Forensics C

Jim_R
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Forensics C

Post by Jim_R »

-The path of the Administrator is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

-Nothing\'s gonna get deleted. We\'re gonna be like three little Fonzies here. And what\'s Fonzie like? Come on, what\'s Fonzie like?
-Cool?
-Correctamundo. And that\'s what we\'re gonna be. We\'re gonna be cool. Now, I\'m gonna count to three, and when I count three, you let go of your mouse, and back away from the keyboard. But when you do it, you do it cool. Ready? One... two... three.
navigator
Division: C
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by navigator »

Anyone have any general advice on how to study for this event? If I don't have a lab setting to actually go to and perform flame tests, look at hairs under a microscope, etc., is just studying/memorizing everything and doing practice tests without the lab experience sufficient? :|
Last edited by navigator on August 2nd, 2014, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-2014-
[Regionals] Entomology (2), Dynamic (5), Disease Detectives (6)

-2015- :)
[Regionals] Entomology (2), Dynamic (1!)
[States] Entomology (2), Dynamic (3), Experimental Design (5)
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Sadly in most cases it's not. The main issue with this event is time, so you really need to practice and nail down proceudures and lab skills to do well. It's sad to say, but I haven't really found a substitute for it. Maybe someone else has a similar situation or better idea as to what to do.
'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
computergeek3
State: PA

Post by computergeek3 »

navigator wrote:Anyone have any general advice on how to study for this event? If I don't have a lab setting to actually go to and perform flame tests, look at hair's under a microscope, etc., is just studying/memorizing everything and doing practice tests without the lab experience sufficient? :|
I'm not trying to be glib here, but find a lab near you. Lab experience truly is the best way to prepare for this event.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't know it well enough. -Albert Einstein

Bayard Rustin Science Olympiad 2010-2014
Pittsburgh Allderdice Assistant Coach
navigator

Post by navigator »

iwonder wrote:Sadly in most cases it's not. The main issue with this event is time, so you really need to practice and nail down proceudures and lab skills to do well. It's sad to say, but I haven't really found a substitute for it. Maybe someone else has a similar situation or better idea as to what to do.
computergeek3 wrote:I'm not trying to be glib here, but find a lab near you. Lab experience truly is the best way to prepare for this event.
Okay, thanks to both of you for the advice. I'll try to find a lab nearby or see if my school is willing to let me use theirs.
-2014-
[Regionals] Entomology (2), Dynamic (5), Disease Detectives (6)

-2015- :)
[Regionals] Entomology (2), Dynamic (1!)
[States] Entomology (2), Dynamic (3), Experimental Design (5)
masser12

Post by masser12 »

Hi that's my first year doing this event so I don't really know where too start. I was thinking about buying a textbook and start from there, so what book would you recommend for me to buy?
pikachu4919
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

masser12 wrote:Hi that's my first year doing this event so I don't really know where too start. I was thinking about buying a textbook and start from there, so what book would you recommend for me to buy?
eh...idk about a textbook. While you can learn a lot of the principles for the Qualitative Analysis section in a chemistry textbook and maybe mass spec, a lot of the material covered in Forensics is not really in any particular textbook. Personally, I'd definitely recommend research for everything, especially everything that's not chemistry-related.
In terms of chemistry, the Qualitative Analysis is mostly application of chemical reactions, which is possible to learn from a textbook, but for chromatography and mass spectroscopy, do some research (maybe YouTube for chromatography) because while those are mentioned in textbooks, most don't go into great detail about how to do them.

Thus, to make a long story short, just do lots of research. The wiki on this website is a good source for information, as are many other sites. PM me if you want to.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
allisonc524
State: NM

Post by allisonc524 »

navigator wrote:Anyone have any general advice on how to study for this event? If I don't have a lab setting to actually go to and perform flame tests, look at hair's under a microscope, etc., is just studying/memorizing everything and doing practice tests without the lab experience sufficient? :|
I went into regionals last year without any preparation, and got fourth. Encouraged by that, I studied my arse off in the two weeks between regionals and state, and managed to achieve first. My experience probably isn't typical, but it is possible to do well without lab experience. Although I had been in a competition beforehand, I didn't really do any of the lab work (my partner and I looked at fingerprints and hair, and did absolutely nothing with the powders, etc.) I found the wiki extremely helpful in preparing. Make yourself a flow chart (on your one cheat sheet) for IDing powders, and fill the rest of the space with anything you think you might want to know. Look at the rules sheet and the different parts of the events, and prepare based on that. Know your stuff, and be confident in the lab setting even if you don't have experience. It worked for me, I hope it can work for you.
Events:
Forensics: Invitationals: 4th State: 1st
Forestry: Invitationals: 4th State: (unable to compete) My partner made 7th though!
heidi456
State: TX

Post by heidi456 »

Does anyone have helpful information pertaining to the glass analysis portion of this event?
ZachAndCheese
State: IN

Post by ZachAndCheese »

The best way to study for forensics is to just test the powders however you can and write down as many observations i.e. physical appearance and reaction to different tests. Same with the other stuff, EXCEPT plastics. Don't burn plastics. Ewe
formerly MOB WIVES CHICAGO leah d
DIVISION CNORTHRIDGERAIDERS
Disease Detectives
Forensics

Return to “2014 Lab Events”