XJcwolfyX
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Experimental Design B/C

Post by XJcwolfyX »

mary5297 wrote:
Phys1cs wrote:
mary5297 wrote:I'm just wondering how people are preparing for this event because it seems as if my group and I aren't preparing "correctly". People have given us materials, and our goal would be to come up with an experiment, perform the experiment, and write the experiment in the 50 minutes. Are we preparing correctly? Should we get someone to give us a specific topic question and work from there?
Is someone looking at your lab? You should get someone (teacher, or someone else familiar with a lab) to "grade" it on the official rubric so you know what you are consistently forgetting/missing. Add in a topic question, because you always get one at the competitions, so it's much closer to replicating the competition itself.
Yes, we have been receiving feedback. We were just unsure if we were supposed to receive topic questions because from past experience, we were never given a topic question and were simply told to create a random experiment with the materials that were given, but thank you for the suggestions! :)
They do occasionally, but not always give topic questions. Sometimes they also give a theme... like "gravity" or "absorbency".
Medal Counter: 73
Crazy Puny Man
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

Yeah, generally you'll want to have a theme or topic like you will at competition.

Practice like you play (and that means use graph paper for the graphs unlike my partner who sometimes forgets and draws out the axes himself on blank paper :P)
Astroknight
State: TN

Post by Astroknight »

XJcwolfyX wrote:
mary5297 wrote:
Phys1cs wrote:I'm just wondering how people are preparing for this event because it seems as if my group and I aren't preparing "correctly". People have given us materials, and our goal would be to come up with an experiment, perform the experiment, and write the experiment in the 50 minutes. Are we preparing correctly? Should we get someone to give us a specific topic question and work from there?
Is someone looking at your lab? You should get someone (teacher, or someone else familiar with a lab) to "grade" it on the official rubric so you know what you are consistently forgetting/missing. Add in a topic question, because you always get one at the competitions, so it's much closer to replicating the competition itself.

Yes, we have been receiving feedback. We were just unsure if we were supposed to receive topic questions because from past experience, we were never given a topic question and were simply told to create a random experiment with the materials that were given, but thank you for the suggestions! :)
They do occasionally, but not always give topic questions. Sometimes they also give a theme... like "gravity" or "absorbency".
They always give themes for us.
TSA's pretty cool... i guess

2015 events:
Essays on Technology, Tech Bowl, Water Infrastructure, Website Design
XJcwolfyX

Post by XJcwolfyX »

Yeah, it just depends on the supervisor. I've had plenty where there was no theme at all, and some where there is a rich back-story to the whole experiment... Those ones are always the most fun. :)
Medal Counter: 73
ML
State: NY

Post by ML »

Hello! Do any of you happen to know who the proctor is? Is the proctor for B Division the same as last year or two years ago? Thank you!
hmath729
State: CA

Post by hmath729 »

I'm thinking about trying out for Experimental Design at my school next year and I was wondering... What's the most important part of the procedure that you really can't forget to do?
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-
GoofyFoofer
State: OH

Post by GoofyFoofer »

don't ask me! :P
Smith Middle School
Dayton, OH
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

hmath729 wrote:I'm thinking about trying out for Experimental Design at my school next year and I was wondering... What's the most important part of the procedure that you really can't forget to do?
Everything.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
hmath729
State: CA

Post by hmath729 »

:) Thanks Unome.
Go HVS Dolphins!
"You don't beat the tests. The tests beat you!"
Medals (10 total) Inv./Reg./State
Anat. -/4th/-
BPL 1st!/1st!/-
DD. -(9th)/1st!/-
Anat. -(8th)/4th/-
BPL 2nd!/5th/-
DD -(9th)/4th/-
Anat. -(8th)/5th/-
DD -(9th)/5th/-
Heredity -(7th)/-(7th)/-
Crazy Puny Man
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man »

hmath729 wrote::) Thanks Unome.
Number your steps, include diagrams. Makes the ES's job a lot easier.

Return to “2014 Lab Events”