iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by iwonder »

The best I've seen are plastic cups or some sort of glass container. I've used plastic bags and hated it, the team before is used the same bags and one had ripped open, spilling a powder over the other bags. This made it almost impossible to pull out the right powder without contamination...
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
vxpvm
Division: C
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by vxpvm »

Also, I would suggest having a few alternative ID methods for powders just in case you don't get all the materials that are supposed to be provided, I've run into cases where we didn't even get a candle, let alone a Bunsen burner, so have other ways of identifying things like boric acid other than the flame test.
spackenkillkid
State: NY

Post by spackenkillkid »

Are you sure? The event sheet says the supervisor is required to provide a bunsen burner. Also I do know how to do identify that without a flame test anyway.
Flavorflav
State: NY

Post by Flavorflav »

spackenkillkid wrote:Are you sure? The event sheet says the supervisor is required to provide a bunsen burner. Also I do know how to do identify that without a flame test anyway.
Sometimes supervisors don't follow the rules. You'll be okay at States, though - Mr. Holdren always gives you Bunsen burners.
darkwinters
State: IL

Post by darkwinters »

spackenkillkid wrote:Are you sure? The event sheet says the supervisor is required to provide a bunsen burner. Also I do know how to do identify that without a flame test anyway.
I"ve been to an invitational where they used a technicality by stating that they had to provide bunsen burners, but they didn't have to light them.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

That's why I have a striker in the kit! :P
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
darkwinters
State: IL

Post by darkwinters »

iwonder wrote:That's why I have a striker in the kit! :P
A lot of the strikers they have at my school are worn out, so we brought a lighter.
AlphaTauri
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: PA

Post by AlphaTauri »

darkwinters wrote:
I"ve been to an invitational where they used a technicality by stating that they had to provide bunsen burners, but they didn't have to light them.
Yep, always bring your own matches -- which are also good to use for fibers burn tests -- and/or lighter. I say matches/lighters but not strikers, because the former can also double as makeshift flame test equipment. Forensics at Stoga didn't have bunsen burners (idk why, because we were in a high school chem lab), so myself and a few other teams in the first block used the matches/lighters we'd brought as jury-rigged bunsen burners... until they said "no more fire" because the room had filled with smoke from an unrelated incident.
Hershey Science Olympiad 2009 - 2014
Volunteer for Michigan SO 2015 - 2018

]\/[ Go Blue!
emily_anne17
State: KY

Post by emily_anne17 »

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between PC and PMMA polymers besides using the density test?

Return to “2014 Lab Events”