Oh,okay sorry :)
sciencegeek100
Division: Grad
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Elevated Bridge B/C

Post by sciencegeek100 »

[quote="cypressfalls_Robert"}{quote="croman74"]I don't know. I wasn't able to watch any, as I had a full schedule. Maybe it was wider than the Standard Minimum clearance, so that the block fit between it.[/quote]
our bridge was apparently like .001 mm to tall so we got 2nd tier and still got 16th somehow... idk why half our regional had illegal bridges...

that was our lowest event... the other 4 non medals were: 7th 8th 8th 9th

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nationals History...

2008: Team 1st, Rocks 2nd
2009: Team 3rd, Fossils 7th
2010: Team 5th, Fossils 4th, Ornithology 7th Egg o Naut 6th
2011: Team 4th, Ornithology 3rd
2012: Team 2nd (Assistant Coach)
2013: Team 3rd (Assistant Coach)
croman74
Division: C
State: MI

Post by croman74 »

In my region, the 7th and 8th place would've gotten medals. And that happened to me in scrambler. I got 2nd tiered, yet still placed 15th.
Right now I'm working on a new design for bridge. I have a feeling it'll be a strong bridge. I'll probably test on Tuesday, tomorrow if I have time.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Well, we just re-tested Peter's bridge that held all 15kg at State - curious how over-engineered it was. It went to 18.65kg; with a 10.0gr weight, 1,865 efficiency. Using the safety tower, could see exactly what failed. Failure was in one of the top members, right where compression member goes down, and one side of the load block sits.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
croman74

Post by croman74 »

That's a strong bridge!
I finished my bridge today. It weighs 18 grams, and it feels really strong. I think it might hold all 15 kg. If it does, then there are some small changes I can make to bring the weight down. I can't wait to test!
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by nejanimb »

Really interesting to see that bridge you put up. 1800+ is indeed a pretty high efficiency. I don't think I've seen any designs quite like that, and certainly not any that have turned out good scores. I'm very interested to see what the top nationals bridges look like.
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
Balsa Man
Coach
Coach
State: CO

Post by Balsa Man »

Thanks, croman & nejanimb.
Good luck on your next test, croman. When you say it feels strong- yes, you can get a good sense with feel

I'll be VERY interested to see what turns up at Nationals; I hope we get some good photos.
Len Joeris
Fort Collins, CO
2win
State: TX

Post by 2win »

What are good bridge efficiancies for TX state?
k-tx. retiring from scioly.
nejanimb
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by nejanimb »

Balsa Man wrote:Thanks, croman & nejanimb.
Good luck on your next test, croman. When you say it feels strong- yes, you can get a good sense with feel

I'll be VERY interested to see what turns up at Nationals; I hope we get some good photos.
I'll hopefully be taking some pictures while I'm there and when I'm not competing. Hopefully our bridge will be up there! =).
Harriton '10, UVA '14
Event Supervisor in MA (prev. VA and NorCal)
croman74

Post by croman74 »

nejanimb wrote:
Balsa Man wrote:Thanks, croman & nejanimb.

I'll hopefully be taking some pictures while I'm there and when I'm not competing. Hopefully our bridge will be up there! =).
Maybe we should hire paparazzi. 8-) And what Balsa Man said about the feel, I definitely agree with that. You can tell how your bridge will be based on how much it gives if you put slight pressure. Mine barely gives at all. And if it holds all 15 kg, I can definitely bring the weight of the bridge down. I have a feeling that this will be my competition bridge, and I haven't even tested it!
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st

Return to “2009 Build Events”