Forensics C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Forensics C

Post by pikachu4919 »

heidi456 wrote:Does anyone have helpful information pertaining to the glass analysis portion of this event?
Just know how to interpret fracture patterns and know how to use the density solutions that you use for plastics to identify the glass too, in which you would use their indexes of refraction. See [wiki]http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Forensics#Glass[/wiki]
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
vxpvm
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by vxpvm »

How are you guys telling apart sodium bicarbonate vs sodium carbonate, and sodium acetate vs sodium chloride? I tried pH but that doesn't really seem to be very distinctive. Has anybody had luck with NaOH? I can't figure out what we're supposed to do with it, or which compounds are soluble in it and which aren't. :P
keke
State: TN

Post by keke »

Are flame tests or HCl/NaOHtests more helpful when identifying powders?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Well, so kinda need both. Flame tests only discern certain powders, but HCl/NaOH/Benedicts tests only separate other powders. Probably not what you wanted, but on there own neither are really helpful.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
esola3
State: NY

Post by esola3 »

Will we need to know how to do TLC chromatography in addition to paper chromatography?
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

I've never seen it used. But we had extra space on out sheets so we added it :D
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
chenyingjie
State: MA

Post by chenyingjie »

Time seems to be one of the most challenging parts in this event. Are there any suggestions about how time should be managed? Thx.
vxpvm
State: CA

Post by vxpvm »

chenyingjie wrote:Time seems to be one of the most challenging parts in this event. Are there any suggestions about how time should be managed? Thx.
Last year, my partner and I split up the test. My partner was the one who worked on the qualitative analysis part, while I did the written test, and when she was done with the powders, she would come and help me finish whatever stuff I had left. Make sure you know what your priorities are! The summary part is worth 30% of your score, and a lot of teams last year didn't even get to that part.
labchick
Division: B
State: TN

Post by labchick »

vxpvm wrote:
chenyingjie wrote:Time seems to be one of the most challenging parts in this event. Are there any suggestions about how time should be managed? Thx.
Last year, my partner and I split up the test. My partner was the one who worked on the qualitative analysis part, while I did the written test, and when she was done with the powders, she would come and help me finish whatever stuff I had left. Make sure you know what your priorities are! The summary part is worth 30% of your score, and a lot of teams last year didn't even get to that part.
This is about how I split it up with my partner last year (and in previous Crime Busters years as well). It works really well, and sometimes we have time at the end of the test to go over each other's answers etc. We actually printed the rules and assigned one of us to each part e.g QA, bullets, hair, fingerprints, write-up/summary. My only regret is that he chose Forensic Entomology, so it's not worth it for me to spend time learning that although I find it really interesting.
luvs_science
State: KS

Post by luvs_science »

What does everyone put on their papers? I have some basic stuff that my teams have used in previous years but would like more information.
2013 Events Experimental Design, Designer Genes, Fermi Question, Forensics, Robot Arm, Thermodynamics and Write it Do it.

Return to “2014 Lab Events”