Experimental Design B/C

Phys1cs
Division: Grad
State: MD
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by Phys1cs »

Asteroidea wrote:Right but my question deals with more of what if you get a plot that looks exponential? Should you graph it as an exponential line or linear? I guess in that question the emphasis should have been on the word linear.
plot whatever type of line it looks like. If you have a ti 93-94 or higher there are tons of types of regressions you can do. Choose the one that applies the most
GeoChamp96
Division: C
State: TX

Post by GeoChamp96 »

I hope this isn't a stupid question... I apologize if it is, I know how frustrating it is to write answers to questions that should be painfully obvious.

In section h of the rubric, it asks for a "Condensed table with most important data included". My team interprets this as a smaller table, separate from the main one with only one column. In this smaller table, they put the average for each level of the independent variable. To me, this seems like extra work for no reason, especially since they specifically ask for the mean of each level in the statistics section.

Is this an accurate way of interpreting the rubric? I've gone through several practice sessions with my team in which I write the data this way, so I can do it if that's what they want. If possible though, I'd love to skip writing unnecessary stuff whenever possible.

Thanks.
fozendog
State: WA

Post by fozendog »

GeoChamp96 wrote:I hope this isn't a stupid question... I apologize if it is, I know how frustrating it is to write answers to questions that should be painfully obvious.

In section h of the rubric, it asks for a "Condensed table with most important data included". My team interprets this as a smaller table, separate from the main one with only one column. In this smaller table, they put the average for each level of the independent variable. To me, this seems like extra work for no reason, especially since they specifically ask for the mean of each level in the statistics section.

Is this an accurate way of interpreting the rubric? I've gone through several practice sessions with my team in which I write the data this way, so I can do it if that's what they want. If possible though, I'd love to skip writing unnecessary stuff whenever possible.

Thanks.
Yeah, that's what you're supposed to do.
It's redundant, but it provides a quick reference to anyone who wants to see the mean and not all the data.
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

fozendog wrote:
GeoChamp96 wrote:I hope this isn't a stupid question... I apologize if it is, I know how frustrating it is to write answers to questions that should be painfully obvious.

Thanks.
It's redundant, but it provides a quick reference to anyone who wants to see the mean and not all the data.
My partner just makes 3 different tables, one for each level of IV containing 3 trials with that IV, then puts the mean and standard deviation right underneath that...and then makes a condensed table

Is it best to make 3 different tables like that, or is it best to make one big table with all of your IV levels, trials, means, SDs together, and then make a condensed table by just cutting out the trials and SD columns/rows?
Phys1cs
State: MD

Post by Phys1cs »

Crazy Puny Man wrote:
fozendog wrote:

Thanks.
My partner just makes 3 different tables, one for each level of IV containing 3 trials with that IV, then puts the mean and standard deviation right underneath that...and then makes a condensed table

Is it best to make 3 different tables like that, or is it best to make one big table with all of your IV levels, trials, means, SDs together, and then make a condensed table by just cutting out the trials and SD columns/rows?

In the section for data table, we make two tables. One for all trials of all IVs, plus averages. Then our condensed table is just the averages of all IVs. Our statistics is a table with all IVs, and the mean, median, mode, SD, variance.... etc.
AJTheGreat1729
State: IL

Post by AJTheGreat1729 »

We make two tables, but they are different. One includes Stats, All levels of IV/trials, and then the condensed table with averages for each level.
HeavyHitter406

Post by HeavyHitter406 »

Yeah...you should put the averages in both the statistics and your condensed table. Just a tip, I would label your condensed table condensed/summary table because I have seen two separate rubcrics, one which says condensed table and one that says summary table. We put both just in case.
2014 (Wright State/Lisle/Grayslake/Regionals/State/Nationals)

Water Quality: 8/1/2/1/2/3
Experimental Design: 12/1/5/5/8/37
Road Scholar: 12/2/2/3/3/11
Wheeled Vehicle: 32/6/6/2/11/5
AJTheGreat1729

Post by AJTheGreat1729 »

How long does it take on average for your team to finish the procedure? Also, I have been having trouble with the analysis of data section. Any tips?
2014 R/S/N
Entomology 2/3/x
Road Scholar 2/3/x
Experimental 5/8/x
Team 1/2/x

“Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
[witty comment][/witty comment]
Mortem_Haedo
Division: B
State: OH

Post by Mortem_Haedo »

AJTheGreat1729 wrote:How long does it take on average for your team to finish the procedure? Also, I have been having trouble with the analysis of data section. Any tips?
About 10-15 minutes for all of the procedures ^_^
AJTheGreat1729

Post by AJTheGreat1729 »

Thanks ^_^ We take about half an hour for one nine-step procedure... .-. :oops:
2014 R/S/N
Entomology 2/3/x
Road Scholar 2/3/x