Elevated Bridge B/C

jander14indoor

Re: Elevated Bridge 2009

Post by jander14indoor » January 3rd, 2009, 4:32 am

croman74 wrote:For the pieces that connect one top chord to the other, should you have them on the outside like this one
http://sciolyor.ipower.com/4images/deta ... age_id=204

or on the inside like this one
http://sciolyor.ipower.com/4images/deta ... age_id=169
The first one. That shows lap joints as others have discussed. The second one shows butt joints, not as effective a joint.

Jeff Anderson
Livonia, MI

croman74
Division: C
State: MI

Post by croman74 » January 3rd, 2009, 6:55 am

Thanks. I wasn't sure which one would be better because I saw both being used.
My 2010 Events
Elevated Bridge-7th
Trajectory-1st
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner." -Lyndon B. Johnson

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by smartkid222 » January 3rd, 2009, 7:55 am

i used butt joints for the first bridge because i thought that using larger pieces of would would compensate for bad joint technique....i was wrong.
Keyreaper wrote:So far, the highest efficiency I've seen was a 10 gram bridge holding all 15 kilos...(for those of you that can't do mental math, that equals efficiency of 1500) It was built by St.Joesph in MO I believe. The one trailing after that was a bridge that was around 14-16 grams, if i recall right, holding between 10 and 11 kilos. (about an efficiency 700) Then our team placed 3rd with a 14 gram bridge holding around 8 kilos. (about 500)
Thanks for the report.
However. There were at least 10-15 more people between third and second that were from the same school that placed in second, and their bridges didn't count because only one school could only have one bridge place, meaning the highest one could place. But then you guys probably know that :D .
Um. no. i dont' know that. I don't think i quite understand you. At my competition all the bridges tested get a placement (1st, 2nd,..60ish,) And do you mean that 10-15 more people got inbetween 700-500 efficiency score? Was this at a regionals?

The efficiencies of most bridges I've seen range usually from 200-500. But there have been a couple over 500, and under 200. Mine placed around 100 :lol: EPIC FAIL! But the bridge that I am now building will do a lot better, because I threw together the first bridge in about 4 hours...hehe

Anyways, at the next competition I will ask for a sheet of the efficiencies of all bridges that were tested, and hopefully post it on here.
According to what you said there were 13-18 people who got above 500. And then you said that most people got 200-500. That means that you have a very large competition, so these efficiences should be pretty accurate for the rest of us.

lol epic fail. I"m sure you'll do better. Good luck next time and sorry for being picky.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Aia
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by Aia » January 3rd, 2009, 9:15 am

Pleiades wrote:
Aia wrote: Well, I'm going to be proctoring elevated bridge at a B division invitational in a couple weeks. I'll let everyone know the efficiency range afterwards. How is testing going out there? The B division building team I've been helping is struggling to hit the 15kg mark, so their efficiencies aren't competitive yet. I'm at a point where I've chosen a final design and every half a gram lost is an uphill battle. Anyone else out there have updates on their structures?
Has the invitational happened yet? if so, do you have the ranges? thanks :D
January 10th. : )

And a question for keyreaper: What division were those scores from?
Science Olympiad Alumna and Volunteer
Aia's Boomilever Guide: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Aia%27 ... ever_Guide

sean9keenan
State: PA

Post by sean9keenan » January 3rd, 2009, 9:20 am

Smartkid, I believe that Keyreaper is talking about division B, not that I'm a stalker or anything, but he made a post in the Scrambler forum that leads me to believe that he is in Division B.

