'If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room' - Unknown
chenyingjie
Division: C
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Forensics C

Post by chenyingjie »

Time seems to be one of the most challenging parts in this event. Are there any suggestions about how time should be managed? Thx.
vxpvm
State: CA

Post by vxpvm »

chenyingjie wrote:Time seems to be one of the most challenging parts in this event. Are there any suggestions about how time should be managed? Thx.
Last year, my partner and I split up the test. My partner was the one who worked on the qualitative analysis part, while I did the written test, and when she was done with the powders, she would come and help me finish whatever stuff I had left. Make sure you know what your priorities are! The summary part is worth 30% of your score, and a lot of teams last year didn't even get to that part.
labchick
Division: B
State: TN

Post by labchick »

vxpvm wrote:
chenyingjie wrote:Time seems to be one of the most challenging parts in this event. Are there any suggestions about how time should be managed? Thx.
Last year, my partner and I split up the test. My partner was the one who worked on the qualitative analysis part, while I did the written test, and when she was done with the powders, she would come and help me finish whatever stuff I had left. Make sure you know what your priorities are! The summary part is worth 30% of your score, and a lot of teams last year didn't even get to that part.
This is about how I split it up with my partner last year (and in previous Crime Busters years as well). It works really well, and sometimes we have time at the end of the test to go over each other's answers etc. We actually printed the rules and assigned one of us to each part e.g QA, bullets, hair, fingerprints, write-up/summary. My only regret is that he chose Forensic Entomology, so it's not worth it for me to spend time learning that although I find it really interesting.
luvs_science
State: KS

Post by luvs_science »

What does everyone put on their papers? I have some basic stuff that my teams have used in previous years but would like more information.
2013 Events Experimental Design, Designer Genes, Fermi Question, Forensics, Robot Arm, Thermodynamics and Write it Do it.
MathGeek22
State: PA

Post by MathGeek22 »

Same. I put basic stuff also. In addition I added many flow charts of information needed to be known through the rules. I also added more specific details of topics in which I did not study as much. I continued adding until there was no room left. You never want unused space on a cheat sheet.
2013 Events: Regional scores
Disease Detectives - 4
Food Science - 6
Road Scholar - 5
Sounds of Music - 1

Favorite Events: (highest place)
Storm the Castle - (1 at regionals and 3 at states)
Sounds of Music - (1 at regionals)
Road Scholar - (3 at regionals)
Can't Judge a Powder - (2 at states)
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

Of course, this year you can go really in depth with it all since you get so much space :D
darkwinters
State: IL

Post by darkwinters »

Does anyone have suggestions for identifying plastics?

I know they mentioned vegetable oil and 10%/25% NaCl solution, but the rules don't explicitly state we're allowed to bring them.
iwonder
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: TX

Post by iwonder »

No, but the ES will provide them if they're needed. I've only been to one contest that didn't provide them, and in all honesty I don't think that contest was run as it could have been.
darkwinters
State: IL

Post by darkwinters »

iwonder wrote:No, but the ES will provide them if they're needed. I've only been to one contest that didn't provide them, and in all honesty I don't think that contest was run as it could have been.
Ah.
Thanks!

Return to “2014 Lab Events”