what it can hold and what it should be like before I start doing balsa. With balsa, I feel its going to break because of the inconsistency in the wood before its going to break because of a design flaw.
That's an intriguing idea! Do your structures get insanely strong upon using all that bass? Or do they just emphasize vulnerable/weak areas in the design?
Earthsci_dude

Post by Earthsci_dude »

Aia wrote:
tehkubix wrote:I think I'm going to try my first few bridges in bass so I get a feel of what it can hold and what it should be like before I start doing balsa. With balsa, I feel its going to break because of the inconsistency in the wood before its going to break because of a design flaw.
That's an intriguing idea! Do your structures get insanely strong upon using all that bass? Or do they just emphasize vulnerable/weak areas in the design?

yes, that is actually a very good idea. balsa in general is a lot more inconsistent than bass, although i hand select and test each piece before i buy it, so i don't usually have that problem as much. I'm lucky enough i guess to have a hobby shop near by that has a great selection of wood and sizes (of bass, balsa, spruce, cherry, etc) and it was always good quality. The owner called me "that boomilever kid" cuz i went in there so much. but i guess i can't be the boomilever kid next year =O.. guess i'll have to settle for the bridge boy.

glue boy.
sachleen
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by sachleen »

My coach gets all of our wood.. He doesn't usually bring a scale or anything, and we tend to have a lot of wood left over. :( too bad we cant return it, that would be awesome! Maybe 'exchange' it??
Earthsci_dude

Post by Earthsci_dude »

haha.. i wish you could "exchange" it... my division B coach always bought big packs of wood. but in a pack of like 50 sticks only like 10 of them were any good. so instead of wasting so much, now i buy it on my own at the hobby shop.

i've came up with several designs, that i like. so we'll see how much i still like them after i build them. i'll prolly be doing that sometime soon.

glue boy.
Aia

Post by Aia »

I built an elevated bridge about a week ago according to the new specs. Based on my resulting structure, I'm guessing this event will be pretty difficult. I want to use a tension member to connect the distal ends so badly!

I have not tested it yet.... but as soon as my Scioly team meets up (3wks probably) I'll test it then. Has anyone else started building?

Return to “2009 Build Events”