When he mentioned that, "There were at least 10-15 more people between third and second that were from the same school that placed in second, and their bridges didn't count because only one school could only have one bridge place, meaning the highest one could place." I believe he meant that it was an invitationals tournament, that would seem to make the most sense as it seems likely that at invitationals teams could enter multiple people into an event just for fun (especially a building event).
SoCal Event Supervisor. H2S2O for ever. Competed in Builds & Physics events

Keyreaper

Post by Keyreaper » January 3rd, 2009, 10:16 am

smartkid222 wrote:i used butt joints for the first bridge because i thought that using larger pieces of would would compensate for bad joint technique....i was wrong.
Keyreaper wrote:So far, the highest efficiency I've seen was a 10 gram bridge holding all 15 kilos...(for those of you that can't do mental math, that equals efficiency of 1500) It was built by St.Joesph in MO I believe. The one trailing after that was a bridge that was around 14-16 grams, if i recall right, holding between 10 and 11 kilos. (about an efficiency 700) Then our team placed 3rd with a 14 gram bridge holding around 8 kilos. (about 500)
Thanks for the report.
However. There were at least 10-15 more people between third and second that were from the same school that placed in second, and their bridges didn't count because only one school could only have one bridge place, meaning the highest one could place. But then you guys probably know that :D .
Um. no. i dont' know that. I don't think i quite understand you. At my competition all the bridges tested get a placement (1st, 2nd,..60ish,) And do you mean that 10-15 more people got inbetween 700-500 efficiency score? Was this at a regionals?
The efficiencies of most bridges I've seen range usually from 200-500. But there have been a couple over 500, and under 200. Mine placed around 100 :lol: EPIC FAIL! But the bridge that I am now building will do a lot better, because I threw together the first bridge in about 4 hours...hehe

Anyways, at the next competition I will ask for a sheet of the efficiencies of all bridges that were tested, and hopefully post it on here.
According to what you said there were 13-18 people who got above 500. And then you said that most people got 200-500. That means that you have a very large competition, so these efficiences should be pretty accurate for the rest of us.

lol epic fail. I"m sure you'll do better. Good luck next time and sorry for being picky.
SmartKid:
http://www.garrettsbridges.com/building/bridge-joints

Somewhat detailed report and differences between the 3 joints.

Sorry for not explaining well enough. MOST of the students that were from the same school, that placed in second, placed under us (in third). But there were maybe 3 or 4 that placed above us, from that same school. I guess because I was tired from making my bridge that I didn't go over and make sure what I had wrote would make sense. But in total there were at least 40 bridges that contested.
No, this was not at regional,it was at pre-tournaments. I'm not sure if the would work that way in regionals, but that's the way it worked for us in pre-tournys.

I'm not as good as you with the quote thing, yet. So sorry that I posted it all down here. Hopefully this explains most of your questions.

Thanks, and good luck to you too. :D

Aia: The scores are from Division B

Sean9Keenan: Yes that was the name of the tournaments I was going to... I shall also have another one in Jan 10 :D. Then its on to regionals. Hurrah.
Image <--- Woooo

"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes"

"Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe"

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 » January 3rd, 2009, 10:34 am

I believe he meant that it was an invitationals tournament, that would seem to make the most sense as it seems likely that at invitationals teams could enter multiple people into an event just for fun (especially a building event).
I have never been to an invitational so i did not know that. So a team can enter as many bridges at they want (and really it's the best one that counts). And what you said make sense, now that i know that were 40 bridges competing.

sorry for making a big deal out of this.
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Keyreaper

Post by Keyreaper » January 3rd, 2009, 11:06 am

Ugh... Almost done with my 3rd bridge... It looks good so far. And I will try to post it on by the end of today. Right now I'm letting the glue "set" and "harden". I do have to say. Trying to build 2 different bridges simultaneously is very difficult. But I'm working on my 4th bridge and it is an arch bridge with "legs" pretty much. When both of them are tested I will decide on which one I will stick with.
Image <--- Woooo

"Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes"

"Faith consists in believing when it is beyond the power of reason to believe"

smartkid222
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by smartkid222 » January 3rd, 2009, 1:33 pm

what glue are you using?
Image 2008 NY BLG Champ
2010 NY Helicopter Champ

Pleiades
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: AL

Post by Pleiades » January 3rd, 2009, 1:35 pm

my bridges arnt really doing to well :|
Last edited by Pleiades on January 3rd, 2009, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2009 Build Events”